Do your fellow students know you have autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SkipNip
Raven
Raven

25 Dec 2011, 1:59 pm

If so, how and when did they find out and do you think they treat you differently after finding out? I told a few people how I got registered with the disability office and I think everyone knows by now. I think everyone has become cooler with me after finding this out. I found out another guy in my class is diagnosed with ASD and funnily enough, hes the one person that I suspected to have it from the start. He has better social skills than I do and participates in social activities way more than I do but I could see that he shares a load of my abnormal traits and unlike the majority of the students in the class, he is genuinely interested in science related things which is why I get along well with him.

ComradeKim
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2011, 9:33 pm

I am currently in the first year of my A-level courses at a school in Britain, and my interests are chemistry, physics, languages and worldbuilding. Most of the people I like talking to know that I have AS, but it isn't like many people would really care either way. I think if people were more aware of my behaviour at home they would realise, as at school it is less obvious. People have picked up on the fact that I am averse to being touched under most circumstances, and use that for their own amusement. In general I don't react that much if I don't dislike the person. There is another person with ASD in the year above and we share some interests, though not all. There is also someone else who everyone thinks has ASD in the same year as me, but people don't like him very much because he is generally antisocial and interacts poorly.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 11:07 am

ComradeKim wrote:
I am currently in the first year of my A-level courses at a school in Britain, and my interests are chemistry, physics, languages and worldbuilding. Most of the people I like talking to know that I have AS, but it isn't like many people would really care either way. I think if people were more aware of my behaviour at home they would realise, as at school it is less obvious. People have picked up on the fact that I am averse to being touched under most circumstances, and use that for their own amusement. In general I don't react that much if I don't dislike the person. There is another person with ASD in the year above and we share some interests, though not all. There is also someone else who everyone thinks has ASD in the same year as me, but people don't like him very much because he is generally antisocial and interacts poorly.

Totally. My close friends know of my asd.

Stickboi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2012, 4:25 am

I was dx'd as an Aspie while in the last year of graduate (PT) school. I didn't believe it at first, but after talking to a few friends from class there was no surprise and more than a few suspected something different. It turns out everyone in my class wanted to punch me in the face the first year until they figured out that I was just a super straight shooter. In a way, I'm very grateful that my class was so tolerant, even without an official diagnosis, and gave me a chance to present myself even though my first impressions were so poor.

In the end, my classmates have said that it has helped put their minds at ease more than anything, and has helped them filter some of the more ridiculous things that I end up saying. Keep in mind though, because of the nature of a physical therapy school curriculum, they are all knowledgeable of the diagnosis, and for the most part experienced (in varying levels of course) in handling individuals with autism. YMMV in other arenas.