Getting lost inside department stores...

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2006, 10:27 pm

Am I the only one with this problem? I seriously get so lost in department stores (Dillard's, JC Penny, etc.) that it can take me up to half an hour to figure out where I am. Also, if I ever make it out of one, I don't know where I am in the mall. I might come out an entrance on an entirely different wing of mall and then it's another quest to figure out where I am. I'll be lucky if there is a "map" around but usually there isn't.

julieme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Oct 2006, 10:39 pm

Yep -- SOmetimes I'm not sure I've been in a store before until I see something familiar --- unfortunatly the window dressers and merchandisers routinely rearrange everything.

Fortunatly in my normal department store I park near the perfume counter exit. If lost I can smell my way out.

Other than that I tend to stay in the departments near the escalator

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Oct 2006, 10:47 pm

I generally avoid the malls, because I WILL get lost. I remember one freezing cold winter day in a Connecticut mall parking lot, spending at least a half an hour looking for my car, only to realize that I was on the wrong level. I was frustrated to tears! :cry:

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 11:15 pm

im ok in the individual department stores, but i can definietly get lost in the mall..... not to mention actually having to drive to the mall... i get lost driving all the time. and a big problem with that is even if i know my way around a place by day... if i go out driving in the same area at night, i totally get lost.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 11:19 pm

Not 100% all the time - especially after stores rearrange things sometimes - but generally if I have been there before I can remember where everything is and where I am in the store/mall. Only 1 time when my husband and I were dating and spent a few hours at this mall did we seriously "forget" what door we came in. I can do that driving too - if I have been there once I can remember the directions and figure things out but maps and stuff like that have been a great interest of mine.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 1:19 am

hm... nope. I almost never get lost.
It's almost a 'gift' I have. I can only recall having been lost 5 times in my entire life.
One of my friends, tho, he could almost get lost in his own house.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

10 Oct 2006, 1:23 am

Help! Help!

I'm lost right now in the electronics department. I hacked into the store's network
and trying to find a floor plan to the store. If that fails the building has a lot of
sun roofs perhaps google maps can see in the store.

Pray for Me!

Thanks,

TM1

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 8:33 am

I get lost everywhere (inside malls/buildings, outside driving, etc). I have no sense of direction, very little sense of where I am in relation to other things.

buzz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2006, 9:15 am

Jread...

I can totally sympathise with you! And the sad thing is that I WORK in a supermarket, and I still get lost in it. I am suhc a slow shelf-stacker. I can't ever find anything. I get lost in my home town, really lost...I do actually have no sense of direction.
I'm glad I'm not the only one! It can be really embarrassing.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 9:21 am

How the heck can you possibly get lost in a mall or store?
This isn't meanth to be offencive but i just don't get it.

Cherokee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Oct 2006, 11:21 am

I used to be able to get genuinely lost in stores (like not being able to find the way out lost), but I have gradually gotten better at this with age and practice. Now days I still have trouble finding things/sections in a store (especially if it’s a store I’m not familiar with), but I don’t get genuinely lost in them anymore.

I’m not sure how I would do in a mall, the truth is I’ve never actually been in one by myself before.

Cherokee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Oct 2006, 11:24 am

Bart21 wrote:
How the heck can you possibly get lost in a mall or store?
This isn't meanth to be offencive but i just don't get it.

By having no since of direction.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 1:02 pm

Well between a photographic memory and a keen sense of direction I gained from spending a lot of time in the forest I never get lost unless you count not having been somewhere in a long time and not being absolutely sure where something is (but still having a vague idea).

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

MelancholyBunny
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 1:41 pm

I have a terrible sense of direction and getting lost really freaks me out, which is why i don't go anywhere on my own(sad, but true). I get lost finding my way home, i get so distracted by other stuff that i can't remember the way.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2006, 2:30 pm

I get lost in my own backyard. Not really, but it seems that way.

One of my anxiety issues with driving is that I get lost easily. I get turned around easily and have no idea where I am or where I came from. I lose the car in parking lots too. I get lost at the Doctor's office, in stores, everywhere. I have no sense of direction. When I do drive, I have to have a point A to point B then back to point A plan or I'll get lost. It is so embarassing to have to call my hubby on my cell and ask him how I get back home if I've had points C and D thrown in. I've lived in this town for an accumulated 4 years and I still can't get around. I very rarely go out on my own.

jread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2006, 2:49 pm

The saddest part of it all is that I make maps for a living, lol.

Driving is different, though, and I usually do well with driving. I do not have a natural sense of direction and cannot recognize where I am based on landmarks, but my job as a cartographer has helped me develop a way to see a mental "map" of lines and pathways and I just follow this instead. It's tough because the real world looks nothing like a map but it works as far as finding the right streets, etc. If I have no map, though, I'm hopeless (such as in a large department store).