Working your way up in North America

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2011, 3:48 am

Nobody is your friend. Everybody that you work with signed a contract that stated they will work with you. You can't trust anyone, no one at all. Its like living under Stalin, everybody can and will inform on you if you say or do anything that is perceived as ill. Tomorrow I have to remind myself that no one is my true friend. NO ONE. In a small way I envy people who live in any kind of hood. Because if someone disrespects you, well hey you can beat the sh*t out of them or worse. Trying to enter White Collar White People land and be an accepted member of the middle class, well.....huh whenever the system does you dirty you have to just keep on smiling and go about your business. All you can do is move up the ladder and leave them behind. Sucks but what can you do.

Had to blow off some steam and this seemed like a good way to do it.

blindJustice
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Dec 2011, 3:52 am

Circumventing "the system" by owning a small piece of it was the best decision I've ever made.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 4:07 am

OP:

Do you have ADA accommodations at your work? Was that the contract everybody signed?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

30 Dec 2011, 1:04 am

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Work and finding a Job]

whiteofmouth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2011, 5:28 am

I live two lives: at night I live in Oakland as a crusty punky DIY kid. During the day I commute to work to Stanford-area Palo Alto at a hi-tech company as a software engineer. I'm the freak in the office as well as the 'young kid'--I don't have a college degree and I've had to quickly learn to socially stay afloat in this new and unfamiliar office-corporate workplace. But you're right, nobody is your friend and it's a dog-eat-dog world in this job market. If you're willing to take a paycheck from these people, I think it's a personal responsibility to know what you're getting into... the neural dissonance i experience day-to-day is incredible and I despise the meaningless surface conversation, lack of morals and common concern that is produced from this environment. But it's comfortable when I finally get home and at the end of the day I feel mentally challenged. Otherwise, I go back to being a barista for yet another megacorp or maybe not, but either way I'd be depriving my brain of stimulation. Planning an escape...