Are/were you ever mistaken for the other gender?

Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Are/were you ever mistaken for the other gender?
Yes, but I didn't/don't want to be 49%  49%  [ 33 ]
Yes, I deliberately idenfity as the opposite gender 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 67

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 6:05 pm

Nah, it's never happened to me.

You will reap what you've sown.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 6:23 pm

I've been mistaken as male at least a couple of times when I was a teenager. Once it was by some random woman in the mall and another time by a man in a gay bar.

The funny thing is I was dressed feminine both times and was wearing a short skirt and even had cleavage showing at the gay bar.

Now that I dress in clothes that are more loose and gender neutral no one ever mistakes me for male and now I'd be ok with it.

Miharu
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2012, 4:28 pm

USMCnBNSFdude wrote:
AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
I think some well-known actresses have deeper than average voices which is viewed as appealing.

Like Cher?

As a kid the first time i saw a music video of Cher on tv, i seriously couldn't tell if she was a guy dressed up as a woman, or a woman.
I've never felt that confused. Even when my parents told me she's a woman, i still wasn't sure. :lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jan 2012, 4:30 pm

Miharu wrote:
USMCnBNSFdude wrote:
I think some well-known actresses have deeper than average voices which is viewed as appealing.

Like Cher?

As a kid the first time i saw a music video of Cher on tv, i seriously couldn't tell if she was a guy dressed up as a woman, or a woman.
I've never felt that confused. Even when my parents told me she's a woman, i still wasn't sure. :lol:

Same here. I think some of the guys in those 80s metal bands looked more like a woman than her

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 5:59 pm

nick007 wrote:
Miharu wrote:
USMCnBNSFdude wrote:

Like Cher?

Same here. I think some of the guys in those 80s metal bands looked more like a woman than her

Ha, and they were usually homophobic.

pinkkatie
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2012, 10:47 pm

Yes, mostly before puberty, but once in a while, I still get mistaken. I wear my hair short because long hair drives me nuts. I like it cut over my ears. I do wear earrings though and I love pink, so I don't know why people still confuse me.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 12:49 am

No, but when I was 9, I mistook an adult man with long hair for a women. We were watching a video he was in and I wanted to know the names of the members so I asked my dad "What's the girl's name?". He told me that there was no girl in the video. I was confused because I thought that girls HAD to have long hair and that boys HAD to have short hair. The man didn't look ANYTHING like a girl in any other way though. I guess I just determined someone's gender by their hair length.

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2012, 8:17 am

No. I don't have a lot of curves or anything like that, but people could always tell I am a female.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 1:05 pm

From age 7 up to 18 people mistook me for a male all the time. I always thought it was rather strange, because I didn't think I looked male at all, at least not for the first few years. When I was a teenager I did look somewhat gender neutral, although I always had long hair (which was never popular among guys at the time).

Around age 18 people mostly stopped mistaking me for a guy in real life, but online people still always assume I'm male if I don't mention my gender.

I never felt insulted about being mistaken for the opposite gender. I just found it funny and in a way it was nice, because I liked the way people treated me when they thought I was male (believe me, there's a huge difference in how the genders get treated). I've never fitted into typical female stereotypes and have always related better with guy stuff. I hate the stupid assumptions people make about females.

At the time people kept mistaking my gender I wasn't doing anything deliberately to confuse them. I was just being myself.

I do think of myself as male or gender neutral even though I'm biologically female.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 8:03 pm

Because my voice is high-pitched, some people have thought I was female on the phone.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

02 Feb 2012, 8:14 pm

When I was in kindergarten, I had really short hair that made me look like a boy. The fact that I liked to climb on top of the monkey bars, stand on them, and hang upside-down didn't help either.

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 1:45 pm

I just got mistaken for a guy 10 mins ago cycling on my bike with my hood up :(

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 1:53 pm

When I was on holiday once back in the days I had sh***y long hair, there was a dutch family sitting at the table next to us at the restaurant we were eating and the little kid asked her mom "mommy, is that a girl or a boy at the other table next to us?", "that's a boy" she answered. FML