Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:53 pm

Er... Christopher Hitchens is dead.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 3:47 pm

Even though I am an atheist, I am deeply disturbed at the attitude that seeks to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I have no patience for people of faith who seek to establish public policy based on faith. I have no patience for leaders of religious institutions that seek to cover up wrongdoing by their institutions. But that does not invalidate religion ab initio.

You certainly don't need to be religious to be "good." And being religious is no guarantee that you will be "good." But any movement that teaches its followers, "that which is hateful to you do not do to others," should not be uncritically excised from society.

Quote:
TREY: I'm sorry, I'm having a problem, with the entire Judeo-Christian everything.
SHARON: Tell me.
TREY: Well, most of your major-league atrocities are committed in the name of someone's god. And can you tell me any big-time religion that isn't especially vicious to, say, women and gay people?
JANE: Just one.
TREY: Which?
JANE: Oprah.
TREY: Oh, all right. Do you know the only thing I really like about God?
SHARON: Spill.
TREY: The art. It's my favorite thing in the world. There's a small private chapel, in the Medici Palace in Florence. And the walls are covered in frescoes, by Tintoretto, it's the Adoration of the Magi, but the colors are so delicate, and there's so much gold, that it looks like--Cinderella. I have never see anything so beuatiful.

---Paul Rudnick, The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told

Religion has inspired more art--be it music, sculpture, painting, architecture, poetry or any of the other myriad forms that art takes--than any other, even love. And that is not an achievement to be dismissed lightly.

MarcusTulliusCicero
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2011, 3:50 pm

If people did such majestic art for any other reason than the divine it would be called arrogance.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 4:27 pm

Tequila wrote:

But not forgotten

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 5:27 pm

visagrunt wrote:

Religion has inspired more art--be it music, sculpture, painting, architecture, poetry or any of the other myriad forms that art takes--than any other, even love. And that is not an achievement to be dismissed lightly.

yes i absolutely love gothic architecture, most of the good examples are churches or cathedrals, i always make a point of visiting places i know about if im in the vicinity.

as for their attitude towards her, i think one should watch the full show to catch a glimpse of their frustration,
the video the op posted was after the fact so to speak.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 5:35 pm

Let's throw the baby out with the bath wather. Except, rather than a baby it is a poisonous snake. And rather than water it is sulfuric acid.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 5:50 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Let's throw the baby out with the bath wather. Except, rather than a baby it is a poisonous snake. And rather than water it is sulfuric acid.

Spot on.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 5:52 pm

visagrunt wrote:

The Roman Catholic Church was in control at the time. What do you expect?

As for religion inspiring love more than any other, you're joking, right?

DC
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 6:43 pm

MCalavera wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

The Roman Catholic Church was in control at the time. What do you expect?

As for religion inspiring love more than any other, you're joking, right?

A million choir boys with sore bottoms approve this message.

RIP Hitch.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 11:17 am

ruveyn wrote:
Tequila wrote:
But not forgotten

... Not by a long shot!