Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2012, 8:37 pm

I don't know that there's anything one person could say to help you feel any better, but I sure as hell sympathize. I've been falsely accused many times over the years, although nothing that got me sent to prison. It hasn't happened in quite a while, but even now it's always in the back of my mind. I even sometimes go so far as to rehearse alibis of where I've been, what I've been doing, etc. I think that's slightly nuts.

If it was me, I'd never tell anyone that you'd done time. Make sure you only apply for jobs that don't ask about such things. I'd stuff the entire experience far, far into the deepest recesses of my consciousness.

And I know what it's like to feel so far down that you can't even see the top. So take it one day at a time. You might also think about going to school, be it college or trade school or whatever. It's a great way to climb out of the hole you're in, and educational environments are generally much less judgemental about your background.

Above all, don't succumb to bitterness and self-pity. Yeah, you were dealt a rotten hand. You can't deny it. And if you could jump in a time machine and go back to change things, you would. But you can't. All you can do is look forward. You have two choices in your outlook ... you can let this experience consume you and turn you into a hateful, bitter, mean-spirited old man. Or you can do your damndest to put it behind you and move on. I sure hope you choose that second thing.

The best of luck to you.

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2012, 11:51 pm

That is my worst fear. I don't think I could handle it. I would probably snap and scream and scream nonstop.