Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kailuamom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 4:16 pm

dr01dguy wrote:
Honestly, I think you're all over-analyzing her world view. Nine times out of ten, when somebody autistic says something about a topic of intense interest or stress, they literally mean *exactly* what they say. Especially kids, who haven't learned how to fake lying in socially-expected ways.

The cat isn't a metaphor for her life, her dad, or the divorce. The cat is a memory she had from a happier time in her life, and obsessing about the cat brings back happy memories of that time.

She doesn't care about getting adult attention, unless it means she can reclaim more happy knowledge about the cat.

The cat is not a metaphor for the loss of her father figure. She doesn't have penis envy. Freudian theory just plain doesn't work with Aspies. We're the monkey wrench that breaks just about every behavioral model psychiatry holds dear. When it comes to hidden agendas and innuendo, Aspies have the finesse and subtlety of a chainsaw.

In all honesty, she's probably is more confused and hurt by the attitudes of everyone towards her dad being a woman now than the fact that "dad" ls now her "other mom".

I totally disagree. I don't actually think its because of a gender thing, rather a abrupt change in family relationships, who she lives with and loss of everything she knew. I don't think she thinks it's a metaphor though, I just think that she feels profound loss and is focusing on the cat.

I believe loss is cumulative. When someone I love dies,for some reason the grief comes up about the other losses. Further, I have had an easier time accessing my grief in some of the more distant relationships than for the very big relationships in my life.

I can totally see flipping about the cat and never realizing it was over so much more.

Btw - great sphinx, I'm so sorry for your loss too. This has to be unbelievably difficult. I can't even get my head around how hard this must be for you.

I hope you have a healing visit. Take good care.

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 5:11 pm

Just to add a bit different perspective on this-my daughter also obsesses over things that happened YEARS ago that I swear she can barely remember. I was told this is part of OCD. So, your daughter may be experiencing some OCD like tendencies with regard to this particular obsession. The more she tries to NOT think about it, the more she will. So as other posters have suggested the best practice (if this is an OCD thing) is to guide her and tell her it is ok to think about the cat. You can use the rock metaphor and tell her worries/obsessive thoughts are like rocks we carry with us. It's ok to put them down. You can have a place where she can take the (metaphorical) rock, talk about the cat as much as she wants, but then tell her the rock (or the worry/upset about the cat) is going to be left in a certain place. She can come back and pick it up some time, but she can't constantly carry it around (worry about it).

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 5:26 pm

I have a four-year-old with OCD, and he is currently being helped by prescription Prozac (25 mg/day) and ABA therapy. His mood is much improved, and his obsessions are way down from where they were before.

For something like Christmas break, I would arm yourself with lots of distractions--fun cartoons, computer games, activities that you can do together. I have found that keeping my kids occupied and happy reduces obsessive thoughts.

When my older son with classic autism was having a meltdown and had an unpleasant thought stuck in his head, I would place him alone in the playroom in front of a Disney cartoon with subtitles on.

My younger son responds to hugs and distracting children's videos also.

Talking about whatever it was during the heat of the moment would just seem to increase their anxiety.

www.freevideosforautistickids.com is my website with hundreds of links and thousands of educational videos for kids, parents and educators. Son with high-functioning classic autism, aged 7, and son with OCD/Aspergers, aged 4. I love my boys!

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 6:30 pm

Sometimes when I'm worried about something, it comes out in funny ways, including in ways such as obsessing over things that are long since passed. While I'd not say that it's a metaphor or anything like that, I think it's very possible that she's worried about something here and now and it's just popping up in unusual ways. She needs something specific and tangible to worry about, and the cat is it.

Or, it could just be a random obsession.

What I would do: Use a timer. Say, "Okay, you can talk about the cat for five minutes, then for five minutes we're going to talk about x." Then engage her about x. If she starts up about the cat, just redirect gently. Do NOT yell at her or get impatient.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 7:05 pm

This one isn't random.

As soon as you can I'd get all your kids into counseling. Play therapy has really helped my daughter. Divorce is hard enough, but this is even more complicated.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 7:55 pm

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Sometimes we have totally random obsessions. They can even appear to be related when they're not.

Example:

My grandmother died two years ago. I saw her most every day for most of my life, and it's a huge loss. And now, every time someone says "grandmother," I laugh hysterically. I obsess over it. I say "grandmothers" repeatedly and laugh. You would say that I'm grieving the loss of my own grandmother and that it's coming out in unusual ways because I'm autistic and that I need counseling for my emotional "issues", right? Based on what you're telling this poster...

Meanwhile, the real story is that my friend's boyfriend's grandmothers were in a car accident the other night, and while this is NOT funny, I immediately associate the misfortune with the song Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer... and I laugh.

It's totally unrelated!

Kailuamom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 8:02 pm

Souper trooper -

You are not a little kid who now lives with a step mother instead of either parent. At the same time one of those parents wont even let you call them by the familial term you have always used.

It's not the same. It's not even close.

Frankly, I don't think this has anything to do with autism, I would say the same with respect to any child going through so much. It's a lot for a little kid to handle.

GreatSphinx
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2011, 8:30 pm

In a way, SuperTrouper is correct. She has not been diagnosed with Autism, but I will be very shocked if she is not diagnosed. A fe weeks ago, I said something to her and she became frustrated with me. I said: "Let me give you a hint..." She interrupted me and snapped: "Don't give me a hint mommy. I don't like hints!" I asked her if she wanted me to just tell her and she said yes, so I did. I was trying to just tell her how to handle herself in certain situations. I did not "mean" that I was hinting. It was just the words I used. She did not care. She wanted me to tell it like it is. She also does obsess over things a lot.

That being said, I agree with Kailuamom. I know my daughter enough to see that this is not just about the cat. I think that the cat is on the surface. I think she has feelings of sorrow and remorse about the cat. At the same time, I think it is being amplified by so much that is going on in her life. She has no control. With kids, things do manifest as other things. Her counselor in school last year had her color. She explained to her what the colors mean. I think she drew a picture of me that was mostly yellow with a few other colors (mostly yellow though). The one of her dad was drastically different. I wish I could remember what she said it was and what it meant, but I believe it said she was angry. I know she is angry at him.

SuperTrouper - you are correct. Aspies are literal, but sometimes we cannot put things into words. When we cannot do this, sometimes we symbolize. I am an Aspie too. When I can't express myself, I draw pictures to say what I am trying to say. My 11 year old, this summer, couldn't explain to me how she felt. I asked her if she could give me a color to describe what she was feeling, what it would be. Without hesitation, she said "purple." I do not know what it means, and neither does she. But the point is that things are not always so literal... even when you have a literal mind.

I cannot help but to feel guilty. I put these kids in this situation 5 1/2 years ago. I thought I was doing the right thing by giving them to their father. I have been shown I am wrong so many times, and I cannot do any thing to change it until the courts come to a decision. I cannot make them move any faster. I cannot do anything. As it was pointed out, they are with neither parent, AND they are without one of their sisters. When I started going for custody, I had to choose one child. I choose my oldest because she was the one at the greatest risk for self harm. It tore me apart to have to decide, but at that time, I could not go for all three. When I got custody of her last year, the 8 year old became bitter and angry. She hit me and couldn't control herself. She was angry at me and angry at her sister. She did not want to bein the house with her dad. Even now, a year later, she tells me she wishes she was here with me instead of her sister. It hurts to hear, not because I feel badly for me, but because I can feel the hurt she is expressing and I kick myself for making my original decision years back. I should have never given them up.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 9:00 pm

Deleted because there's no need to be a jerk. Taking a break from this site.

Kailuamom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 9:51 pm

I'm just so sorry for what you must all be going through. These are really big hurts all the way around.

I'm really mad at your ex, but I don't know how helpful that is.

Again, I hope this is a healing visit.

GreatSphinx
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2011, 10:30 pm

dr01dguy wrote:
Honestly, I think you're all over-analyzing her world view. Nine times out of ten, when somebody autistic says something about a topic of intense interest or stress, they literally mean *exactly* what they say. Especially kids, who haven't learned how to fake lying in socially-expected ways.

The cat isn't a metaphor for her life, her dad, or the divorce. The cat is a memory she had from a happier time in her life, and obsessing about the cat brings back happy memories of that time.

She doesn't care about getting adult attention, unless it means she can reclaim more happy knowledge about the cat.

The cat is not a metaphor for the loss of her father figure. She doesn't have penis envy. Freudian theory just plain doesn't work with Aspies. We're the monkey wrench that breaks just about every behavioral model psychiatry holds dear. When it comes to hidden agendas and innuendo, Aspies have the finesse and subtlety of a chainsaw.

In all honesty, she's probably is more confused and hurt by the attitudes of everyone towards her dad being a woman now than the fact that "dad" ls now her "other mom".

I had meant to address this. Especially the penis envy part. I am not saying that at all. The point I was trying to make is that she lost her father. A woman took over. I am not the only one to say this. The female person is not the same as the male. She had a father NAMED Daddy. She was told she was to never call him that again. He was to call her the name of a girl, which in her eyes (only two) was not what he was, even though he was wearing a dress. She was devastated that she could not call him Daddy. Maybe the cat is not related, or maybe it is. In either case, this is an issue that still affects all three kids... each in their own way. My youngest misses calling him Daddy. She is used to calling him the other name now. That is what she remembers. She recently saw a picture of HIM holding her as a baby. She didn't even recognize him as a guy. She said he looked like her uncle (He does). She was fascinated.

GreatSphinx
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2011, 10:32 pm

Kailuamom wrote:
I'm just so sorry for what you must all be going through. These are really big hurts all the way around.

I'm really mad at your ex, but I don't know how helpful that is.

Again, I hope this is a healing visit.

A lot of people are mad at him, and are starting to see him (or her) for what he really is (at least in his feelings towards me and how he goes about it). Honestly, I am sure I am contributing to the hurt, but I try not to. I don't want to. I just want it to end. This was supposed to be over in Sept. Now we had our December date cancelled, and there is no new date set.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 2:20 am

GreatSphinx wrote:
This is not the typical, I have an intense interest obsessing. This is a "there was a cat that I hardly remember that my mom had to put to sleep when I was four and I cannot stop thinking about him and it makes me so sad that he is gone, even though it has been almost 5 years" kind of obsessing. I have a feeling this is not about the cat. She has never spoken of him before, until I talked about him to one of my other daughters about a month ago. It was a nice talk. After that, she cannot stop thinking about him, and it makes her sad (she breaks down into tears). Her step mom says she is being ridiculous and to just stop thinking about him, but obviously that tactic is not working. I cannot take her in to talk to anyone. I still do not have custody of her. Can any one here suggest what I can do in the mean time? I am picking her up for Christmas break on Friday and have her for 10 days. I can empathize with her pain, but it has been 5 years, and she has not mentioned him until recently.

Does she take pictures with her mind and have a very good memory for details?

GreatSphinx
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2011, 5:58 pm

TheygoMew wrote:
Does she take pictures with her mind and have a very good memory for details?

Honestly. I do not know. She has a wonderful auditory memory. But I do not know how visual she is. I will have to ask her.