.... So I almost got kicked out of the dinning commons

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 9:44 pm

Student dining areas in college are more like High School lunch rooms than they are resturants. I agree with those who say go to the persons boss, then student services, then the student ombudsman. You might want to go to the disability office too.

It sounds as if this was almost a joke. I probably would have started to laugh at the mayonaise one. You may also want to check and see if you are eligable for other meal options then the student dining area now that you are no longer a freshman.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 10:47 pm

I was thinking mainly the guys tough talk and big words with me was him trying to sound authoritative above anything else.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 10:59 pm

I would answer his questions a little bit differently. Try to put emotion into it, so it sounds like you're truly confused. Being an aspie, like all of us on WP, you might have answered him in a flat voice. He, in turn, like the NT that he is, looked more at the tone of voice than at the words, and accused you of playing stupid. Tones of voice will be in <angle brackets>. Make sure to say everything in a politely (see below why).

Dining Guy: "Just what do you think you're doing?"
You: <confused> "I'm eating, same thing I do here every day; are you looking for a more specific answer?"

Dining Guy: "Oh, if you're gonna be that way to me, I suggest you leave before I call the university police and have you arrested"
You: <shocked, as in WTF> "Arrested? Are you serious? What for?"

Dining Guy: [accuses you of getting in people's way, in a very demeaning manner, while using dumb examples, and presenting them very moronically]
You: <as if trying to understand> "How did I do that? I'm sure there's a misunderstanding. Whatever I did, I didn't realize it." <apolgetic> "Sorry if there was any trouble."

With these answers, you put yourself on the right side of the "law" (the school rules, that is). By all means, report this to appropriate authorities. When this case will be investigated, records will show that you did the following.
-> Explained that you were simply minding your own business while having a meal.
-> Didn't even realize you were (supposedly) causing trouble.
-> Said you were sorry.
At the same time, the dining guy did the following.
-> Pounced on you while you were minding your own business.
-> Accused you of being a rule-breaker without considering the fact that your actions were unintentional.
-> Simply looked for a way to get someone arrested, instead of taking time to gather the facts.

It doesn't matter what you were really doing. Your goal is to present yourself as someone who made an honest mistake and apoligized for it. While it might require swallowing your pride (but only temporarily), it's most likely to result in the dining guy getting a penalty for what he did to you. Best of luck. While I never had anything like this in my college cafeteria, I completely understand your situation. On the contrary, the workers were very nice: they even said "good morning" to people and made jokes about increased coffee sales during final exam weeks. I hope other dining people are more like that than the guy you described.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

10 Oct 2006, 11:20 pm

What about a fork jab to the hand, followed by a serving tray to head. Followed by a kick to stomach (he should be on the floor now), dump salt shaker in his mouth, dump pepper
shaker down his nose, urinate, defecate and sing Queen's "we are the Champions....of the world"

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

10 Oct 2006, 11:30 pm

^^Don't forget to something with a meat pie. In a cruel way, I was thinking of rubbing the meat on his rear end so that he's 'soiled' his pants. Okay, now I'm being evilly creative. Sorry.

I'm also sorry that I've spammed, I've got nothing else to contribute! :(

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2006, 12:16 am

Scoots, just don't forget that you are on the right side of the rules and the law here. You didn't need to do anything to "put" yourself there even if your responses could have made things a little smoother.

It has taken time for me to learn to pass as normal and it does make things easier.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2006, 3:49 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
What about a fork jab to the hand, followed by a serving tray to head. Followed by a kick to stomach (he should be on the floor now), dump salt shaker in his mouth, dump pepper
shaker down his nose, urinate, defecate and sing Queen's "we are the Champions....of the world"

That would most assuredly get him arrested.

On second thought, considering the fact that this appears to be somebodies joke at your expense, I would want to get ahold of the dining hall supervisor and explain the situation to them. If that doesn't work, go to the dining hall supervisors boss, and explain it to them.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

11 Oct 2006, 4:08 am

Fogman wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:

That would most assuredly get him arrested.

On second thought, considering the fact that this appears to be somebodies joke at your expense, I would want to get ahold of the dining hall supervisor and explain the situation to them. If that doesn't work, go to the dining hall supervisors boss, and explain it to them.

Yeah I've been arrested 2 times that only adds to your rep. Which mean the next time he is sitting there nobody f***s with him. Look aspies get bullied. Some of us have faught back and did time for it. Others are welcome to say "please stop hitting me"
my experience is the only words the bully needs to hear is "what does your blood taste
like?" When I was in first grade I was alone with the toughest bully at my grade level.
I kick his a$$. No I'm not super aspie. After that the number of kids bulling me was small. But I had to then face adults and the law backing them up. I continued the fight. Usually small things I was a secret cog in the machine underminding their operations anyway I could.

vivreestesperer
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Oct 2006, 12:26 am

That's ridiculous. It's a college cafetaria for God's sake - the abnormal thing would be if you WEREN'T going to the different stations and blocking people's ways or cutting them off - that happens constantly when you fit hundreds of people in a small space. At my college cafetaria - it was pandemonium most of the time - everyone was constantly running into everyone else , there was hardly enough space to move (and you wonder why I hated going there so much lol). Abrogating someone's right to maynonaise is RIDICULOUS. People in college are mature enough to know how to wait in line for maynonaise, but if you for example don't see the line and take some mayonaise out of turn, BIG DEAL! I often accidentally cut people off because I just didn't see them coming. I apologized, stepped aside, and let them go. Nobody ever complained about anything. I actually acted quite odd in other ways in that dining hall and no one ever commented to me. Boy did I love the times when it was almost closing time and there was no one there - except there was no food left either , ha.

Sounds like you got some pretty uptight workers there! That exchange would have scared me too, sorry.

Kate

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2006, 10:27 am

The cafeteria worker was just harassing you and had no right to make you leave or threaten you with arrest. What are they going to arrest you for abridging someones right to mayonaisse? You could report him to his supervisor. I don't think it would help to tape record someone. I think it's illegal to tape record someone without their permission.