Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 10:25 am

Do you agree that a brown eyed and blue eyed parent mixture will produce a child with either 'hazel', green or blue eyes but for some reason not really brown or basically what happens is that the child with will start of with brown eyes but they will turn too green or hazel as they older.?

Take me for instance at 22 years old my once really brown eyes are getting a slight green/gold tint too them and i reckon in 5 years they will be mostly hazel than brown and who knows in 10 years they could be a muddy green color. my mum has blue eyes and my father brown eyes and i have noticed this pattern in other people with blue and brown eyed parent. i notice as well that its usualy the first born who has hazel eyes and the second born has blue eyes and usually the child with blue eyes there eye color stays the same but thats not the case with the darker eyed child.

so why does this happen with blue/brown eyed parent mixture because we have always been taught that brown eyes are dominant over lighter colors like hazel and blue. you can disagree with me if you want too but i believe that lighters colors eventually win out over brown in this type of case.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 10:31 am

The same thing happened to me. My mother is black with incredibly dark brown eyes. My father is white with blue eyes. My eyes were just brown. Now at fifty I look like my eyes are orange because of my dark skin - if i were very light, they'd just simply be hazel.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 10:31 am

There are some people who's eyes change over time. As people get older, they lose the pigment in their eyes and that causes their eyes to become a lighter colour. You should be proud of that difference that you have. 8)

mv
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 10:35 am

Jamesy wrote:
so why does this happen with blue/brown eyed parent mixture because we have always been taught that brown eyes are dominant over lighter colors like hazel and blue. you can disagree with me if you want too but i believe that lighters colors eventually win out over brown in this type of case.

No, you are mistaken. I'll try to explain why.

I have dark brown eyes. There are no blue or green eyes in my family - none.

My ex-husband has blue eyes. Our children have brown eyes, but my grandchildren, if my kids' husbands have blue eyes, could have blue eyes. In other words, my kids are carriers for blue, but of course brown was expressed in their eyes since it's dominant. My kids could not have had blue eyes since I'm not a carrier for anything but brown.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 10:51 am

Eye colors can be pretty unprectable.

Both of my grandparents have blue eyes. Both of their daughters have green eyes. Daughter one had three kids, two with green eyes and one with blue. Daughter two had me with green eyes. Both of the daughter's husbands have blue eyes. I have no idea why green eyes popped up out of nowhere, but I'm not complaining. I love having green eyes and in pageants, judges prefer them over blue these days. I've only lost Prettiest Eyes twice in over two years. As a baby, I had deep blue eyes but they changed to light green as a toddler with a very small touch of aqua and hazel.

As for brown eyes, that will definitely be dominant over the lighter colored eyes. That's just the way it is. Same thing for darker hair over fairer hair. There's always exceptions, but it's not exactly common.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

15 Dec 2011, 10:53 am

That's certainly the case for me, my eyes shift colors, so My family and I just say that they're hazel. But if my mom describes me to someone and I show up with greenish or blackish eyes, that doesn't really visit the description of hazel unless I explain it. :roll:

Did I mention I'm a notorious eye roller? :P

CocoNuts
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2011, 1:14 pm

Both my parents have brown eyes, but I have blue eyes. That's because

B dominant
b recessive

Mom side:----------Dad side:
Bb----B?-------------bb----B?
---\--/------------------\---/
----Bb-------------------Bb
-----\--------------------/
---{25%BB,50%Bb,25%bb}
------------------------^that's me!

By the way, eye colour is not just influenced by one gene (the dominant/recessive thing is about the quantity of melanine in the iris, but colour is also influenced by the scattering of the light in the stroma). Maybe dark green/hazel eyes have much melanine but a scattering of the light - stroma composition - more similar to that of blue eyes than of brown eyes.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 2:01 pm

I have hazel eyes and my husband has brown eyes. We have:

One son with blue eyes
One daughter with green eyes
One son with brown eyes
One daughter with black eyes.

All four of those kids have the same parents.

My dad had brown eyes, my mother has hazel eyes.

My father in law had blue eyes, my mother in law has brown eyes.

One a side note, one of my dogs has brown eyes but the other one has yellow eyes.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com