.... So I almost got kicked out of the dinning commons

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 6:36 pm

I went to dinner around five pm. I got my stuff and sat down and was about to eat when somebody from dinning services came up to me.

dinning guy - "Just what do you think you're doing?"

me (kind of dumbfounded) - "eating dinner"

dinning guy - "Oh, if you're gonna be that way to me, I suggest you leave before I call the university police and have you arrested"

At that point I asked exactly what was going on.

The dinning guy thought I was trying to play stupid and was rather curt to me when he read off the charges. Supposedly in five minutes I....

- was wandering around the different serving stations obstructing people trying to get their food
- cut someone off nearly causing them to spill their tray

and my personal favorite

- "abridged" someones "right to mayonnaise" after I had "yielded my right" to the mayonnaise at the hamburger and fries station (his words)

I have no recollection of doing these things, and yet supposedly I did these things and three people went to managment to complain about me. I've been going to eat there for the past two years and I've never acted any different. If my routine was to piss off people, I would have been called on it along time ago.

I explained all this to him and it seemed to buy me a break. He let me stay and eat my dinner, but not before he gave me a lecture about being a courteous student.

Now this has really left me angry and baffled at the same time. Was I really doing these things with out realizing it, or did I just chance across a group of incredibly shallow and self centered students tonight?

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 6:54 pm

If you really didn't do anything its probably just more of the "Popular kids" trying to give you a TON of BS because they apparently they can't let people they consider ret*ds,fags,weirdos,etc be left in peace and mind their own Buisness and they have to give them BS about them being "Unpopular" and all that stuff if not you ITS JUST POPULAR KIDS!! !

No offence if any taken.

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 7:02 pm

Scoots,

Could it be that you had an absence seizure and did all those moves unknowingly? I ask because I get that sometimes (and other Aspies also do) and it causes me untold embarrassment in that I sometimes say and do things unknowingly. This is the part of the tic that is a bit like petit-mal epilepsy.

A school mate being a jerk is one thing but I'm a little perplexed that somebody from Dining Services would treat you like that, especially if this was coming from a hired staff member. In that case I'd definitely mention it to the management if I were you.

Some people just don't have any social niceties.

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 7:14 pm

The potential for human stupidity (dinning guy, in this case) never ceases to amaze me.

- Emerson

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 7:15 pm

sometimes the most casual things will annoy will tick someone off. If they've had a bad day and feel like loading their plate with mayonnaise to eat out their sorrows then they'll be annoyed is someone disrupts there mayo getting. This happens to me at times and it's either what i just typed or it finally got on everyone's nerves.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 7:20 pm

Papillon wrote:
Scoots,

Could it be that you had an absence seizure and did all those moves unknowingly? I ask because I get that sometimes (and other Aspies also do) and it causes me untold embarrassment in that I sometimes say and do things unknowingly. This is the part of the tic that is a bit like petit-mal epilepsy.

I don't think so, but then again - I don't know. I clearly remember getting everything I had to eat tonight. Yes I was walking around to the different stations, and yes I was getting mayo from my fries, as for cutting someone off, I don't know if I did that.

And what do you mean exactly by absence seizure?

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 7:43 pm

Scoots, when the guy used a phrase like "abridged" someones "right to mayonnaise", he is definitely yanking you. Same thing when he says he will call the campus police on you about an attitude when you answer his question truthfully.

Please write down everything that happened and take it to his boss. If that doesn't work don't stop there. Keep going to the higher authorities. A person like that cannot get away with what he did to you if you report him. You can probably get him fired, and trust me, you should.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 8:10 pm

Scoots5012 wrote:
I went to dinner around five pm. I got my stuff and sat down and was about to eat when somebody from dinning services came up to me.

dinning guy - "Just what do you think you're doing?"

me (kind of dumbfounded) - "eating dinner"

dinning guy - "Oh, if you're gonna be that way to me, I suggest you leave before I call the university police and have you arrested"

At that point I asked exactly what was going on.

The dinning guy thought I was trying to play stupid and was rather curt to me when he read off the charges. Supposedly in five minutes I....

- was wandering around the different serving stations obstructing people trying to get their food
- cut someone off nearly causing them to spill their tray

and my personal favorite

- "abridged" someones "right to mayonnaise" after I had "yielded my right" to the mayonnaise at the hamburger and fries station (his words)

I have no recollection of doing these things, and yet supposedly I did these things and three people went to managment to complain about me. I've been going to eat there for the past two years and I've never acted any different. If my routine was to piss off people, I would have been called on it along time ago.

I explained all this to him and it seemed to buy me a break. He let me stay and eat my dinner, but not before he gave me a lecture about being a courteous student.

Now this has really left me angry and baffled at the same time. Was I really doing these things with out realizing it, or did I just chance across a group of incredibly shallow and self centered students tonight?

If it's of any help, I don't think you did anything wrong, however, from the somewhat limited information at hand I see the following in the cafeteria worker:

Stiff, and formal usage of language, as well as pedantic attention to details. Sound familiar? :wink:

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 8:16 pm

Are you sure that this dining services person was not joking? I know it would be an incredibly stupid joke if he were kidding... but still, the things he was saying sure sound ridiculous!

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Oct 2006, 8:22 pm

I can relate. That situation sounds crazy making. I think the advice that I see given here, by the others, is valid. Whether this guy was inflated with his own importance, or whether he was indeed cranking you, or whatever, he needs to be reported, ad verbatim. What he said sounded so stupid and and trumped up. My daughter, who is an Aspie too, has gone through many similar situations such as you describe here. Of course, I have, as well.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Oct 2006, 8:24 pm

You need to get back-up right away. Go to his boss. Go to Student Services - anything that you can remotely call relating to this kind of thing. Got an Ombudsman on campus? A prof that likes you? This way you can establish a lot of reliable sources with your version of what happened, very soon after it happened. Which makes for good witnesses.

Don't forget the Padre. um, and Discrimination Watch, or whatever they call it. It is very possible that you are being harassed because you're an aspie.

And speaking of witnesses, could you get somebody to keep an eye on you while they eat, so if something happens they can say they saw what really happened?

Defend yourself. Don't let people do that to you. If you do, they'll do it again.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

10 Oct 2006, 8:28 pm

Next time and it takes guts say

"Call an ambulance because nobody is going to move me without somebody going to the hospital" Then tap on your book bag (Oh it helps if you have a pair of numb chucks in the
bag)

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 8:35 pm

that doesn't help

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

10 Oct 2006, 8:39 pm

KimJ wrote:
that doesn't help

Yeah get a 2nd opinion because violence has a long history of working.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 8:58 pm

I know I have been in similar situations.I know how confusing and infuriating it can be,but,wouldnt it have been nice if you had a tape recorder with you....that guy said some "classically moronic lines" that would have sounded great on a "dance music loop"....."impeding the right to Mayo..Impeding the right to Mayo..."

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

10 Oct 2006, 8:58 pm

I don't even understand why the waiter wanted to kick you out. It was a stupid question he asked you and you answered it and he got mad. NTs. You were just minding your own business. Nothing like that has never happened to me before at a restaurant.