Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2011, 6:44 pm

As of now I have three guitars. Two electrics and one acoustic. I wanna play everything I can afford though. It all feels the same once I'm behind it so why not be a multi-instrumentalist? I started on violin and sang lead in school btw.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 7:44 pm

Me playing drums at age 12 after 3 months of self-teaching... Meh. (This was in October 2008, and just before I turned 14... so just over 3 years ago.)
I should make another video. This is on my dad's account, though.
I look so different... and kind of idiotic there...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diyVrrCHScI[/youtube]
I played every day at that point; I play maybe once a month nowadays. Great stress-reliever.
And my kit is practically the same now, though I've added a cowbell... Yeah, I think that's all I've added.

Yeah, so I can play drum kit; mallet instruments (like marimba, vibraphone, xylophone, etc.); snare drum on its own; bass drum on its own...
Then I've played piano on and off since age 5 or so. Not too good.
I played tuba for two years, then euphonium/baritone for one.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Dec 2011, 7:55 pm

A catalyst for my journey into electronic music was the Electrical Water Pageant at Walt Disney World in 1973 when I was 8 years old. I was held spellbound by the sounds of the Moog synthesizer that provided the music for this spectacle. Jean Jacques Perrey and Gershon Kingsley wrote and performed this music. As a result I later began playing electronic keyboards of which I acquired around 30 of them. This also led to my early fascination with the electronic organ in the mid 1970s. The organ was actually the first instrument I took serious enough to learn to play---and play well. From that I also learned to play the piano. I give credit to my playing of keyboard instruments to the Electrical Water Pageant. Today, I am a church organist.

In school I played trombone partly because my cousin played trombone professionally in a dixieland band. By the time I was in high school I was playing trombone professionally in numerous jazz bands in the area.

In the early 1990s I became fascinated with mountain and hammered dulcimers. An older friend of mine played mountain dulcimers, and I decided to try. Amazingly I was able to play the mountain dulcimer almost overnight. After hearing Smoky Mountain Memory tapes featuring hammered dulcimer, I got a hammered dulcimer and was able to play it after just a few days. Today I perform a dulcimer ministry at area churches. I also play harmonica---with inspiration from Jerry Murad and the Harmonicats.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 5:18 pm

I've been playing guitar off and on for about 13 years now. I've taken maybe 5 lessons, but would have to say that what I know is from self teaching.

I find that I can learn songs well from tab, but I suffer from lack of creativity when it comes to writing my own stuff :(. I can make things up occasionally, but I don't know how it happens :?. I mostly play by finger picking, but am getting back to using picks. I feel very coordinated when finger picking since I can feel the strings as I play, so I prefer it, but picks have a different sound and speed to them which is important. Although with finger picking I can hit up to 3 strings at once, where as a pick can't :?

I'm now becoming overly interested in effect pedals too, which is fun... although I'm maybe too interested in them >_>. Before, I used to think they were too much of a hassle, but an amp I bought not that long ago had no internal effects... or even reverb, so I ended up getting some pedals and appreciate them quite a bit :).

I still don't have the drive to play every single day, but for a little while now, I've just been looking up information on guitar and pedals when not playing and find that I enjoy learning about guitar things maybe as much or more than playing :|. It also inspires me to play more when reading. So that's what's kept me going with guitar lately and not just playing in completely random spurts.

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 5:29 pm

I play the piano for about 14 years now, and more or less as good as you can expect it from someone who has poor manual dexterity, ADD and does it as a hobby. I also play the guitar, and am teaching myself to play the violin. I used to sing in a choir for quite some time (tenor), but not anymore.
I cannot play and sing at the same time, so I only play classic piano and, with a strong preference for american (Joplin - Ragtime is just so much fun to play), russian (Mussorgsky, Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky), eastern european (Dvorak, Chopin) and japanese (Kondo) composers.

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 7:37 pm

I wish I knew how to play the piano. I would like to compose epic film score type music, that's my dream. But, I'm so busy with school and the music classes offered at my college conflict with classes that I actually need.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 8:14 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
I should make another video.

If you do, post it. I'd like to see/hear more of the musicians around here playing.

I have a playlist of me with some of the other drummers in my group and one of our dancers. Our group (link: Raven Raqs Beledi) did these performances in three consecutive years at a major annual Medieval festival. The rhythms we played in the first couple of years were things the dancer requested. The last composition is one I wrote for the group, so that everyone would have a chance to do a little something special. It even includes a brief sight gag. (See if you can spot it.) That last one was done in such hot weather that we had to fan the dancer as soon as we got offstage. You can tell how bad it was by how she looks while she's dancing. That year, another one of our dancers was supposed to perform, but she didn't feel well enough. Our usual festival performer stepped in and saved us right on the spot by creating a dance with almost no preparation that time. Before that, she'd always had more time to plan. Also, in the second year, she was supposed to have a second dancer with her, but the other dancer felt too new and not ready enough yet. So, the choreography had to be adapted for just one dancer at the last minute.

I really think our dancers rock, both as performers and as people!

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

Last edited by MindWithoutWalls on 23 Dec 2011, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 10:24 pm

I used to play the guitar. I hope to start again when my life is back in order.

spaceappleseed
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Dec 2011, 10:39 am

Piano. But I'd rather sing.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2011, 11:12 am

I've got my guitar and my harmonica. I just like messing around with them to see what sounds I can make. I wouldn't say I'm particularly musical.

Exaleadien
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Dec 2011, 2:58 pm

Hello,

I've been playing drums for about 20 years, and start learning bass guitar and classical guitar.

kmf_girl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Dec 2011, 3:55 pm

I used to play piano (took lessons for 10 years) but stopped once I started moving more frequently and moving with the piano was out of question. As a kid I always wanted to play the clarinet but was told that it was an absolute no-go because of my teeth. Fast forward a few decades... My son picked up the flute in school. Couldn't get a sound out of it and I got intrigued. Once he stopped taking private lessons, I just took them over. My hubby got me a gorgeous high-end flute and I have been taking lessons ever since. Can't image being without my flute anymore... Since I can't sing (afraid of trying), having a "voice" through the flute and experiencing/expressing my emotions that way is really important to me.

Kelamin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Dec 2011, 3:34 am

I'm trying to teach myself the guitar but it's a long process as i'm finding it quite hard to make time for it with all my other commitments. That said, i do enjoy it and am looking forward to getting time to have some decent practice time in the near future :)

wyldragon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Dec 2011, 1:03 pm

I have 10 different kind of drums and have been playing for a little over 2 years. Taking African, belly-dancing and shamanistic drumming. A drum set with cymbals is included in my drums. I am on again, off again with my guitar I've been playing since high school, but I've seriously been playing since June. I can play a little piano, and African harp. I can play the tambourine. learning a hammered dulcimer. Bought an electric guitar about 4 months ago. Used to be able to play the flute, bassoon, sax, and clarinet.

I have been singing all my life. Stopped for a long time because of an abusive husband. Just started taking classical training and once I get good at that, she's putting me through to an opera teacher. I was told I have a 3 octave range, but it used to be 5 octaves so I'm hoping the lessons improve my range.

I have been writing my own songs since June. I've written 13 so far. Several are on my Youtube channel.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 2:00 pm

Synthesizers, Percussion, Drums and Piano/Keyboard.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 7:10 am

Guitar, bass, turntables / DJ gear.