Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 1:34 am

Jory wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i wonder if i'm the only one here who just uses the DVDs instead of streaming? my internet connection is too slow to stream.

I dropped the streaming when they raised their prices. I have broadband and frequently watch movies online, but Netflix's streaming selection at the time was just awful. No idea if it's improved since then.

I dropped the DVDs when they raised the price. The streaming selection is improving little by little.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 8:06 pm

I pay the cable and my son pays for Netflix so I don't know how much it costs. I'm happy I don't have to go to the store which doesn't have stuff I'm looking for unless it's new. There are so many places to watch movies you don't have to pay like Crackle and some Hulu stuff.

I don't know what I'll do if he decides to end it. 8O Then again I might sacrifice the useless basic cable entirely streaming.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 9:05 pm

gee, i wonder if i'm the only netflixer here who uses a TV antenna for over-the-air tv broadcasts, instead of springing for cable?

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 9:37 pm

auntblabby wrote:
gee, i wonder if i'm the only netflixer here who uses a TV antenna for over-the-air tv broadcasts, instead of springing for cable?

I get cable because I'm living with my parents and they get it, but if I were living on my own, I certainly wouldn't waste my money on it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 10:07 pm

Jory wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I get cable because I'm living with my parents and they get it, but if I were living on my own, I certainly wouldn't waste my money on it.

one thing for you to be aware of- unless you live in a wide flat valley with the transmitter up on a hill, your reception will be spotty unless you erect a deep-fringe antenna [with an in-line signal amplifier] high atop a mast or even a topped tree. that is what i had to do to get over-the-air reception, because DTV broadcasts are notoriously weak further than 10-20 miles from the transmitter, with any terrain that is not wide and flat. it's not at all like the good ol' days before 2009 when analog was the system still in use, you can no longer rely on just a pair of "rabbit ears" atop the tv set or even a large antenna in the attic, it's gotta be atop a mast 50-60' above the roof, for most folk who live outside the major cities. i only live 50 miles from the nearest transmitter tower and i still had to go through all that. to contrast comparitively weak digital tv broadcasting versus the still robust analog fm broadcasts, i can pick up KING-FM 98.1 clear as a bell 50 miles away, using just a dipole in the window facing north, this despite the fact that KING aims their TX antenna NORTH [that's where the rich folk live, so that's where the radio broadcast adverts are targeted]! OTOH, using a large tv antenna just 10' above my roof, i got absolutely no digital signal. so it was treetop or nothing, because basic cable here costs $55 a month that i no longer have.

now to get back on thread, i just bet that netflix is gonna run into a fresh run of financial trouble starting next spring, when the post office's plan to cut hundreds of processing centers starts up, which will slow the mail down by an average of 1.5 days. when folk can't get timely mailings of their DVDs or if the bulk postage rates go up, netflix goes bye-bye, or at least gets scaled waaayyy back to just servicing the major cities, no more rural service. subscription fees will likely also go up. so all you country dwellers, enjoy netflix DVD-by-mail while it lasts.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 11:36 am

If I lived alone I would just have broadband internet and Netflix. I didn't realize Netflix was being damned by its success but it makes perfect sense. Hulu sucks because it can't get licensing rights, youtube sucks because WMG is all over it. Cable doesn't compare to on demand streaming capability at all, the second they realize that the prices will shoot through the roof and then cable will probably become indie lol.