Poll 3: Do you think that you need a cure?

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

answer
Poll ended at 12 Feb 2012, 7:08 am
I am autistic and I think that autism is something wrong with me which needs to be cured 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
I am autistic and I think that there is no cure to be discovered or taken as there is nothing wrong with me 75%  75%  [ 41 ]
I am not autistic and I think that autism is a bad thing and so autistics need to be cured 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I am not autistic and I think that there is no cure as autistics are not ill 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 55

Trainbuff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2011, 7:07 pm

I want a cure that would get rid of the negative aspects of AS. Like staring, voice sounding weird, walking funny, crappy social skills, etc.

But the Special interests!? Those can stay lol. :)

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

15 Dec 2011, 7:33 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Being autistic is like being a basketball player with a broken leg: They can try to play the game but it's painful and difficult and they always lose. If they avoid the pain by sitting on the sidelines, they're bored silly and depressed watching others happily play. Who the hell WOULDN'T want their broken leg fixed?

More directly, an autistic person is just like any ordinary person except with sensory, emotional and social disabilities. Fix the disabilities, and you get the person they were truly meant to be. Otherwise, they remain a broken human.

So, yes, cure me! God damnit, I want a cure!

What if the basketball player receives a bang on the head and no longer wants to play basketball? Then he wouldn't get bored or depressed, and curing his broken leg would be a waste of time.

What if the bang to the head slowly, but surely, went away? Given enough time, minor injuries are curable and they never have to deal with them again given the person doesn't continue to receive bangs to the head. And people wouldn't continue to receive bangs if they weren't... *stepping over from metaphor land*... autistic.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 7:59 pm

swbluto wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Being autistic is like being a basketball player with a broken leg: They can try to play the game but it's painful and difficult and they always lose. If they avoid the pain by sitting on the sidelines, they're bored silly and depressed watching others happily play. Who the hell WOULDN'T want their broken leg fixed?

More directly, an autistic person is just like any ordinary person except with sensory, emotional and social disabilities. Fix the disabilities, and you get the person they were truly meant to be. Otherwise, they remain a broken human.

What if the basketball player receives a bang on the head and no longer wants to play basketball? Then he wouldn't get bored or depressed, and curing his broken leg would be a waste of time.

What if the bang to the head slowly, but surely, went away? Given enough time, minor injuries are curable and they never have to deal with them again given the person doesn't continue to receive bangs to the head. And people wouldn't continue to receive bangs if they weren't... *stepping over from metaphor land*... autistic.

Guess what? Broken legs heal too!

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

15 Dec 2011, 8:02 pm

Ganondox wrote:
swbluto wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
swbluto wrote:

Broken legs were metaphorical for autism and autism doesn't go away.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 8:11 pm

swbluto wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
swbluto wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
swbluto wrote:

I know. Which is why your metaphor failed.

I'd like to be NT for just one day, that's all. Only then will I know the truth about autism, I cannot know how I think unless I know personally how others think. I think I'm going to be in for a major disappointment though: I heard that only the autistic can visual animated pictures vividly, and I also heard such a vivid imagination is the greatest gift in the world. I believe that if someone grew up autistic, but was turned NT, they would probably kill themselves as they WOULDN'T get the gifts from being NT and they would loose the gifts from being autistic.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 8:29 pm

Ganondox wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
swbluto wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
swbluto wrote:

Do you *really* think that? The *point* of the metaphor doesn't crumble just because every possible teeny-tiny, irrelevant detail isn't analogically perfect. If you honestly think that, stop being so fricking autistic. :lol:

Quote:
I'd like to be NT for just one day, that's all. Only then will I know the truth about autism, I cannot know how I think unless I know personally how others think. I think I'm going to be in for a major disappointment though: I heard that only the autistic can visual animated pictures vividly, and I also heard such a vivid imagination is the greatest gift in the world. I believe that if someone grew up autistic, but was turned NT, they would probably kill themselves as they WOULDN'T get the gifts from being NT and they would loose the gifts from being autistic.

I hear from NTs that people with autism tend to be unimaginative and dull. However, I understand you meant "ability to visualize" which is a bit different and I guess it's a great gift.

Last edited by swbluto on 15 Dec 2011, 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 8:43 pm

I am autistic and I do not need a cure.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 8:47 pm

swbluto wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
swbluto wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
swbluto wrote:

Quote:

Do you *really* think that? The *point* of the metaphor doesn't crumble just because every possible detail isn't perfect. If you honestly think that, stop being so fricking autistic. :lol:

Quote:

I hear from NTs that people with autism tend to be unimaginative and dull. However, I understand you meant "ability to visualize" which is a bit different and I guess it's a great gift.

The thing about people with autism being unimaginative and dull is a straight out lie caused by ignorance.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 8:49 pm

I believe autism is merely a different way of perceiving the world. It is not inherently right or wrong, so there is no need to cure it.

Of course, NTs are the majority and thus society is inclined in their favor. I admit it sometimes bother me, but despite any doubts I may have, I would not want to change the way I am; I am more interested in improving myself. Therefore, no cure for me. There is nothing to be cured of.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 8:55 pm

Ganondox wrote:
The thing about people with autism being unimaginative and dull is a straight out lie caused by ignorance.

No, it's actually true. When NT people talk with each other, they recall associated ideas and often make use of people in order to make an "interesting reply" (To NTs, anyways.) and Aspies don't tend to have this kind of imagination, also called "Social imagination". The fact that many aspies prefer communicating directly instead of indirectly in an imaginative way is testament to this lack of imaginative communication.

However, I understand your point that "social imagination" isn't the same as "imagination". But, when NTs say "imagination", this is what they mean and they're correct from their point of view.

Last edited by swbluto on 15 Dec 2011, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 9:02 pm

swbluto wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

No, it's actually true. When NT people talk with each other, they recall associated ideas and often make use of people in order to make an "interesting reply" (To NTs, anyways.) and Aspies don't tend to have this kind of imagination, also called "Social imagination". The fact that many aspies prefer communicating directly instead of indirectly in an imaginative way is testament to this lack of unimaginative communication. Someone goofed up. :lol:

However, I understand your point that "social imagination" isn't the same as "imagination". But, when NTs say "imagination", this is what they mean and they're correct from their point of view.

That's not being unimaginative and dull, that's lacking social imagination. Usually they are referring to classic imagination, and they say it out of ignorance as they mistake it with social imagination.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 9:05 pm

Ganondox wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

No, it's actually true. When NT people talk with each other, they recall associated ideas and often make use of people in order to make an "interesting reply" (To NTs, anyways.) and Aspies don't tend to have this kind of imagination, also called "Social imagination". The fact that many aspies prefer communicating directly instead of indirectly in an imaginative way is testament to this lack of unimaginative communication. Someone goofed up. :lol:

That's not being unimaginative and dull, that's lacking social imagination. Usually they are referring to classic imagination, and they say it out of ignorance as they mistake it with social imagination.

That's true.

Common NT Assumptive Follies:

Social imagination is mistakened for "classic/general imagination".

Social intelligence is mistakened for "General intelligence".

Social competence is mistakened for "General competence".

NTs seem to have a track record for extrapolating everything from the social realm to every realm.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 9:20 pm

swbluto wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

That's true.

Common NT Assumptive Follies:

Social imagination is mistakened for "classic/general imagination".

Social intelligence is mistakened for "General intelligence".

Social competence is mistakened for "General competence".

NTs seem to have a track record for extrapolating everything from the social realm to every realm.

Yes. If they were correct I'd be a ret*d, boring, useless blob. I might as well be a rock. Actually I'd be worse than a rock, as you can use a rock as hammer. Its easy to see how these misconceptions paint such a negative view of autism.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 10:54 pm

I can understand wanting to lessen the more negative effects of being on the spectrum, but not to erase everything, good or bad.

Okay, going to draw a parallel here. Imagine this:
You have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, with peanut butter on both pieces of bread and the jelly in between the peanut butter. If you were to take a knife and scrape off all the jelly, you would take a fair bit of peanut butter and possibly some bread with you, changing the entire sandwich. Now take that and apply it to Autism and the idea of a cure: the bread and peanut butter are everything that makes up the person, the jelly is the Autism and the knife is the cure. If you took away Autism from someone, you would take away a large chunk of who they are. I do not want to become someone different just to be "normal."

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

21 Dec 2011, 10:32 am

btbnnyr wrote:
The poll results look like a non-verbal cue that I know and love.

rofl!! ! your right it does look like we gave this poll the finger. Awesome.

Jojo