Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 2:33 am

not coming back to gripe about console modding, i can't anymore.

i remembered that i soft modded my ps2 some time back, and i just jail broke my psp to mod dissidia 012.

with dissidia modding suite you can nearly make dissidia into a mugen type thing, if i didn't screw anything up, i should have a crisis core seph and xemnas\wol thing, unless the textures are all out of whack.

first time modding this game so i am guessing there will be trial and error.

but i'm a hypocrite if say i am against it anymore, and i guess i already am a hypocrite because i said that after i soft modded my ps2. and broke two metal pieces to get the swap magic lid on.

so i'm an idiot, but it's not like that was a secret.

xemnas: *snickers*
me: *shoots xemmy an icy glare*
xemnas: you do know i can fling you into next week jet?
me: oh crap your right. *runs down the hall*
xemnas: *chases* threaten me will you!! !

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 6:39 pm

This might sound odd, but I find modding consoles almost totally devalues the game playing experience. I've previously modded my PSP and ran flashcard in a DS, I had every game available for both at the time and just didn't play either console.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 2:24 am

May I ask what you mean by modding consoles? I've modded my sims 3 game, but I've never heard of modding a console.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 4:11 am

ebec11 wrote:
May I ask what you mean by modding consoles? I've modded my sims 3 game, but I've never heard of modding a console.

Using a software modification or exploit to make a piece of hardware's operating system do something it wasn't intended to do, or in some cases was intended to do, but only by technicians working at the maufacturer. You can modify a PSP to play illegal images (copies) of retail games or run emulators created to run on the modified operating system. The old pre-360 Xbox could be modified into a media centre and retro game system. The 360 can be modified, but it's slightly more complicated. I haven't really kept up to be honest, I just rent games now from Love Film and I reinstalled official firmware on my PSP to play Peace Walker ages ago.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 10:06 am

ebec11 wrote:
May I ask what you mean by modding consoles?

"Using hacktools developed by others." Script kiddie stuff.

Unless, by some unlikely chance, the person talking is one of the rare few who genuinely hack into console firmware for kicks using mad programming skillz, in which case kudos and (grey) hats off.

The year is still young.

RonP
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Mar 2012, 8:53 pm

I use a modded Nintendo Dsi and love it.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 9:09 am

Ambivalence wrote:
"Using hacktools developed by others." Script kiddie stuff.

Unless, by some unlikely chance, the person talking is one of the rare few who genuinely hack into console firmware for kicks using mad programming skillz, in which case kudos and (grey) hats off.

You neglected to mention harware modding ;) For example, I've got an overclock switch on my Genesis, which is pretty cool (especially in Road Rash 2), but makes the audio a bit glitchy. Also, I swapped out my XBox's (not 360) hard drive for a much larger one.

RonP wrote:
I use a modded Nintendo Dsi and love it.

Generally speaking, Nintendo DSes are not modded, they'll run a flash cart without any modifications at all.

The only time I've ever seen a DS modded was so that my friend could run DS ROMs from a GBA flash cart without requiring a "key".