Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

itfits
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Oct 2006, 12:41 pm

I did not get to see this in the theater I was wondering if it was any good? It is set for release on DVD on 12/12/06 is it worth ordering?

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2006, 1:07 pm

It was never had a wide-release in theatres. It was shown at some local theatres in Spokane where it was filmed. There is a thread somewhere here about it. The reviews are very mixed and I am looking forward to seeing it.

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2006, 1:58 pm

awwwww. :heart: I loved it. Some stereotyping, but I guess that's inevitable.

11 Oct 2006, 6:45 pm

I didn't see stereotypes in it. I think everyone who was in this group Donald runs were all on the spectrum and every one of them was different. It is worth getting. I'm getting it again when it comes to DVD because it be region 1. It better come out.

TijuanaLady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2006, 8:04 pm

Very dissapointing for me...

A lot of stereotypes...and the story was kind of boring (predictable). i was expecting sth better.
Watchable but nothing special.

11 Oct 2006, 8:31 pm

What were the steriotypes? Literalness? I'm literal. Lack of eye contact? I lack it but getting better at it.

Snowfern
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2006, 7:25 am

overdramatized, but that's hollywood so you can't expect less eh?

i liked some parts of it, but on the whole it's forgettable.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 2:28 pm

I've not seen it yet, I would like to. The man that was the inspiration for the male lead is Jerry Newport, who has Aspergers himself and so does his wife Mary Meindel. The movie was inspired by their courtship. I think if most people would look at it as just one look into one 'couple's life based on a real life Aspie couple, they'd realize that they aren't really looking at portraying all Aspies. They are just showing the 'courtship' of two Aspies.

pi_woman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2006, 5:52 pm

Wonderful. It's about finding a way to live with AS, no matter where the Spectrum takes you. Seeing the movie made AS more real, less an abstract concept for me since I'm recently diagnosed and have only ever met other aspies here in the rarified atmosphere of cyberspace.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 11:07 pm

I went to a presentation by Mary and Jerry Newport last week. They showed exerpts from Mozart and the Whale. It looked really good and I plan on getting the dvd. It's the story of how an AS couple met, so no others with AS should take offense if they are not identical in behavior to the way the actors are in the movie. It's not meant to be a documentary on Aspergers or Autism; its just a story about two people who happen to have AS.

The dvd is being released by Sony Dec 12th. In January the book, by the same name is released. The book is more than the movie; it goes into more detail about Mary's interesting and complicated life. By the way, did anyone else know Mary has been on several sci-fi shows and movies? She plays aliens a lot. Really cool lady. Mary and Jerry are really wonderful people so I think everyone should be open about the book and movie and celebrate that some adults Aspies have made their mark on the world! 8)