In trouble for a remark that was interpreted the wrong way

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

WhoKnowsWhy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2011, 12:21 am

Yep. I asked a serious question to a customer, and the customer said I was being rude. Now, my boss says I will be fired if I get another complaint....any suggestions? I am so sick of people misinterpreting me :(

vanguard313
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2011, 1:24 am

Your not alone, i was called into my boss's office today and he told me a co-worker complained that i was following them around, among other things. I told them my side of the story, and i explained to my bosses about my AS. And that all i wanted to do was become friends with this person and that i was unaware she was uncomfortable with me, but because of my AS i told them i have difficulties when it comes to social interactions with girls or any social setting with people . So because of her misinterpreting my actions she thinks i'm stalking her and i'm not, and i was told not have any further interaction with this person. So now my boss told me they have to investigate this situation, and it could either lead to corrective action or termination for me, if your curious to where i work its Target six years running.

For your situation, i would say next time try to tell the customer your not trying to be rude or offensive and your helping as best you can. And try to explain to your Human Resource person or boss about it so that they can try to understand and help.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 2:08 am

I would stop talking to the customers and only answer their questions they ask you. I am not sure what kind of job you have so I don't know if this advice would help.

DeviantBeauty
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2012, 3:18 am

WhoKnowsWhy wrote:
Yep. I asked a serious question to a customer, and the customer said I was being rude. Now, my boss says I will be fired if I get another complaint....any suggestions? I am so sick of people misinterpreting me :(

Yeah, that has happened to me a LOT. And it's funny, because I can ask a bunch of customers the same questions, and I'll have a positive outcome often enough that I think that it's an acceptable social gesture. And then someone will get super offended or pissed off and I'll get in trouble. It's really confusing.

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2012, 6:41 am

WhoKnowsWhy wrote:

Just to clarify, do you think the complaint was really about what you said, or about how you said it?? I've seen people get very upset by the way people say something as opposed to what was actually said. Although, the offended person may not realise it at the time. Sometimes one has to be very careful with the words one uses. There is often more than one way to say the same thing, with one way being construed as being offensive and the other not being the case.

Though granted, it can be difficult to distinguish the two, especially as different people get offended in different ways.

HighPlateau
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2012, 1:44 am

To the person who offended a customer, frankly, I think you're doing quite well if people misinterpret you as 'rude' so rarely that when it happens you post a question on WP about it! I agree that you're best off speaking when you're spoken to. If you need to ask questions to find out what the customer wants, just ask your manager's help to make a list of what are and are not appropriate questions, then learn them by rote. Then stick to the script for a long, long time and don't depart from it until you are sure you have nailed the right approach.

If you do this, you will (a) show your manager you are keen to learn and (b) keep out of trouble in future and (c) hopefully - in a fair world - save your job.

To the person in trouble for following a young woman when it is not welcome, this is always called 'stalking', whether you realised or intended it or not. It is not appropriate to 'blame' AS - no matter how much you think it is the reason for your error. Not-stalking is simply a piece of social behaviour everybody - regardless of their situation - needs to learn, in the same way as not-stealing is, or appropriate personal hygiene is. Your best bet now is to take responsibility for your action as a big social gaffe (error or mistake), apologise without reservation to the young woman (you will probably have to do this in a supervised situation), avoid blaming anything or anybody other than yourself, swallow your pride and just wear it.

Stalking harms other people because it makes them afraid. In some places, stalking is illegal and could cause your arrest, or the registering of an apprehended violence order and the like. It is not a slight matter. Meanwhile, you are giving AS people a bad name by aligning behaviour that harms others with the syndrome. Please don't do that in future.

Sometimes, too, people make false accusations. There is nothing you can do about this, unfortunately, unless you are strong and well enough resourced to fight it publicly. Mud still tends to stick. You are better off doing whatever it takes (within the law and the boundaries of appropriate, non-threatening behaviour) to make the accusation go away. A lesson in real life - not pretty, but there it is.

DeviantBeauty
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2012, 4:00 am

I think that calling it "stalking" depends on a few things. If the person is only following someone around at work, and not outside of the office, is it really stalking? Stalking is something that is invasive of another person's privacy as well as something that creates fear, and I think that at work, we generally tend to have less privacy than at home or otherwise out in the world. Also, if the following behavior isn't causing fear, but merely discomfort in certain limited situations, it's more an issue of poor social boundaries in the workplace than "stalking". Just my take, with the limited information given.

HighPlateau
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2012, 5:17 am

DeviantBeauty wrote:
I think that calling it "stalking" depends on a few things. If the person is only following someone around at work, and not outside of the office, is it really stalking? Stalking is something that is invasive of another person's privacy as well as something that creates fear, and I think that at work, we generally tend to have less privacy than at home or otherwise out in the world. Also, if the following behavior isn't causing fear, but merely discomfort in certain limited situations, it's more an issue of poor social boundaries in the workplace than "stalking". Just my take, with the limited information given.

Your point is very fair, DeviantBeauty, especially the part about less privacy at work. Unfortunately, here the accusation has already been made and the label applied and acted upon by managers. It is one of those nasty labels where, in practice, someone tends to be guilty until proved innocent.

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2012, 12:23 pm

If you are Aspie and unsure about any work situation dealing with customers or fellow workers, it's best to not do or say anything. If you have an NT friend/co-worker/boss you can trust, ask them about the situation. Unfortunately, it's often easy for Aspies to appear rude, or for our behavior to appear to be "stalking."

DeviantBeauty
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2012, 2:34 pm

HighPlateau wrote:
DeviantBeauty wrote:

Your point is very fair, DeviantBeauty, especially the part about less privacy at work. Unfortunately, here the accusation has already been made and the label applied and acted upon by managers. It is one of those nasty labels where, in practice, someone tends to be guilty until proved innocent.

It's a real shame that people so quickly resort to hyperbole or over-reaction, because an accusation like that will haunt an innocent person for a long time, but won't follow the accuser nearly as long. I'm deeply sympathetic toward victims (I've been an advocate for victim's rights for a long time) so I feel reticent to invalidate anyone's feelings of victimization. However, I feel like there are a lot of times where people will over-react and paint someone as a perpetrator and thereby trivialize people who are victimized in a way that causes long-term trauma. Does that make sense?