Is this right? Fare dodger is asualted by passenger

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 10:57 am

ruveyn wrote:
The conductor should have verbally order the free rider off the train at the next stop.

"Make me."

The police would have taken quite a while to come and 'collect' the chap as well. This is often isolated Scotland we're talking about, not the middle of NYC.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 11:01 am

Tequila wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
You can't tell that from watching this video.

"I'm stopping here, I can wait all night." - anyway, you can't hear any movement that you would usually be able to hear.

Yeah I know the train was stationary, so it looks like the train had stopped while this guy was being asked for the ticket. I don't get it. Was the train stopping for him to get off, or was it stopped anyway? I find it hard to believe that a train driver would stop a train just because someone had the wrong ticket. So it makes me think the train was delayed anyway (they've had a lot of snow up there). If it was then it should not be applauded that some other passenger physically removed him from the train.

I'd like to know if the train resumed its journey as soon as he was off the train, and if it did actually stop purely because of the passenger with the wrong ticket.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:50 pm

Tequila wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
It is not crime of the century. People do it all the time and a fine is usually issued.

AFAIAA fines don't apply in Scotland.

in fact, they do. you can be fined £400 for travelling in my area with a season ticket past the boundary of validity, as i almost found out to my detriment when travelling between glasgow and an outlying area that i was unaware was not covered by my ticket.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:54 pm

it looks to me like the train being stationary was unconnected to the ticketless young man. the ticket inspector would have had to walk all the way along the train to the drivers cabin to tell him to stop the train. trains are always standing aimlessly around in stations. it's an endless source of annoyance to me.

but anyway, i agree with the general sentiment that this was rather over the top on the part of the "big man" as he's come to be known.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:56 pm

Tequila wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The conductor should have verbally order the free rider off the train at the next stop.

"Make me."

The police would have taken quite a while to come and 'collect' the chap as well. This is often isolated Scotland we're talking about, not the middle of NYC.

generally what would happen is the train staff would contact the terminal station and police would be waiting there. most larger stations, even in isolated scotland, do have transport police. it's not as though he was travelling to the outer hebrides or some remote place.

Adam Smith

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:57 pm

Tequila wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

"Make me."

Point duly noted. The fare paying passengers should have formed an ad hoc court and tried the miscreant.

ruveyn

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 1:24 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Tequila wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

"Make me."

Point duly noted. The fare paying passengers should have formed an ad hoc court and tried the miscreant.

ruveyn

ha ha ha ha!! since they would be operating out with normal jurisdiction, would this mandate them to have instructed "the big man" to drag the accused from the train without fear of reproach from the state?

Adam Smith

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 1:28 pm

peebo wrote:

ha ha ha ha!! since they would be operating out with normal jurisdiction, would this mandate them to have instructed "the big man" to drag the accused from the train without fear of reproach from the state?

Where the State is absent that is exactly what could happen.

In the absence of the State, the passengers have reverted to a state of Nature.

ruveyn

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 3:16 pm

ruveyn wrote:
peebo wrote:

ruveyn

Not all the passengers would have agreed though.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 3:42 pm

ruveyn wrote:
peebo wrote:

ruveyn

since we are speaking hypothetically i am compelled to point out that this would depend entirely on the nature of the hypothetical society of which the passengers were participants.

Adam Smith

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 10:59 pm

The proper course of action would have been to take a photo of the dork, and notify the police of where he got off the train.

Works for toll booths.