how common is it to mimic animal sounds?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

do you enjoy mimicking animal sounds?
on the spectrum - yes 83%  83%  [ 90 ]
on the spectrum - no 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
NT - yes 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
NT - no 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 108

AntitheticalChiasm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2011, 12:54 am

hello~ i'm an aspie that makes animal sounds and i've talked to a lot of aspies that make animal sounds, and about a year ago, i wrote a small comic highlighting the fact, and now there's a group of individuals attacking me and saying that this isn't an aspie trait. so i was wondering... how common is it?

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 3:38 am

Aspergers here, I love to do that...and my friends go nuts when I bark.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 5:52 am

I do it all the time, but usually only to animals. I know animals have very specific vocalizations, so I'm sure I'm just confusing them.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 6:32 am

I guess I do it more than others around me, especially barking and meowing, though I don't have Asperger's.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 11:23 am

My boyfriend and I have entire conversations in fake imitation of cat sounds

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

18 Dec 2011, 11:38 am

Yes. I like making animal sounds. The thing is, I'll make a sound that a certain animal makes (like a cow going "moo"),but when someone asks why I'm making cow sounds, I'll reply, "these are not cow sounds. They are bull sounds". I mimic animal sounds, but sometimes get the sounds mixed up.

AntitheticalChiasm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2011, 11:36 pm

for me... i usually greet friends and family by meowing... and if they're aspies, they typically make an animal sound in return. NTs just seem to look at me weird.... or reply with a typical "hi" or whatever. anyways, the comic i did was about how making animal sounds was an acceptable form of greeting among aspies. even though i was referring to my personal experiences, these individuals are freaking out because i said that it was acceptable to the "common aspie." they act as though implying that "aspies might make animal sounds" is a highly insulting thing... even though it's always been presented to me as a common trait. i'm not sure the best way to respond to these individuals other than "let's agree to disagree." or whatever. they've been rather rude and insulting to me personally, though i've been civil to them. one is even saying i'm not an aspie at all because i'm self-diagnosed. :( as though it's easy for a poor 25 year old with no medical insurance to even get in a position to get a diagnoses... even though like half of my extended family are aspies, including my dad, and it's perfectly clear to them and my aspie friends and anyone else around me that knows anything about aspies that i am one.... :roll:

eheheh~ my mom said to me once "when we get cats, are you still gonna meow like that??" and i'm all "of course!! i'll meow at the cats, too!!" though i always wonder what i'm saying when i meow at cats =w= they usually meow back, though. and if i meow at dogs, they kinda go crazy looking for the cat xD

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 4:16 am

I don't really get any joy in making animal sounds.
I have tried barking at my dogs before but found that we cant communicate that way.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

Last edited by artrat on 19 Dec 2011, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 5:10 am

What about an bird that makes human noises?

maybe its an NT tui bird...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzPi_998Ghk[/youtube]

AntitheticalChiasm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2011, 6:58 am

ehehehe~ NT bird xD well it's pretty funny either way. :D

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 10:34 am

Woof! Woof!

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:22 pm

ALL THE TIME. I can copy any cats' voice, and I like to make growling and pigeon sounds (lol). xD

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:32 pm

I like talking to cats, and they seem to respond to me mimicking their sounds, as they usually stop and listen, and about half the time approach me to investigate.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:38 pm

I was a cat when I was a child. Would meow, hiss, scratch and walk on all fours...sometimes even in kindergarten. Luckily, my teacher thought it was cute and gave me candy. First grade, I learned not to do that in school.

I was still a cat at home. Meowed, hissed, walked on all fours, scratched.
I would sing in meows.

Now as an adult, I meow in private. Sing in meows and woofs. Out in public, nobody would ever guess I was a meower and woofer in private. I turn into a cat dressed in a tuxedo in public but when I get home, I throw the tuxedo in the closet and no longer prim and proper.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 4:08 pm

Every day on the way to work, I slow down, roll down the window and yell "mmmmmooooooooooo" out the window to the cows. Then they look up at me really perplexed and dumb-like.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 4:40 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58CZcCvwND4[/youtube]