Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 1:06 am

My experience thus far has been that people that make a fuss about me beliefs (or lack there of) aren't people I want to be around any way.

chammich
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Dec 2011, 4:56 am

Well said Titangeek :D

anonymous-shyster
Raven
Raven

26 Dec 2011, 5:21 am

I guess the only place in my life for religious expression is when I cuss. Just on the off chance that a deity exists, I'd like to show them my displeasure.

grendel
Toucan
Toucan

27 Dec 2011, 5:46 am

I understand what you mean with these expressions, as I use many of them myself (though, not all muslims I know do use them all the time, even though they believe in them). I don't use them with english-speaking non-muslims though for the most part because then I would have to explain what they mean, etc. and plus I would get a negative reaction (as with any drawing attention to religion).

However I have been on both sides of the fence as I was raised atheist. As an atheist I did not feel comfortable using expressions with God or religious concepts in them (like "Oh my God" etc) even though lots of atheist I knew did so freely. I simply did not incorporate it into my language (I never liked swearing anyway). I also didn't make any attempt to pretend to be Christian (the predominant religion where I grew up -- people would often assume I was at first but then they would ask things like, what church do you go to, if you were religious, and I would say, I don't go to church, I don't believe in God, etc). I didn't have any desire in getting into discussions/arguments with people about (Proselytizing is one of the most obnoxious activities) but I certainly wouldn't have felt comfortable making any pretense.

Personally if I were in your shoes I would not put these phrases back in. If you're questioned, say, you have your religion, and I have mine (yes atheism is a belief too). Even though I believe strongly in Allah (God) now, I don't believe in hypocrisy on either side of the fence. Furthermore compulsion is the antithesis of religion and there are many verses related to this in the Qur'an, which you can call upon if further explanation is necessary. Forcing someone into hypocrisy or acting in pretense about their beliefs is contrary to Islam so I don't see how they could have much case against you if they object to your speech. I believe, but I don't believe in trying to force other people to believe something and the fact that this behavior is against Islam is one of the first things I liked about Islam.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 11:56 am

Tequila wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
People are being able to tell I am an atheist or at least a non-in-god-believer just by the interaction with me for a while, I don't disclose my non-belief state and I often try to hide it and avoid any religion-related subjects.

Have you become anti-religion or just agnostic like many people in England?

I am more on the agnostic side, I am not really a militant atheist.

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2012, 10:08 pm

The same thing applies to Panama. However I have no friends, and I rarely talk to people.

Here are some examples:

Nos vemos, si Dios quiere = See you soon, if God wants it
Hasta mañana, si Dios quiere = See you tomorrow, if God wants it.
Bueno, nos vemos, Dios mediante = Well, see you soon, but that depends on God
Adios = goodbye. (but notice A-Dios, so goodbye can also mean "to god")

And so on. I don't mention that word God when I talk. We don't have a death penalty here for apostasy, but
you may end up in jail for the crime of blasphemy. However I don't know of anyone who has ended up in jail
for this crime. Perhaps you can get your ass kicked by someone for not being religious, and no one will help you
because they think you deserve it. Once again, I haven't seen it. Mainly because I haven't seen an atheist in
this country besides me.

Perhaps you should find smarter, more educated friends, or do what I do: spend your life alone.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

28 Jan 2012, 10:53 am

I find this discussion rather interesting how God is used as slang in various forms and languages.

As far as your dilemma, you need to ask yourself these questions:
Would not applying the word Allah in your everyday speech:

Affect your employment options?
Affect you in a legal situation?
Affect your education?
Affect your safety? (if applies)
causes undeserved social suffering?

if no, then dont worry about it, but if you answer yes to some of those, you might want to follow the social niceties of applying Allah to half of everything you say.
Even if you just throw in one Allah saying in a conversation...it could prevent people from automatically assuming you are an atheist.

Jojo

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 12:44 pm

I try not to use the word God and Jesus too much in my texts, or should I say, at all.

Billybones
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2012, 2:28 pm

I am an atheist who lives in a VERY religious, conservative part of the U.S.A., so I've had to tip-toe around this issue from time to time.

First of all, though I believe what I believe for reasons that are valid & true to me, I try to be careful never to denigrate another person's faith (one of the social skills I've tried to teach myself). I do like discussing philosophical matters with like-minded people, but I know it's a lost cause to try to get other people to see things the way I do.

I'm put off, however, by people who are constantly trying to witness, or as I like to say it (in the company of good friends), "shoving Jesus in my face". In general, these aren't the kind of people that I'm too keen on building social bonds with anyway, but in some situations one just has to deal with people. As I try hard not to make enemies, my usual response is to try to end to conversation quickly, or at least steer it somewhere else.

I've found that evangelicals/fundamentalists often like to drop cues into their speech. My non-response to these cues usually turns them off right away. It's usually not a problem, unless they happen to be in a position of authority over me, in which case misunderstanding leads to outright contempt.

Even more disconcerting, though, is when there is an element of coercion in such witnessing, like, when it is clear that some profession of faith is socially expected or even demanded. I've get evil looks from time to time from other people at public gatherings when I don't bow my head as a prayer is read over a loudspeaker. Another example is a workplace in which the employer regularly sponsors "Bible studies" - ostensibly voluntary but which those who are serious about their career WILL attend. These are situations that make me feel very ill at ease, but still I refuse to play along for the sake of keeping up appearances.