Writers, please help: What do you do if...

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2011, 9:03 pm

Write, because no one is a writer, all of our heads are full of garbage, and the only outlet is the keyboard.

My method has no order, I write a scene, which something must come before and after. While I thought I knew, writing makes new connections, let the work teach you. My first book ran 25000 pages, I used some of it to reduce it to 250 pages.

Anything you write can say the same thing, better, in half the words.

Let it flow freely, then Edit, Edit, and keep the story.

After a while, you find your writers voice, which leaves less to edit out, but keep adding fluff, for some of it develops, some does not.

Write like no one is watching, they are not, read it like a reader for the first time. The goal is the reader, but to get there, takes excess writing, which leads to the work educating the writer, which leads to a rewrite, and it still has to pass reader comfort.

It is story telling, there is no set path, some start with an outline, some just write a scene, Most of what I write does not end up like I thought when I started. Writing, and worse, Characters, talk back to the writer.

Give your brain a chance to talk about you, it will. Brain cells do pay attention, and when a group get control of the mad ape at the keyboard, others join in.

We are many things, but mostly one at a time, writing lets other brain parts join in. As the reader has other brain parts it works.

You are you, the readers are young, old, male, female, the story has to be for all.

You are the one with doubts, your brain is calling for a book, just let it run. Writing random will start the process, till suddenly the brain sees it can skip you and go directly to the keyboard. You are just an ape for brain transport. It is Other, the reader is other, you are outvoted 2 to 1.

Ten pages a day, everyday. establish the flow with words about dust on the table and the track of an ant, and more content will come.

Sit, type, hold a long conversation with your brain. Crazy people talk to themselves, writers write it down.

Good Luck!

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2011, 9:22 pm

Writers write. It's literally the only thing that defines them. Write anything at first, clean it up later.

Djimbe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2011, 6:59 am

What I want to write most is about Martial Arts, Training, what it means, what it means in today's society, myths vs truths, and how it can be good to your life, as well as how it can be integrated into your life.

I have actually thought about writing something autobiographical, because I think that it is important that what happened to me never happen to anyone else, but sometimes I think its a bad Idea, because a lot of the stuff that happened to me was really bad, and its kind of always been embarrassing to me on a lot of levels.

I think that Im not really communicating my problem well. Ive never been good at any kind of long-term organised project. Its like I drift off- i want to say into tangents but thats not really true. Into doing the laundry or tasting various things about the house.

Djimbe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2011, 7:00 am

oh and thanks for the Input everyone, and merry christmas.

Be Well.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 5:54 pm

Djimbe wrote:
What I want to write most is about Martial Arts, Training, what it means, what it means in today's society, myths vs truths, and how it can be good to your life, as well as how it can be integrated into your life.

If you're writing about martial arts, maybe you should talk to techstepgenr8tion? He's very into martial arts as well.