Autistic versus neurotypical = space versus time?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

georgewilson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2011, 2:14 pm

I think I've stumbled on an effective model, perhaps already touched on in horizontal/vertical thinking debates, for the difference between basic autistic and basic neurotypical viewpoints that's broad enough to include the many variations thereof. Let me know if this is better for the sciences forum:

The neurotypical mind focuses more on time than on any other dimension, looking at the world as a linear progression from implied beginning to expected outcome, while the autistic mind focuses more on spatial dimensions, looking at the world as a universal system of variables and items interacting to produce constantly changing conditions, albeit with patterns that can be tracked through language and numbers.

Although I'm not sure everything about Einstein's life fits with the standard account of his presence on the spectrum, I certainly would not be surprised if such a person would have the objectivity to analyze time in such a way as to integrate it into space (the basic gist of relativity), instead of conceiving it the other way around, as the neurotypical perspective more or less dictates.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 3:41 pm

Sounds interesting but I'm not sure on the premise; ie. for the most part I've understood horizontal vs. vertical as either deep but narrow personality vs. broad but shallow. While some social butterflies are just lucky enough to be both deep and wide, they're a rather particular cut of that pool. You have introversion also which tends to lead to people having big inner worlds, depth, and historically you had great war heroes and generals who were phenomenal under duress, they were the kings of the battlefield, but once they rejoined civilian life they were social nobodies in that, I suppose, they just weren't good at small talk or playing the games.

It seems more or less that our preferences for order of saliency though go way back - either to genetics, to early childhood development, likely some combination of both. If for instance one made the mental relation early on in life that *the* place of importance was the people around them; they develope along a certain line where that importance is played out. If they develop along a line where things, ideas, etc. seem to hold a more appealing reality, then that unfolds its own way. Similarly I've seen plenty of NT's who are intellectual, introverted, attractive (even female) who can't land dates and then aspies who would fit the NT social butterfly stereotype perfectly aside from that its made awkward by some obvious quirks.

In one of my own moments of horror while really trying to combat my PDD-NOS, I found myself at a particular club where they were playing 80's and it was a big goth/punk crowd (which had me already feeling out of place as at the time I was more hip hop/hard-style rave), I also noticed that while almost everyone was almost hopelessly pulled in to the goings on between each other and that everyone was walking the floor from place to place, person to person, with an agenda that they barely needed to think about - I couldn't focus on anything aside from - I see a big room, a bar, dancefloor lights, a nice wood floor, different tables, and last and sadly least - a whole bunch of people. That moment truthfully scared the hell out of me because I realized that not only was I something very different internally from everyone else but, more than likely, I'd never be able to establish the gearing to be able to do what they do - it seemed like it was just absent from me. Then again, I'd bet similarly though, if you put someone like that who can barely peel themselves out of social agenda into a big aspie group, they'd be equally uncomfortable and if their social survival depended on it they'd likely be a wreck. Regarless though, the point I'm getting at - I think they really are just, more effortlessly, people-first focused. I'm not sure how it happens but as I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't doubt it goes back to childhood development and genetics.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 10:28 am

georgewilson wrote:
I think I've stumbled on an effective model, perhaps already touched on in horizontal/vertical thinking debates, for the difference between basic autistic and basic neurotypical viewpoints that's broad enough to include the many variations thereof. Let me know if this is better for the sciences forum:

The neurotypical mind focuses more on time than on any other dimension, looking at the world as a linear progression from implied beginning to expected outcome, while the autistic mind focuses more on spatial dimensions, looking at the world as a universal system of variables and items interacting to produce constantly changing conditions, albeit with patterns that can be tracked through language and numbers.

Although I'm not sure everything about Einstein's life fits with the standard account of his presence on the spectrum, I certainly would not be surprised if such a person would have the objectivity to analyze time in such a way as to integrate it into space (the basic gist of relativity), instead of conceiving it the other way around, as the neurotypical perspective more or less dictates.

I was puzzled by the title but I can now see what you mean. I usually disregard time. I focus on what happened and where, rather than when. And it may explain a little about the theory of mind problem where I seem to expect others to know what I know, so maybe it seems they just don't know it YET.

Can't speak for NT's but they are often focused on the here and now, while I am not.

lunarious
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2011, 11:04 am

We have all heard this: Think outside the box. The NTs are telling us that we are confined inside a box and we become so due to the fact, they posess a larger quantity and a good deal of qualilfied ones for steering us. This box, is not the creation of the NT for they are inside it too. It is the creation of God. Allah. He has decided that we are iniside this box now, life. And they only way to get outside that box is though letting Allah grace you out (which requires some knowledges). Every word, every term as for example atheists are words that belongs inside the box. Outside the box you become who you are, a primitive individul. We are not social creatures, we are egocentric to an extent that NT get amazed by yet refuse to acknowledge superiority.

Salam

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 12:06 pm

lunarious wrote:
We have all heard this: Think outside the box. The NTs are telling us that we are confined inside a box and we become so due to the fact, they posess a larger quantity and a good deal of qualilfied ones for steering us. This box, is not the creation of the NT for they are inside it too. It is the creation of God. Allah. He has decided that we are iniside this box now, life. And they only way to get outside that box is though letting Allah grace you out (which requires some knowledges). Every word, every term as for example atheists are words that belongs inside the box. Outside the box you become who you are, a primitive individul. We are not social creatures, we are egocentric to an extent that NT get amazed by yet refuse to acknowledge superiority.

Salam

If you were not a social being you would not have a language with which to communicate with others like yourself.

ruveyn

lunarious
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2011, 12:25 pm

There is no creature that cant produce "sounds". I can produce sounds, and organize these .... etc. But these sounds are not the same as my thoughts (whom he social creatures trise to raise awareness about). As long as I limt my thoughts to words I wont be able to express my thoughts that are supposedly enlightened. Light goes very fast. As long as you comit to words you are confining yourself ... in this whole big #### mess that never will get resolved. You can know for sure that voicing leads to more voicing in this world, Asperger humans are not seeking to belong to a social hiearcy (and if they do then that is because they have granted the rest of the hiearchy a chance to cange mind). thy are seeking perfection and perfecetion is never reaced in a group. Perfecetion is done alone. Responsblity is done alone. Sex is done alone. Professions are done alone. ... The only reason I would group with another person is because he swears to perfections perfect perfection. .... I etiher rule, or get ruled. No compromise. I cant do two things afterall. Or can I?

georgewilson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2011, 10:34 pm

quote="lunarious"]There is no creature that cant produce "sounds". I can produce sounds, and organize these .... etc. But these sounds are not the same as my thoughts (whom he social creatures trise to raise awareness about). As long as I limt my thoughts to words I wont be able to express my thoughts that are supposedly enlightened. Light goes very fast. As long as you comit to words you are confining yourself ... in this whole big #### mess that never will get resolved. You can know for sure that voicing leads to more voicing in this world, Asperger humans are not seeking to belong to a social hiearcy (and if they do then that is because they have granted the rest of the hiearchy a chance to cange mind). thy are seeking perfection and perfecetion is never reaced in a group. Perfecetion is done alone. Responsblity is done alone. Sex is done alone. Professions are done alone. ... The only reason I would group with another person is because he swears to perfections perfect perfection. .... I etiher rule, or get ruled. No compromise. I cant do two things afterall. Or can I?[/quote]

^^^This is spirituality personified. I respect organized religion to an extent, but its social context belies the depth of individual self-awareness that constitutes spirituality; indeed, I think spirituality is universal to every one of us, Aspies included, even those who choose to be atheist. My fellow aspies, don't knock spirituality's inner comfort even if its outer institutionalization makes you feel like an outsider; the universe has something in it that speaks to you through whatever means you understand it, and this is coming from an open-minded agnostic.

Also, is sex really done alone alone or did you mean between two people? Minor quibble, and depends on how one defines it. Anyhoo, I'm loving the replies. Keep 'em coming, WP'ers!