Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 1:50 pm

Do you invade other people's?

This is supposed to be a trait of ASD but IMO NTs are guilty of this much more often than i am, at least.

VERY GUILTY OF IT LOL.

I put a ton of space between myself and other people, seems like complete strangers don't mind having me in their space but I don't want to be in it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 1:55 pm

I always stand an arm length away or more from everyone except for my husband and child and family and any crowded area like bus or train or elevator.

But as a child I always invaded personal space. I would stand way too close to people and I always thought they were all weird and had to get over it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 2:02 pm

That's just another thing what they accuse Aspies of, like the lack of empathy thing. People always say ''you must learn to not stand too close to people'', and I have learnt that a long time ago, but are they ever told to learn not to stand in my space? Oh, no, no. And people stand right on top of me in supermarkets, instead of waiting their turn. They push past me when I know and they know there's a big enough space, and they stand so close to me in queues that their toes are actually touching my heals, so that must mean that there are people in their space too, so that proves that people stand in eachother's space all the time.
Oh, by the way it's usually women who stand in my space and barge past me, etc. Men wait their turn, or find a bigger gap to get past me in, and they say ''excuse me'', but not in an impatient way like women do, they say it in a way that makes you feel respected.

The only people who don't bother me standing in my space are friends, family, and etc. But strangers aren't welcome in my space.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 2:32 pm

I have a lot more problems with other people getting in my personal space than vice versa. I don't get in someone else's space because I don't want them to be in mine.

When I'm waiting in line in stores I find myself constantly having to slide over because the people behind me are crowding me. It's almost funny because they don't get it, when I take another teeny step forward to get away from them they just move up too.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 3:30 pm

Joe90 wrote:
That's just another thing what they accuse Aspies of, like the lack of empathy thing. People always say ''you must learn to not stand too close to people'', and I have learnt that a long time ago, but are they ever told to learn not to stand in my space? Oh, no, no. And people stand right on top of me in supermarkets, instead of waiting their turn. They push past me when I know and they know there's a big enough space, and they stand so close to me in queues that their toes are actually touching my heals, so that must mean that there are people in their space too, so that proves that people stand in eachother's space all the time.
Oh, by the way it's usually women who stand in my space and barge past me, etc. Men wait their turn, or find a bigger gap to get past me in, and they say ''excuse me'', but not in an impatient way like women do, they say it in a way that makes you feel respected.

I thought only in my country it happens like that. That means people can have bad education anywhere.

People don't know to respect others personal space. Sometimes i wanted to make them feel comfortable and i let them be free to do what they want. It turned out to be like hell.... So, no, i refuse to share my space of liberty.

snpeden
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2011, 4:27 pm

dianthus wrote:
I have a lot more problems with other people getting in my personal space than vice versa. I don't get in someone else's space because I don't want them to be in mine.

When I'm waiting in line in stores I find myself constantly having to slide over because the people behind me are crowding me. It's almost funny because they don't get it, when I take another teeny step forward to get away from them they just move up too.

I do this a lot also. Can't stand having people crowd me in a store, especially when I'm a nervous wreck trying to keep everyone from touching me already. I just don't understand people's behavior in large stores. It's like they think because it's Wal-Mart no one is going to expect to leave NOT feeling dirty.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 10:06 pm

I prefer to maintain a 3' distance between me and other humans.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 10:10 pm

snpeden wrote:
dianthus wrote:
It's like they think because it's Wal-Mart no one is going to expect to leave NOT feeling dirty.

Hahaha that comment made my day, really! But yeah, on the topic, I don't invade other people's personal space and I certainly don't appreciate it when they invade mine lol.

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2011, 11:41 am

In the past - when others would 'invade my space' out in public - I, too, would try stepping back or away to 'escape'. But, that action was invariably perceived as a yielding (a 'weakness') by others. After some time in Aikido training, I 'experimented' with using the concept/movement called 'entering the dragon' which worked VERY well in changing the outcome of others' invasions of my space. Those invasions rarely happen around me now...maybe due to a more pronounced/undeniable body-movement confidence I project.