Poll 8: "PC" wording, is it right to request?

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Answer
Poll ended at 13 Feb 2012, 12:15 pm
I am autistic and if I had to pick I'd say that overall I mostly agree with the sentiments expressed in the text 32%  32%  [ 7 ]
I am autistic and if I had to pick I'd say that overall I mostly disagree with the sentiments expressed in the text 68%  68%  [ 15 ]
I am not autistic but I had to pick I'd say that overall I mostly agree with the sentiments expressed in the text 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am not autistic and if I had to pick I'd say that overall I mostly disagree with the sentiments expressed in the text 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

15 Dec 2011, 9:23 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Really, the use of words is all about context. If someone calls me a ret*d, I get offended, as would many others on the spectrum, I'm sure. But if me and my Aspie best friend are talking and jokingly use the term "ret*d" to describe something, neither of us care.
Just like when the word ni***r, if used between two Blacks or in rap music, is harmless, but if a White person calls a Black person a ni***r, it's derogatory. You're absolutely right. In the end, it depends on the social situation.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 9:46 pm

Radiofixr wrote:
I have a problem with that vile "R" word which I hate because I am not in anyway cognitively disabled and I have been hurt by being called that term.

I also hate that same word for the same reason.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 9:48 pm

Freak-Z wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Freak-Z wrote:
People who complain about political correctness, just want an excuse for being rude.

"What do you mean I can no longer use the n word to describe a black person! what I also can't use the r word to describe a disabled person! It's political correctness gone mad!" :roll:

Again, that's offensive context. The words themselves, however, are just words.

My router's being ret*d, it keeps dropping my connection. How is that the same?

But you are still using it to mean something bad, words are not just words actually they have meanings. But you probably think you are being cool and rebellious by using them.

The meaning of words changes and varies, that's how English has evolved over the years. And the word had negative connotations in the first place, but the important thing is, I'm not using it to insult disabled people, I'm using it to describe an object.

SyphonFilter wrote:
Just like when the word ni***r, if used between two Blacks or in rap music, is harmless, but if a White person calls a Black person a ni***r, it's derogatory. You're absolutely right. In the end, it depends on the social situation.

Precisely.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Dec 2011, 11:26 pm

Freak-Z wrote:
Not really a big fan but Stewart Lee nails it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGAOCVwLrXo[/youtube]

I really like this routine. Wish more people understood this. Also, I'm never sure what to think about his comment about people who are up at 5 am, since the first time I watched this clip, it was 5 am. ;)

Anyway, people complaining that they're being told not to use particular words should probably stop complaining about that. No one can force you not to use certain words, but you need to be willing to deal with the consequences of using those words.

And yeah, I have no love for people referring to objects or situations as ret*d or gay. Arguing that context makes it not offensive is like Humpty-Dumpty arguing that words mean what he says they mean - fairly arbitrary.

I find it bizarre that anyone who objects to being told that some words are offensive feel perfectly comfortable telling other people how they should react to offensive words. Your perspective doesn't override other people's.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 8:28 am

No, my perspective doesn't override everyone else's but if we cater to every person who is offended by a word, imagine how limited our language would become. I'm not talking about words that seem to offend people so much, such as the n word. I'm talking about words such as disorder, disability, etc. Also words which aren't meant to be offensive in the first place.

I read something recently about the topic of the word "retarted". I tried to Google the article, but I've only just got up and I still have a morning caffiene deficiency. When I get my blood levels back up, I may be able to find it. As it is, I'm going to explain what I remember of it, then Google to find it later.

Years and years and years ago, medical professionals and textbooks used the words "moron" and "idiot" to refer to someone who is what we now, apparantly temporarily, call "developmentally delayed". At that time, these words were not commonly used as insults, and no offense was implied. Those words began to be used as insults much more frequently, so the word "ret*d" began to be used by professionals. Now that word became an insult so they use "developmentally delayed" which is now apparantly an insult as well.

What wording should we use for people who are truly developmentally delayed? Or for people with profoundly low IQ? Eventually, whatever wording that becomes the norm will have negative connotations and people will use it to insult others and it will have to be changed to spare everyones feelings and paint a happy and sunny overall picture. Even the word "special" is not becomming an insult. Although it is used jokingly as well.

My point is, we could find a word to use instead of anything else but someone, somewhere will take offense to it. The autism spectrum disorders could be called "unicorn and rainbows happy condition" and someone would still take offense. Being offended by a word itself, without taking into consideration the context and intent of the speaker/writer makes no sense and is being oversensitive.

Are we going to get to a point as a society where nothing is called anything that anyone could ever perceive as negative? Are dead bodies going to eventually be called "people with different living capabilities"? Will we get to a point where we can never say "old" or "elderly" anymore and have to say "those with the advantage of many accumulated years of life"? Do you see my point?

One poster said that people who complain about PC want to use non PC words to bully. That couldn't be farther from the truth. A bully doesn't care about what is socially acceptable, they do what they want anyway, so why would they complain? Using words in their proper context, or using them in joking context is not bullying anyone. How could using the word "disorder" possibly be considered bullying, in any sense of the word, unlles someone were continiously poking you in the chest saying "disorder" over and over, but then it would still be bullying if they were saying the word "omlette".,

A word is a word, and people can use even the most pleasant sounding euphamisms to insult. An example would be saying "Oh, you are going to your autism spectrum learning advisor today?" with particular emphasis on "autism spectrum learning" in such a way as to insult. Someone with a good vocabulary and understanding of meanings of words can also greatly insult you without using any non PC words or terms.

The only way we can ever prevent someone or some group, somewhere, from being offended by language is to simply ban all written and spoken language and return to simple crude forms of sign language rather than regular sign language because those are words too.

One thing that I haven't seen pointed out is that while everyone has a right to not be discriminated against, no one has a right to not be offended.

</ rant on PC>

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 8:41 am

"If I had a large amount of money I should certainly found a hospital for those whose grip upon the world is so tenuous that they can be severely offended by words and phrases and yet remain all unoffended by the injustice, violence and oppression that howls daily about our ears." -Stephen Fry

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 8:45 am

^5 Asp-Z

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 3:25 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
No, my perspective doesn't override everyone else's but if we cater to every person who is offended by a word, imagine how limited our language would become. I'm not talking about words that seem to offend people so much, such as the n word. I'm talking about words such as disorder, disability, etc. Also words which aren't meant to be offensive in the first place.

I read something recently about the topic of the word "retarted". I tried to Google the article, but I've only just got up and I still have a morning caffiene deficiency. When I get my blood levels back up, I may be able to find it. As it is, I'm going to explain what I remember of it, then Google to find it later.

Years and years and years ago, medical professionals and textbooks used the words "moron" and "idiot" to refer to someone who is what we now, apparantly temporarily, call "developmentally delayed". At that time, these words were not commonly used as insults, and no offense was implied. Those words began to be used as insults much more frequently, so the word "ret*d" began to be used by professionals. Now that word became an insult so they use "developmentally delayed" which is now apparantly an insult as well.

What wording should we use for people who are truly developmentally delayed? Or for people with profoundly low IQ? Eventually, whatever wording that becomes the norm will have negative connotations and people will use it to insult others and it will have to be changed to spare everyones feelings and paint a happy and sunny overall picture. Even the word "special" is not becomming an insult. Although it is used jokingly as well.

My point is, we could find a word to use instead of anything else but someone, somewhere will take offense to it. The autism spectrum disorders could be called "unicorn and rainbows happy condition" and someone would still take offense. Being offended by a word itself, without taking into consideration the context and intent of the speaker/writer makes no sense and is being oversensitive.

Are we going to get to a point as a society where nothing is called anything that anyone could ever perceive as negative? Are dead bodies going to eventually be called "people with different living capabilities"? Will we get to a point where we can never say "old" or "elderly" anymore and have to say "those with the advantage of many accumulated years of life"? Do you see my point?

One poster said that people who complain about PC want to use non PC words to bully. That couldn't be farther from the truth. A bully doesn't care about what is socially acceptable, they do what they want anyway, so why would they complain? Using words in their proper context, or using them in joking context is not bullying anyone. How could using the word "disorder" possibly be considered bullying, in any sense of the word, unlles someone were continiously poking you in the chest saying "disorder" over and over, but then it would still be bullying if they were saying the word "omlette".,

A word is a word, and people can use even the most pleasant sounding euphamisms to insult. An example would be saying "Oh, you are going to your autism spectrum learning advisor today?" with particular emphasis on "autism spectrum learning" in such a way as to insult. Someone with a good vocabulary and understanding of meanings of words can also greatly insult you without using any non PC words or terms.

The only way we can ever prevent someone or some group, somewhere, from being offended by language is to simply ban all written and spoken language and return to simple crude forms of sign language rather than regular sign language because those are words too.

One thing that I haven't seen pointed out is that while everyone has a right to not be discriminated against, no one has a right to not be offended.

</ rant on PC>

Thank you, that is what I was saying earlier. You just said it better than me is all.

And some people are offended with PC words so technically people are being PC by not being PC. :wink:

murasaki_ahiru
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2011, 4:23 pm

So Im the same with League Girl and Olive Oil Mom on this issue.

Freak-Z
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2011, 5:49 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
"If I had a large amount of money I should certainly found a hospital for those whose grip upon the world is so tenuous that they can be severely offended by words and phrases and yet remain all unoffended by the injustice, violence and oppression that howls daily about our ears." -Stephen Fry

Stephen Fry is not the be all and end all you know.

Freak-Z
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2011, 5:55 pm

There used to be a time when I could beat up a black person, harass women and make fun of the disabled, now they are saying I can't! It's that political correctness gone mad I tell ya!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 6:04 pm

Freak-Z wrote:
There used to be a time when I could beat a black person, harass women and make fun of the disabled, now they are saying I can't! It's that political correctness gone mad I tell ya!

No one is wanting to beat black people, harass women or make fun of the disabled. I'm simply saying that that PC is going too far. Also, i'ts not "disabled", it's "differently abled" you know. If you want to be a promoter of PC-dom and put down anyone who is against it, you need to fall in line and become "schooled" on it.

arnoldism
Raven
Raven

17 Dec 2011, 5:42 am

pensieve wrote:
I hate ASC (autism spectrum condition) instead of ASD. It just sounds like they are sugar coating it so it makes their children feel better. It's a disorder, if it weren't it wouldn't be in the DSM IV.

Hi, I really do value your opinion but this caught my eye and I have to comment back: I really find people's faith in other people's categorisations of the neurology of others quite confusing; you do realise that, for example, homosexuality was until very recently officially classified as a disease. So when someone says something like "Of course it's this because the official people class it as this" regarding anything neurological, I think; ...... That said I do value your opinion, maybe you believe that regarding this issue it’s accurate because you also agree, or that you don’t know but have faith in the official statements because people have changed in this short time and now everything is much more accurate? Personally I don't think so but I'd listen to anyone who says otherwise and consider what they have to say.

arnoldism
Raven
Raven

17 Dec 2011, 5:44 am

nat4200 wrote:
arnoldism wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
I think equality is good, but politically correct language is a pain in the ass and the less of it the better.

yeah, everyone has their own ideas of what is "PC" and what isn't but you could try to find some common ground, as in the example no obvious derogatory terms is maybe a good start or even a good end if you want to call the rest of being "PC" too much trouble and a waste of time

@arnoldism: My small experience with aspies and being on the spectrum myself, is that we do best with "honest" labels, (to repeat myself) we like it when stuff "is what it say of the tin". I embrace political correctness to quite a degree, as I do like to avoid offending people, but stop short of using "doublespeak" which obscures one's true meaning.

I have embolden part of your response above, I think telling people how they should have responded (esp. in a manner that is visible to those that haven't answered your question yet) is generally bad for the integrity of your results :roll: (even if in this case I think people will still be inclined to answer based on their own understanding anyway)

To give you a better understanding of where I stand, I have never been called the "R" word Radiofixr refers to but it makes me angry when I hear it used in a derogatory fashion (even the Black Eyed Peas "Let's Get ret*d" makes me a little angry), as does the misuse of "gay" even though I'm not LGB or T, and I've not used the term "gipped" since I found out it was a slur (I honestly didn't see the connection until it was spelled out on an episode of House :oops:) ...

Radiofixr wrote:
I have a problem with that vile "R" word which I hate because I am not in anyway cognitively disabled and I have been hurt by being called that term.

Hi, by this what I'm really trying to say is not: "Vote for this one!!" but rather: Why oh why did I use "PC" in the title and why do people have such an adverse reaction to it?!? Please just forget that I said "PC" and focus on everything else; the text and do you agree with the sentiments. The text isn't so much about being "PC" as not being negative about a neurology, that is different, in my opinion anyway. I think that on this one people have focused in too much on their hatred of "political correctness" which I didn't know they had when asking the question.

It is interesting to compare the results of this poll to poll 4 which asks "which is the best way to speak about the mentality of autistics? Using negative terms, neutral terms or positive terms?" Almost everyone in that poll so far has said that neutral is the obvious choice yet when seen put into practice as in the example text, which explicitly says "Use neutral terms to describe someone's neurology" more people have voted against, though I don't know if they are the same people or if there is something else in the text, questions and answers other than the mention of "PC" which is so swaying them the other way on this one.

I won't lie and say that there isn't a part of me which would love everyone to agree with me but, the rest of me considered, overall I want everyone to say their absolute honest opinion, to express themselves and to have a voice, even if everyone's opinion is the opposite of my own.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Dec 2011, 6:18 am

OliveOilMom wrote:

This is a slippery slope. See, the words I see people complain about are used as slurs. When you hear those words, they often herald harassment or outright violence and because of that history, some people even find hearing the words retraumatizing.

Quote:

I have never seen "developmentally delayed" used systematically as an insult. I would also argue that the assumption that those words represented neutral medical terminology and were not insulting in their origination is probably incorrect.

Quote:

Okay, this isn't true. There are a lot of words that have been used for a long time that are not generally offensive, that if this cycle was truly as you say, would be two or three generations back on the offense cycle. The argument that "you could name it something sweet and fluffy and someone will still take offense" is not a valid argument, because the question is not "What terms, in some indefinite future, might be taken as offensive?" But rather specific terms, that these days are explicitly used as slurs and insults. That is, a concrete definition of a current usage.

Quote:

This is more slippery slope. We've been calling people old and elderly for centuries, and it does not seem to be an issue yet. Let's try to stick to things that have actually happened?

Quote:

Actually, this is interesting, because I have encountered bullies who complained about "having words taken away from them" as if anyone could force people to stop using any particular words - which is another fallacy of political correctness arguments. No one is forcing you to not use any word you want. Even if you want to use the most offensive slurs you can think of, no one is standing around telling you that you can't, at least not in any way that could be enforced.

Now it is true there are social and sometimes professional consequences for using that language, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote:

Yes, this is true. But not relevant. Odds are pretty good that these words aren't going to develop a history as an oppressive slur used to harass people. And obviously you can't outlaw sarcasm.

Quote:

This is another slippery slope fallacy. A very small number of words in the English language are widely considered offensive. A very very small number. It does not grow at a constant or expanding rate. It actually grows very slowly. Your example of Moron -> ret*d -> Developmental Delay is actually significantly less common than words that are simply offensive slurs.

Can you argue this from the state of the world as it exists today instead of constructing increasingly unlikely scenarios that are never going to come to pass?

Quote:

I believe a commonly used phrase in this situation is that dog won't hunt. It is true that no one has a right to not be offended, but no one has a right to not experience any consequences for offending people.

And watch that Stewart Lee video someone linked. It is right on target about complaints that PC is going too far. When you have to resort to unfalsifiable examples of a future that will probably never come to make your point, you probably do not have much of a point to make.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 12:25 pm

arnoldism wrote:
pensieve wrote:
I hate ASC (autism spectrum condition) instead of ASD. It just sounds like they are sugar coating it so it makes their children feel better. It's a disorder, if it weren't it wouldn't be in the DSM IV.

Hi, I really do value your opinion but this caught my eye and I have to comment back: I really find people's faith in other people's categorisations of the neurology of others quite confusing; you do realise that, for example, homosexuality was until very recently officially classified as a disease. So when someone says something like "Of course it's this because the official people class it as this" regarding anything neurological, I think; ...... That said I do value your opinion, maybe you believe that regarding this issue it’s accurate because you also agree, or that you don’t know but have faith in the official statements because people have changed in this short time and now everything is much more accurate? Personally I don't think so but I'd listen to anyone who says otherwise and consider what they have to say.

I have yet to see being gay make someone unable to do something they want to be able to do.