Butterfly

18 Dec 2011, 5:16 pm

Be fearless.Post your perceptions here.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 5:49 pm

I'm removing my post, i've got a gut feeling thete's something fishy goin on

Last edited by hurtloam on 19 Dec 2011, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 5:57 pm

My mom was never diagnosed as being on the spectrum....but I think she probably was. She had a lot of the same autism-related difficulties I have. This caused a lot of problems for her as a parent, but it was also a sort of gift, because it helped her understand, support, teach, and communicate with me at times when nobody else could.

Love transcends all.

pizzapluspickles27
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2011, 7:06 pm

I was never really accepting of my mom's aspergers diagnosis for quite some time. Nor did i understand it either. I'm a new member on this site. This is actually my very first reply to any forum. I am hoping to chat with someone who has a parent with aspergers becauase i felt like i was basically the only one. That was when I was a lot younger though. I'm on the spectrum too, with being ADHD but we are opposites. It is especially hard with me mirroring my mother's behaviour for quite some time

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 7:14 pm

welcome, pizza.

my dad had AS. he had no clue of how to relate to kids.

liv_via
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2011, 8:09 pm

My mom was diagnosed with Autism a little over a year ago. Growing up was very complicated for my siblings and I because my mother has the emotional maturity of a child... though it couldn't have been as difficult for us as it was for her. She dropped out of school at 16 because of her dyslexia and social awkwardness, and didn't try to work until she was 36 years old. At that point she couldn't hold even a minimum-wage job, could barely take care of herself at all... let alone her three teenagers and two children. Without my jerk of a father to support her financially, she'd still live with her parents. She always seemed so sweet and so beautiful but so sad and always "stressed out" or "hyper". I didn't understand that anything was "different" about her until I became a teenager. And even then, it never occurred to me that that she might have passed it onto me... after all, my mother and I are entirely different people. I do very well in school, was never bullied or had trouble making friends (I was never particularly interested in maintaining friendships, but I just wrote that off as "normal" introversion), which isn't the way it was for her. I knew nothing about Asperger's, and very little about Autism in general; if we had known, things would have been much easier for all of us. Looking back on the decisions and actions she took while raising us, I new that she did everything out of love... but you have to have the maturity of an adult to raise children.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 9:32 pm

I know u said offspring of aspie mum's but I feel sorry for my offspring, at the moment my son's only 2 and a half and lives with his NT father who doesnt understand me and my AS. I will always no matter how hard i try, have the mind of a child, so it really makes me wonder how my children will see me when they are old enough to understand their mother has AS.

But I am also the offspring of an ASD parent(s).
My mum and I eblieve my father has AS or some for of ASD.
Its hard cause he cannot relate to anyone, doesnt want to relate to anyone and has little empathy for anyone but himself..
he is 69 and still acts like hes 5 in so many things.
I dont feel sorry for him, cause hes never done anything to help himself.

On the other hand i often wonder if my mother has a form of ASD just because her and I are so much a likein almost everything and its quite clear i have AS and she agrees, I may not be actually diagnosed butw hen I was a child I was diagnosed with being on the Autism Spectrum.

SO I may just have an aspie mum too but shes great shes always just let me be me.

cinbad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2011, 11:55 pm

When I finally found out I had AS I had a meeting with my children to explain it. They are 29g, 23s, 21g. The older two are nurses. The initial impact was, of course doubt. But as weeks went by they all came back to me one by one and told me of things that had happened when they were younger that they didn't understand. Such as, while my oldest was a cheerleader I would bring her to all her games, but I very rarely watched. Most times I would sit in my car. On graduations, I would honestly become so physically ill that I coudln't attend. They never knew why I would need a days notice to go anywhere. Or why I never use the phone. Even my youngest has now learned how not to be offended when my thoughts drift. Or when I become obsessed with something. I have found a way to deal with it and look so normal, but my emotions get the best of me and I retreat into my own world. My room is my haven where I can be myself. Since I found out, I have actually become more mature somehow. I have a better understanding of who I really am because of this forum. Thank you guys!
Most of all, my family has become closer.

PiriReis
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Dec 2011, 5:48 am

I would have loved more direction and advice growing up, but now realize she was as clueless as me! I would find myself trying to translate for her in many situations, just as I do for my as son. "What she means is..." Honestly, if a position for aspie translator ever opens up, I am so applying...She has definately taught me determination against overwhelming odds and wiped my brow to send me back out for the next round. We are similar in personality, however. I do hope I can provide more support for my as daughter as she grows, as the blind leading the blind now include therapists and IEPs...and of course, forums!

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 7:22 am

The OP had issues with his mother that apparently had aspergers as can be seen from this thread, so he's decided to come here and act like a c***. This thread is a ruse.

PiriReis
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Dec 2011, 9:21 am

Thanks Burzum, for the heads up. In that light, I do hope that soap will see that his unfortunate experience does not translate into an across the board truth. I love my as mother very much and respect her as well. If true information is what he seeks, then this thread is valid. However, an apology would go a long way about now for his previous thread.

So soap-here is a chance to offer a little salve to a wound...

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 2:18 pm

My perception is that people who come into a forum for Aspergians and other spectrumites named SOAP complaining of AS parenting in broad statements are likely to find little sympathy. Take it to an NT forum. My kids wouldn't say that their life as been a complete bed of roses (without thorns) but they love me and I don't think would have much sympathy either.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 2:23 pm

Thread locked as it appears to have malicious intentions.