Lack of sleep caused by mind on overdive

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2011, 1:23 pm

Been looking for months now for work and i recently i had a rash of 2nd and 3rd round interviews with companies and i have been trying to kick up my game a bit. My mental stability that has kept me sane since the start of my job search has partially collapsed and as a result, i have started to get delusional, my mind going into overdrive when i sleep, thinking of some weird things and i have not had a good night's rest in days. Seeing how companies are not hiring much during the holidays, i am going to tone down my search for the next few weeks, spend more time with the ones I care about and enjoy the holiday season.

Any solutions to get me out of this funk?

DrS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2011, 3:10 pm

Well, I know this is only addressed at part of the issues you describe, but it sounds like doing some 'winding down' techniques before bed might be helpful. Have a quiet half-hour before bed. Make sure there's no phone/computer/bright lights in that half-hour (or in bed). When in bed, try some meditative and relaxing thought techniques, like imagining taking the main dominating thing you're thinking about, and sealing it in a box so it can't get out. Then imagine doing it with the next pressing thing until 1) you're brain is calm or 2) you fall asleep. Do not think or worry about how little sleep you're getting. Getting a good night's sleep can have many positive knock-on affects.

B3astM4n
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2011, 3:43 pm

DrS wrote:
Well, I know this is only addressed at part of the issues you describe, but it sounds like doing some 'winding down' techniques before bed might be helpful. Have a quiet half-hour before bed. Make sure there's no phone/computer/bright lights in that half-hour (or in bed). When in bed, try some meditative and relaxing thought techniques, like imagining taking the main dominating thing you're thinking about, and sealing it in a box so it can't get out. Then imagine doing it with the next pressing thing until 1) you're brain is calm or 2) you fall asleep. Do not think or worry about how little sleep you're getting. Getting a good night's sleep can have many positive knock-on affects.

Perfect advice. I have the same problem, I will admit I have to take sleeping pills (That's a last ditch option if you need it, if it's affecting your ability to attain a job), but I like to read or I watch a movie while I'm laying down and after a bit your eyes just start to get heavy and your mind calms and sleep comes. Breathing exercises help some people too! Also, you can get melatonin over the counter. It's safe, natural, helps you sleep and slows your thoughts down to a normal pace.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 5:05 pm

Take some benedryl at least an hour before you plan on going to sleep. You shouldn't even have to take a full dose. Up it to a full dose if it's not effective.

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2011, 9:46 am

DrS wrote:

Good idea. Would it be ok if i used a relaxation app i use? it has sounds like birds chirping/raindrops/other relaxing sounds that i can use to zone out and relax.

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2011, 9:52 am

Meditate for just a little bit before sleep say 10-15 mins. Meditation helps reduce the number of thoughts running in my mind.

anonymous-shyster
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2011, 10:19 pm

If you're depressed and can get on to tricyclics (amytriptelene) it's great for sleep. Take it an hour and a half before bed, and it's the best night sleep you'll ever have.

DaBuddha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2011, 10:30 pm

I have this problem to the point where I have to take 3 medications for sleep sometimes. I just can't stop thinking at night and relax.

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2011, 3:23 pm

Been a few days now and i am back to normal. Thanks for all the help