Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

madeofstars
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Dec 2011, 9:59 pm

Hello all, I just found this website today after reading the NY Times article "Navigating Love and Autism," and then researching more information about Asperger Syndrome. I think it's great that the couple who were featured in the article are also writers on this site! :)

Anyway, I'm excited to have finally joined as a member. I've already spent a few hours reading through the articles and posts on here and I feel so enlightened. All my life, I have felt disconnected from others socially, unable to understand or really be interested in things that others seem to just naturally align with. I always joked to myself that the social part of my brain was broken or missing, but now I'm thinking it's not so much of a joke .... :?

I've been to doctors, counselors, therapists, etc. and have been diagnosed with everything from ADHD to BPD to OCD and back, and I've never agreed with any of them because they only focused on one part of the entire picture (the inattentiveness, the inability to control my emotions or even comprehend them, the intense focus on some things but complete lack of awareness of other things, etc.). I feel like something on the autism spectrum is a lot closer to the truth than any of these other diagnoses.

Or maybe I have all of them or maybe I'm just a hypochondriac, I don't know. :roll: All I do know for sure is that the information on this site has made me feel more at peace and secure with myself than all of my therapy sessions, medications, and consultations combined. So thank you all so much for having this great community full of resources and advice. I hope to stick around and participate instead of fade into the background like I do on all other forums or social things!

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 10:09 pm

Welcome! :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 11:31 pm

hiya Madeofstars :)
in seattle there is a square pegs aspie meetup every month.

madeofstars
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2011, 12:03 am

Thanks Sparx and auntblabby!

auntblabby wrote:

Great, thanks for letting me know! Can you send me the dates, times, and location? Or is there a forum post that already has this info?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 1:56 am

madeofstars wrote:
Thanks Sparx and auntblabby!

auntblabby wrote:

Great, thanks for letting me know! Can you send me the dates, times, and location? Or is there a forum post that already has this info?

CLICKY HERE for the seattle squarepegs aspie meetup info

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 2:25 am

Welcome.