Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

jmagda
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Dec 2011, 7:47 pm

Hello, I'm new here, and would like to introduce myself even though I'm terrible at it. I'm originally from New Jersey, but am now living in the UK with my boyfriend who is originally from NYC. We are both Aspies and sort of "escaped" to the UK to get away from hectic and overpopulated NY and NJ. We made the mistake of living in London for a bit (just as hectic as NYC), but now reside in the seaside town of Brighton. However, we are going to end up moving back to NYC sometime next year because it turns out we miss having a sense of familiarity, and feel very lonely and far removed from everything.

Ever since we came here, we had no luck making friends, and I had trouble finding work for awhile. In London I worked in some high-end retail shop in Kensington where the clients were very rich, mean, and demanding, and I lasted there about a month. My bf works as a baker and doesn't mind his job much because it's very routine. I now work as an assistant for a local jewellery designer, but it's only for a few hours a week, and I basically work out of her kitchen on a laptop. It's nice not having to deal with many coworkers and/or annoying customers, but at the same time it's very lonely. I make and design jewellery myself, but I'm nervous about setting up my own business due to the whole "bureaucratic" aspect of it (like filing taxes as an independent business, pricing your work, dealing with people's money, etc). When I lived in NJ, I managed to hold one job for a pretty long time (4 years), and it was at a university working as an assistant secretary for an international student program. I found the students to be polite and pleasant to deal with, and my coworkers knew that I was very shy on the phone and had a hard time dealing with face-to-face inquiries, so they "took over for me" for that stuff and let me do all the data entry work. My coworkers were also much older than me, so it was more comfortable working with them than with younger people. I hope to find another job like that when I go back to NYC, but I'm not exactly sure what sorts of places are Aspie-friendly. I did some internet research, but it hasn't been very helpful, so I figured that fellow Aspies should know best.

Ok I'm finished rambling for now. I apologize for the lengthy introduction! :[

SGJS
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2011, 12:22 am

Hello, welcome to the sunny side of England :).
I've always loved heading into Brighton. Although, as I live an hour or so away, I can only speak about the job hunt vicariously, it seems to be pretty damned hard to be honest with ya.
That said, if ya find yourself down a pub shout loud enough for a pint of the guiness and your sure to make friends, even if they are 80, toothless and trying to touch your bum (and/or your boyfriends depending which pub your in). Only joking!..?

And they said I should give up writing travel books...
SGJS.

jmagda
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Dec 2011, 9:46 am

Haha thanks for the advice, but I can't even drag myself to a pub in fear of looking stupid. :(

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 9:38 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

jmagda
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Dec 2011, 9:25 am

Thank you :)

mattw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Dec 2011, 10:23 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet! From above the Watford Gap!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 2:30 am

Welkome to WP

MickImage

misteryb
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jan 2012, 3:48 pm

Hello I'm new on this site too but I live in Brighton and my gf of long standing is a silver jeweler-- is that a weird coincidence or what? Probably not. Anyway welcome to Brighton to you and your bf. I hope you can stay.

I think I probably have Asperger type thingy. I did some web tests which say it's very likely. It would explain a lot about my troubled past... why I don't like being with people etc, why I could talk to animals but not people etc, so what I wanted to ask was what is the benefit if any of getting a diagnosis? How do you go about it? Why do it?

I am quite a capable person in spite of all I've contended with. You sound as if you are too.

All best wishes.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 4:00 pm

Hi jmagda. Welcome to WP. Hope you like it here.

Never been to Brighton, but what do you miss about the US? The English won't bite, you know. ;)