Are strange accents part of Asperger's?

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 7:46 am

Teredia wrote:
I also have other aspie friends who have this so called "american" accent, we all blame it on the fact we used to watch so many American TV shows as kids.

I know, right? I'm like OMG.

Sona_21
Raven
Raven

25 Dec 2011, 8:42 am

People have been asking me if I'm english since elementary school. Once I was asked "What part of germany are you from?". Someone else asked if I didn't have a palate (I do). By the way I'm american.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 10:56 am

Yes! People always tell me I sound like I'm from Minnesota or Wisconsin, but I've been to neither in my life. I've also been told I sound Canadian, but I'm from Florida!

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2011, 11:03 am

I'm English, yet I get told many times that my accent sounds Japanese. I've studied Japanese since I was 12..

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 11:06 am

Minnesota eh?

shubunkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Dec 2011, 12:44 pm

I've been told I sound as if I come from the West Country -

I don't - and only been there once .....

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 12:48 pm

I think Aspies have an "accent" because they do not absorb the local accent as easily as someone more socially wired. I used to speak with greater diction than everyone else, and loads of people thought I was English. I now have the ability to mimic those around me. Now, I apparently speak with a more pronounced accent than even most locals, although I can switch to General American when I need to.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 12:49 pm

I don't have an unusual accent, mine's the same as other cockneys. I know a bus-driver who has an unusual accent, but she really is from Essex like me and so are her parents and rest of the family, but I think she has traits of an ASD, or if not, some other disorder.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 12:49 pm

Sparx wrote:
Yes! People always tell me I sound like I'm from Minnesota or Wisconsin, but I've been to neither in my life. I've also been told I sound Canadian, but I'm from Florida!

Don't a lot of people from the Midwest retire in Florida, or are you not from that part?

Quixotic
Raven
Raven

25 Dec 2011, 1:13 pm

My accent is very different to others in the East Midlands, UK. I’ve been told I don’t really have a regional accent and come across as posh. But I’ve always put this down to my mother coming from Sussex and my father from Ireland; didn’t think it was necessarily an aspie thing; might have to reconsider. :)

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 2:48 pm

My voice has always been weird. I'm DXed NVLD, not Aspergers, I probably fit the qualifications for AS, but whatever. For some reason, people say my voice sounds British. Huh? I think it's because I try to speak properly at all times. Monotone is a complaint I get constantly, too. I've told the story on this board, how a Pakistani guy didn't even think I was American, and I was born here. So I don't know, possible, but yeah, I don't know. Still, it was odd being told I had a British accent. I think I'm just excessively formal in normal conversation speech, and I basically talk in real life as I type on this board, so if you met a person like that, yeah.

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Dec 2011, 6:15 pm

I grew up in the South, but I don't always have a Southern accent. If I am talking to strangers, I have no identifiable accent. People will often ask me where I'm from. I am also usually anxious talking to strangers. At home with my partner I have a particular type of Southern accent, similar to that of where I live. When I went to Texas with her (where she lived for many years) I quickly developed a Texan accent, particularly a San Antonio one. When I am with my parents I have a west Tennessee accent, which is where they are from. It's almost like I unconsciously think of the different accents more as different dialects or languages, and shift into the appropriate one without thinking about it.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 6:33 pm

Everyone thinks I am from Australia...

One of the Psychologists that I work with says that there is this ASD prgmatic thing. I keep saying that this topic would be a dissertaion worthy one. :)

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 6:46 pm

lotuspuppy wrote:
Sparx wrote:

Don't a lot of people from the Midwest retire in Florida, or are you not from that part?

Hm... there are a lot of retired northerners in Florida. My dad is from New Jersey, but we still pronounce things differently. I did grow up watching some Canadian shows, so maybe I picked it up from them...

vickypollard
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Dec 2011, 8:53 pm

I'm Dutch but go to an English-spoken university. I speak fluent English, about 95% self-taught since I was 8. When I was very young I spoke with an American accent because television was my main source of information, but since my grandmother is English I decided to start speaking with a British accent a few years ago. Non-native English speakers praise me for my nice, natural-sounding accent but native English speakers have frequently told me I have a slight French accent (I speak French, not very fluently though). One even thought I was from South-Africa after hearing me speak.

Last edited by vickypollard on 25 Dec 2011, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackmt
Raven
Raven

25 Dec 2011, 9:06 pm

theaspiemusician wrote:
When I say "about" I say "A Boat"

Eastern Canada, right?