Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 1:57 pm

I think it's related to anxiety. Last week I watched ''Life After People'' on Youtube (which is a programme explaining what the world would be like if humans were wiped off the Earth, and has lots of special effects and everything), and as much as I loved it and thought how interesting it was, it totally disturbed me, and I just could not stop thinking about it afterwards, for a few days. Each time I looked at buildings and objects inside buildings, I freaked out because I didn't like the thought of everybody taking objects for graunted and then they're just laying there rotting if humans ever did disappear. Then I kept thinking that something's going to come along to destroy all mankind, like a nuclear bomb or a killer disease or contaminated air, and so on. I know when I'm dead I won't be worrying about it, but it's still an awful, disturbing thing to think of while I'm alive. I then felt I didn't feel safe after that, and my counsellor said it was because I was freaked out. But each time I think of what they're doing in area 51 in America, I REALLY worry and it disturbs me.

Not only that, other things freak me out too. When I was little, I used to cry when the fire alarm went off, but not because of the noise - it was because I thought something was wrong with the building, and it was such an old school aswell, and something about the fire alarm just disturbed me. Perhaps this freaking out about buildings rotting or burning has stemmed back from then.

Does anyone else get easily freaked out by things? Is it an anxiety thing? (I do have an anxiety disorder, and also I suffer with depression).

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 2:20 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I think it's related to anxiety. Last week I watched ''Life After People'' on Youtube (which is a programme explaining what the world would be like if humans were wiped off the Earth, and has lots of special effects and everything), and as much as I loved it and thought how interesting it was, it totally disturbed me, and I just could not stop thinking about it afterwards, for a few days. Each time I looked at buildings and objects inside buildings, I freaked out because I didn't like the thought of everybody taking objects for graunted and then they're just laying there rotting if humans ever did disappear. Then I kept thinking that something's going to come along to destroy all mankind, like a nuclear bomb or a killer disease or contaminated air, and so on. I know when I'm dead I won't be worrying about it, but it's still an awful, disturbing thing to think of while I'm alive. I then felt I didn't feel safe after that, and my counsellor said it was because I was freaked out. But each time I think of what they're doing in area 51 in America, I REALLY worry and it disturbs me.

Not only that, other things freak me out too. When I was little, I used to cry when the fire alarm went off, but not because of the noise - it was because I thought something was wrong with the building, and it was such an old school aswell, and something about the fire alarm just disturbed me. Perhaps this freaking out about buildings rotting or burning has stemmed back from then.

Does anyone else get easily freaked out by things? Is it an anxiety thing? (I do have an anxiety disorder, and also I suffer with depression).

In theory, if people with Autism tend to orient toward objects, i could see how it might be possible to relate to those objects on an emotional level as well and even empathize with those objects.

The content of some video games, films, television shows, and books could trigger negative associates in your subconscious and possibly cause anxiety attacks. You have to be careful in your dealings with visual stimulus.

* Note to say*: just an opinion

TheSunAlsoRises

Miharu
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2011, 2:37 pm

I think it is related to anxiety. I was the exact same way few years back. I was going through a depression. I'd easely get disturbed and scared by things. If i saw something on tv or read something, put to much thought into it, overthinking it. I'd think and get freaked out over the weirdest things. At some point i told myself to just stop overthinking things and to just relax. Instead of thinking of bad things, think of positive things, to overthink on possitive toughts. It took me a while, but it helped me snap out of it.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 5:52 pm

I get disturbed SO easily, it's insane. Unfortunately I'm also very curious. -_- Bad combination, I think.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

17 Dec 2011, 5:55 pm

Not super easily, but I do get disturbed quite easily.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2011, 7:55 pm

Yeah, I can if given the opportunity. (I have bad anxiety problems.) That's why I try to avoid the news. It sounds ridiculous but I can't make a change so why do I want to wallow in misery?

One day last summer I had read some up to date economic articles and then I was thinking about the US government & the world & all of this other stuff and I was really upset about it for hours. When someone got home they calmed me down but I sounded like those "conspiracy theorist" people because it was just so upsetting to me.

That's probably why a lot of people ignore important issues. The thing is that I can barely do anything about myself let alone anyone else so I really should just ignore stuff.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 8:46 pm

When I was around 9-10 years old, we had to paint a vulcan at school. I freaked out completely, because the paintings were hang up in the classroom. Too many colours (visual overload) and "air of thread". They had it to take off for me, because I was not functional anymore. So we got back the paintings and I couldn't stand to have it at home. It had to be removed.
From there it went worse.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 10:35 pm

One time I saw a show where people started vomiting after drinking poisoned punch at a party, and that gave me horrible anxiety attacks for several weeks afterwards, because it combined my fear of vomiting with my fear of poison. I also got psychosomatic symptoms as a result from the anxiety such as abdominal cramps and hives. My mom and psychiatrist reprimanded me for watching the show, and I'm not allowed to watch real-life medical shows anymore.

I was also pretty disturbed while watching the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion. There's scary stuff to be found in nearly all of the later episodes (and especially the follow-up movie, End of Evangelion), but episodes 18 through 20 were the worst for me. They featured Eva Unit 01 going berserk and acting like an animal, even going to far as to tear apart an Angel and eat its organs. There's just something deeply unsettling about a robot suddenly behaving in a primal, beast-like manner outside the control of humans. It probably plays into the old "robots taking over the world" fear that people always joke about, or possibly even the Uncanny Valley. But disturbing though it is, Neon Genesis Evangelion is actually one of my favorite anime series and I'm thinking about buying the whole series on DVD with some of my Christmas money.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 1:35 pm

Sparx wrote:
I get disturbed SO easily, it's insane. Unfortunately I'm also very curious. -_- Bad combination, I think.

I want to know everything, and I learned some stuff that's its probably best I didn't. I don't care that I know I'm going to obsess over it and get deeply disturbed, I still want to know! No, it's not a good combination.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 10:57 pm

When I was younger I used to get freaked out at things I saw on TV like one time someone pretending to be a nurse so they could turn the oxygen machine off someone they wanted dead I couldn't watch that show again.
Another time I saw a film that was supposed to be a children's movie and a man was set on fire it brought on my fear of fire after that and if I hear on the news anyone getting badly burnt it preys on my mind for a while.
The lady that had her faced ripped off by a chimp was disturbing as well.