A funny thing happened on the way to the internet....

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Norm26
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2011, 2:16 pm

My wife and I believe her 14 tear old son may have Aspergers. While researching it, she sent me an article that came out recently in the New York Times and said she thinks I have Aspergers! After reading it, I think she may be right. What do you think? Here are some things I picked out that I do or did.

1. Stimming...when alone if I get excited about somethingmy arms/hands go into a quick spaz mode. It's voluntary (as in I don't HAVE to do it) but I do anyway.

2. I can read an entire book and have no idea what it was about when I finish. It's only for the immediate gratification of reading. Once it's done, I could read it again as if I never did.

3. My right leg jumps up and down when I'm sitting and that is almost impossible to stop.

4. I'm very introverted and get very tense in public settings or when I have to meet new people. Makes it tough especially since I work in a place where that happens all the time.

5. I have to be on time. And so do others. And when they aren't, I flip out.

6. I stare off into space a lot and for extended periods of time.

7. I forget names of people I work closely with.

8. In many ways I visualize in pictures but can't explaing to anyone what that visualization looks like. I can see the weekend for example in my head as a constant picture....but I can't describe it. Same for things like the alphabet.

9. I would rather stay home than EVER leave the house. I don't but if I had a choice....

10. I cannot get close to anyone. My wife included. Not even my own kids.

11. I feel empathy for people but not visibly. My expression never changes.

There's probably more...but right now, I can't remember! What do you think?

ETA: This isn't encouraging....
Your Aspie score: 138 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 69 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Dec 2011, 3:16 pm

Seek a diagnosis just to make sure. It does sound like it, though.

You have nothing to fear, though!

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 3:27 pm

^ Seconded.

Btw, regarding #8: good description! That's been happening to me for years but I couldn't find the right words to describe what it's like. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2011, 3:45 pm

Yeah, it totally sounds like you are Aspie. Get a diagnosis if you have access to medical care. I did not find out about my apsie nature until I was 29 years old. In my opinion, getting the diagnosis sooner rather than later is a good thing. :D