Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 1:14 pm

This is possibly more an attention deficit issue than an AS trait but anyway! I find it difficult to finish a task, its like I lose energy and focus two thirds of the way through, this is particularly applicable to household chores but it occasionally occurs half way through a project, its like an off button is released.
Paradoxically, there are times when I can persevere to the point where meals and sleep are missed!

alex
Developer
Developer

09 Oct 2006, 1:33 pm

fresco wrote:
This is possibly more an attention deficit issue than an AS trait but anyway! I find it difficult to finish a task, its like I lose energy and focus two thirds of the way through, this is particularly applicable to household chores but it occasionally occurs half way through a project, its like an off button is released.
Paradoxically, there are times when I can persevere to the point where meals and sleep are missed!

same thing here. how do you deal with it?

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 1:57 pm

Well with the distraction issue I just try really hard to get myself engaged in the job, and think of something more enjoyable I can do once the drudgery is completed.

With over-persevering I have to try and prise myself off task;its like lifting a limpet off a rock. When I know I am getting obsessed with something I tend to get quite anxious these days because I know it has the capacity to take over my life, so I am more aware of the warnings now, but its still tempting to work till 4am!

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 2:06 pm

I'll put my hand up to that.

I try and budget for that energy/enthusiasm dip, yes, classically between 1/2, and 2/3 in, when deciding on whether the project is likely to be worthwhile or completable.

Another route is to have a promise or deadline for someone else hanging over me.
If I've told someone else I'll have it done, my word to them carries weight.
That works as motivation, but it makes for real pressure, sometimes.

Last edited by Emettman on 09 Oct 2006, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greyhelium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 2:12 pm

same thing. i just dont often have the mental strength. either that or laziness, but i think the former.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 2:51 pm

It can go either way for me. Sometimes I get annoyed if I don't finish a task, and sometimes I'm just too lazy.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 5:01 pm

fresco wrote:

Ditto.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 5:05 pm

fresco wrote:

Me too.

MelancholyBunny
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 5:09 pm

My main issue in getting things done is that i need specific conditions before i can start. Which means i rarely get get things done.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 12:13 am

Finishing a task is not so much an issue for me, but I do get reeeeally cranky if someone tells me to stop mid task to start another one.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 12:58 am

paulsinnerchild wrote:
...but I do get reeeeally cranky if someone tells me to stop mid task to start another one.

Amen, brutha.
Drives me nuts.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

10 Oct 2006, 1:04 am

I hate it when it's the SAME person who told me to do the original task that tells me to do a new one, it just really gripes me.
"But I thought you wanted me to do this?"
"No, do this task now!"
"God, make up your bloody mind!"

I have this problem all the time when Mum has told me to do homework but Dad tells me to mow the lawn. And we have a pretty big lawn.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

10 Oct 2006, 1:12 am

Yeah it could be ADHD and/or ASD.

The part of not being able to finish is classic ADHD.

The part of hyperfocusing on things you want to do is also very typical
of ADHD. Like a kid may not be able to spend 5 minutes cleaning his room
but can spend 12 hours playing the same video game.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 2:12 am

I have problems finishing a tasy, when it is something out of my special interest. But I'm perseverant when I'm interested.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 4:04 am

Maybe you could try throwing yourself into something you're highly interested in, that will show you for sure if you can complete what you begin..

Though personally I've always loved music, I almost gave up once or twice, but each time I did it never left my thoughts, so I knew it was a part of me, and consequently never severed from it again.

Find your passion, or explore anything you desire and it will find you.

Pancho
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2006, 10:02 am

What you have all said pretty much describes me to a Tee. I have the shortest attention span for something I'm not interested in but I can get so involved in something that I am and can concentrate on it for hours.

In college we have some lessons that are an hour fourty five minutes, its a long time and I get so distracted by the smallest things. In one lesson I spent most of the time watching a bird that kept flying around outside. What the teacher was saying I'll never know. I also tend to doodle in class and end up in my own little world. If the teacher then asks me a question I have no idea how to answer it as I hadn't heard what they were saying at all.