Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

metaphysics
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 11:31 pm

Does anybody think that there will be a revolution in North Korea?

Why do you think so? And why not?

I am so curious!! !

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 11:33 pm

I don't think so. From what I hear about his son. He's not as evil or crazy. Still, those countries have had tension between them for decades. I think it's almost a way of life for them now.

metaphysics
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 11:37 pm

Perhaps this explained the reason why he visited Russia and PRC this year...And also why Kim Jong-Un's position in North Korea arose so quickly in recent years..

metaphysics
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 11:39 pm

cw10 wrote:
I don't think so. From what I hear about his son. He's not as evil or crazy. Still, those countries have had tension between them for decades. I think it's almost a way of life for them now.

Anything else about his son? :wink:

I am actually expecting Arab Spring to move to the far east....especially North Korea..

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Dec 2011, 11:41 pm

There won't be a revolution but I'm not sure what will happen. His young son Kim Jong-Un is set to take over but I could see a power struggle developing amongst senior military officials. The situation between North Korea and South Korea could become quite volatile. who knows what might happen. Hopefully the transition goes smoothly and that Kim Jong-Un is a reformer rather than a despot. He was educated outside the country so I have hope that might be the case.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 11:42 pm

North Korea is going to implode on itself over infighting over clashing ideologies on how to drive the country's future. I doubt the generals will easily accept a major change of regime to one favouring a more "open to the world" policy. Either that or nothing changes all that much.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 11:48 pm

Hey, metaphysics. Miss me?

How do you feel about the China situation.

Last edited by MCalavera on 18 Dec 2011, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 11:48 pm

metaphysics wrote:
cw10 wrote:

Anything else about his son? :wink:

I am actually expecting Arab Spring to move to the far east....especially North Korea..

I'm afraid I don't know much about him.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 7:52 am

I was just gonna say... if you're expecting "a revolution" like the Arab Spring- forget it.

No way will that happen.

North Korea is not analogus to the arab world or to occupy wallstreet or the other movements abroad in the world now.

North Korea will collapse ( not immediately but sometime) from the top down. It maybe a slow well managed collapse , or it might be a sudden catastrophic collapse, But No revolt from the bottom-up can happen. Its a whole different situation from other dictatorships in the world.

Young people in arab countries are tuned in to both the world and tuned into each other through the latest technology of twitter and facebook and etc.

The common people of North Korea are so isolated and so indoctrinated that they dont even know how oppressed they are, and they live in a 1950's world with traditional media regidly controled and with post modern social media being nonexistant.

So they have niether the means nor the desire to rebel. And half of them are too starved to rebel anyway.

The question is what direction will the ruling elite (essentially the miliary) take the country.

The best outcome would not be a "revolution" but to have some responsible and relatively sane faction in the ruling elite take over and quietly orchestrate the country's eventual merger with the South through cooperation with the outside world.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 8:53 am

metaphysics wrote:
Does anybody think that there will be a revolution in North Korea?

Why do you think so? And why not?

I am so curious!! !

No revolution. Everyone is still crying because Dear Leader has left them.

In the Land of the Blind, the One Eyed Man is King.

ruveyn

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 8:57 am

Definitely no revolution. Could be a military coup though. One of his son is a four star general I think, so he may end up taking over in long run.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 9:05 am

His son will take over and it'll be business as usual.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 10:38 am

Kim Jong Un will seek an open, peaceful relationship with the world. This will cause the military to rise up against him, and he will ask South Korea's government to come to his aid. A war will ensue - S. Korea and Kim Jong Un versus N. Korea's military. The North Korean people will be divided about which side to support. Eventually the N. Korean army will be defeated, and Korea will be reunified. Kim Jong Un will be hailed as a hero and will eventually be elected President of Korea.

Okay, really I have no idea what will happen. The above just seems like an interesting possibility. :D

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 11:43 am

YippySkippy wrote:
Kim Jong Un will seek an open, peaceful relationship with the world. This will cause the military to rise up against him, and he will ask South Korea's government to come to his aid. A war will ensue - S. Korea and Kim Jong Un versus N. Korea's military. The North Korean people will be divided about which side to support. Eventually the N. Korean army will be defeated, and Korea will be reunified. Kim Jong Un will be hailed as a hero and will eventually be elected President of Korea.

Okay, really I have no idea what will happen. The above just seems like an interesting possibility. :D

And then Jesus will come back.

ruveyn

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 2:00 pm

Define "revolution."

King Jong-Eun's ascendency is far from assured. To be sure, he has an official sobriquet. While there has been much speculation in the West and he has certainly been visible in KCNA reporting, largely at the side of his father, no one knows the degree to which he has established himself within the only constituency that matters--the Army.

His uncle (Chang Sung-Taek) is currently Vice-chairman of the National Defence Commission, and the only one of the Vice-chairmen from the WPK. That makes him an enormously powerful individual who could potential block his nephew's assumption of the vacant throne. So will Chang Sung-Taek play Claudius to Kim Jong-Eun's Hamlet?

It took years for Kim Jong-Il to consolidate his power after his father's death, and he had had a couple of decades to establish himself within the hierarchy. Kim Jong-Eun has had nothing like that amount of time, and may be heavily reliant on an inner circle that might not have his best interests at heart.

...to say nothing of the best interests of the North Korean people. Which is as much as any of that lot have ever said about that subject.