Does anyone still use the word asperger/aspie?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2006, 1:37 pm

I'm sorry, I should have made it clear - ASD is Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2006, 7:42 pm

Today. I had another talk with my father. I never told him I was autistic, etc.... He STILL thinks my lack of social life is a lifestyle choice, and that my lack of social ability must merely be LEARNED. Anyway, this was the second time in as many months that he referred to autism. He used it to speak of a "Possibly autistic, maybe ret*d" person who bowled a 300 game. Ironically, he said before and after that I could do well at anything I was interested in, but he was trying to convince me to go for something NEW to solve my social problems!

I am STILL wondering if I should tell him I have AS, and what he'll say. My mother was slow to realize it, and the fire alar incident last year and the fact that I have said "My senses are SKEWED" for DECADES cinched it. My father can only see my knowledge, social life, and interests, and they have been explained away by all sorts of things.

If I told him I was autistic, he would be at a loss. At least aspie or asperger is more definitive.

I've EVEN been toying with the idea of pointing my father to the wikipedia reference on Aspergers.

Steve

MelancholyBunny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 3:17 pm

Just like to point out that acronyms; while annoying if you don't know the meaning, or if they have several meanings; are easier to type, and to spell. Which makes a difference to someone who likes big words, hates spelling errors, and is to impatient to proofread everything.