Anyone think that their hearing is more acute with AS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

athacliath72
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Dec 2011, 7:08 pm

I'm no expert on the condition and don't feel entirely comfortable typing this but I have thought back to a couple of instances of meltdown where I've had a go at people whom I've perceived as having said things about me, I know that the only perception that you have is your own, but I'm 100% adamant that in both instances that paranoia wasn't playing a role.

The reactions of the people involved on both occasions seem to indicate disbelief that they could have been overheard from the distance they were away from me, of course coupled to the fact that most folk (ourselves included) would deny everything to a) avoid a confrontation and b) it doesn't look cool to be found out behaving like a jerk

Any thoughts on hearing and AS?

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2011, 7:17 pm

Not only hearing! Hypersensitive senses are a symptom of AS and a rather beneficial one at that. I'm always hearing or smelling something my friends don't when we're walking around, at first they thought I was crazy (I guess I am a little, especially when I start sniffing around for no real reason) but now I'm the high authority on all things olfactory and audible. However, I can't stand bright street lights, loud, sudden noises make me freeze up and stare and I can't stick around strong smells like perfume or rubbish for a long time so it's really sort of a mixed blessing.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 7:20 pm

I have very acute hearing. I can hear people breathing, swallowing, sniffling, talking from downstairs in my house with the door of my opposite-side upstairs room closed. It is entirely possible for you to hear people's conversations from far away.

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2011, 7:26 pm

My hearing is probably weaker than my sense of smell, still much better than others I know, I have crazy long hair that drapes over my ears(yeah, I'm a hippie, shoot me) but again, I know what you mean and it's awesome is it not?

SilverSolace
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Dec 2011, 11:11 pm

I do have heightened/more sensitive senses. Is my hearing more acute because of the sensitivity? If you mean I can hear higher and lower pitches than most people can, and hear quieter sounds from farther away, then yes. However, I also have auditory -processing- issues, and while my hearing is great for noticing sounds most people can't even hear, many sounds (especially human voices) can sound muddled or ambiguous to me, so I'm not ideal for eavesdropping on conversations.

At the original poster's situation...
The thing is, if you hear someone talking badly about you form farther than they think you can hear, confront them about it. But don't do it in a way that will make you seem like you are initiate something. Just take something they said about you, quote in front of them, and then question them about it. For example, if you hear "*your name* is so stupid" etc etc, just call out to them or walk up and say, "Hey, you think WHO is stupid?" or "Woah, are you talking about me?"

Or just say "I can still hear you" or "The feeling is mutual" if you're -entirely- sure they're talking badly about -you- or a friend. (I dont know if you ever have hearing mixups, but be sure you catch the name of the person they are talking about. They might even be talking about a different person with your name. That's something I've encountered in the past.)

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2011, 11:39 pm

I've always had very good hearing. My other senses? Not so much.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 11:48 pm

Technically it's not more acute but we don't automatically integrate auditory/visual/touch/etc signal information so we can allow ourselves to hear whatever can be heard without it having to 'make sense'. I can cite papers for all of that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 12:30 am

Both my sight and my hearing are very acute. I find it to be an advantage. I can always make my way to safety if something suspicious is going on. I also have very strong intuition as well.