Aspies have low empathy - true or false?

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2009
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,018

30 Dec 2011, 1:27 pm

seekingtruth wrote:
Nice to hear I'm not completely alone in this. It's been scary and lonely thinking I'm so 'odd' this way. Odd in the real world and then again feeling odd in this forum as I don't have the math type connections that other's have.

I see where 'people puzzle' skills are very helpful in the real world, but it seems rare so I've so often wondered what the hell is wrong with me. It's made me at times want to just completely stay away from people because it's so clear that my thought process is so different and I feel so unrelatable.

Yep, very easy to manipulate, which is pretty much what I did as a child, was always teacher's pet, they all loved me. But unfortunately I could 'fake it' so well, or I guess you could say one step ahead enough that I never got any help that I really could have used, you know?

Then as an adult I had mad selling skills because of my ability to manipulate. But then my spirituality kicked in, it was where I could 'fit in' and feel like I was 'at home' with my ease in the big picture world. And that's when I became a Buddhist - best thing that's ever happened to me. BUT now my ethics are heightened with my teaching and now I can't be in sales anymore because I feel all too clearly how wrong it is to manipulate, and trust me to be good in sales you have to manipulate. So tapping into ethics has destroyed my career ability.

I have absolutely no shyness and love to speak in groups, only class I liked in high school was speach class. So I'm sure I don't have social anxiety disorders, but because I know I am so 'out of the box' on how I relate and see peoples actions, it gets exhausting to 'pretend' to be on their more down to earth level and because of that I have to gear up to be in social situations. And then I crash and have several days where I have to be alone to 'regroup'. It's exhausting to slow it down and think superficaially, but to fit in I have to do it.


This is why I like to stay disconnected from my emotions (including, if not especially, ethics) in most respects - I want to be able to use the logical side of my brain, including the bit that understands and manipulates people, to their full potential to bring me as much benefit as is possible.

I get what you mean with sales, too. I did some sales once and turned out to be surprisingly good at it because of my natural manipulation skills. I was very proud of myself. Then I manipulated the other people in the business I sold for and got more than my fair share of the profit :twisted:

Basically I just stay on the right side of the law, because I know I'll be punished if I don't, but screw morals because they get in the way :P

Unlike you, I am usually shy, but I have been coming out of my shell quite a lot within the past year or so, which I'm happy about. I still have no real desire to become "cool" or part of a bigger social group, though.



seekingtruth
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 118

30 Dec 2011, 1:44 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
seekingtruth wrote:
Nice to hear I'm not completely alone in this. It's been scary and lonely thinking I'm so 'odd' this way. Odd in the real world and then again feeling odd in this forum as I don't have the math type connections that other's have.

I see where 'people puzzle' skills are very helpful in the real world, but it seems rare so I've so often wondered what the hell is wrong with me. It's made me at times want to just completely stay away from people because it's so clear that my thought process is so different and I feel so unrelatable.

Yep, very easy to manipulate, which is pretty much what I did as a child, was always teacher's pet, they all loved me. But unfortunately I could 'fake it' so well, or I guess you could say one step ahead enough that I never got any help that I really could have used, you know?

Then as an adult I had mad selling skills because of my ability to manipulate. But then my spirituality kicked in, it was where I could 'fit in' and feel like I was 'at home' with my ease in the big picture world. And that's when I became a Buddhist - best thing that's ever happened to me. BUT now my ethics are heightened with my teaching and now I can't be in sales anymore because I feel all too clearly how wrong it is to manipulate, and trust me to be good in sales you have to manipulate. So tapping into ethics has destroyed my career ability.

I have absolutely no shyness and love to speak in groups, only class I liked in high school was speach class. So I'm sure I don't have social anxiety disorders, but because I know I am so 'out of the box' on how I relate and see peoples actions, it gets exhausting to 'pretend' to be on their more down to earth level and because of that I have to gear up to be in social situations. And then I crash and have several days where I have to be alone to 'regroup'. It's exhausting to slow it down and think superficaially, but to fit in I have to do it.


This is why I like to stay disconnected from my emotions (including, if not especially, ethics) in most respects - I want to be able to use the logical side of my brain, including the bit that understands and manipulates people, to their full potential to bring me as much benefit as is possible.

I get what you mean with sales, too. I did some sales once and turned out to be surprisingly good at it because of my natural manipulation skills. I was very proud of myself. Then I manipulated the other people in the business I sold for and got more than my fair share of the profit :twisted:

Basically I just stay on the right side of the law, because I know I'll be punished if I don't, but screw morals because they get in the way :P

Unlike you, I am usually shy, but I have been coming out of my shell quite a lot within the past year or so, which I'm happy about. I still have no real desire to become "cool" or part of a bigger social group, though.


Yeah, I have zero desire to be like anyone else, won't wear 'label' clothes if it's obvious etc. because I 'refuse' to be manipulated by the industries, lol. Like I know the ins and outs of manipulation so easily that I'm not going to be manipulated myself. I'm pretty stubborn with this, lol.

But to get along with others, I've learned to hide a lot of this part of me. So I'm not trying to be like everyone else, just want to be able to flow through life with others. I'm very interested in how others walk through their lives, it's that puzzle again, fun to be in the mix of it, so I've learned how to appear like minded to a certain degree so that I can be there in the juiciness of peoples actions and motivations, it's like a experiment for me. I enjoy hearing people's life stories and then I watch my mind see their past, present and future. It's fun but I don't let on that I'm doing that as it freaks people out.

My husband however, sounds just like you. He's all about - forget ethics, get what you can and move on. He's actually quite upset with me that I refuse to sell anymore, his words "You're a gold mine that I can't tap into and it pisses me off!"

But i'm happier this way, the big picture is more comforting to me, soothing, not so exhausting so it's where I prefer to 'hang out'.

I think I'm not naturally shy because I can see people on a bigger scale then what the situation at hand is, when I can see their past, present, future instantly I think it really takes out the fear of the unknown and therefore there is no need to be shy.


_________________
Looks like I'm most likely and Aspie myself, must be why I can understand my beautiful Aspie son so well.
Your Aspie score: 168 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie


Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2009
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,018

30 Dec 2011, 1:56 pm

seekingtruth wrote:
Yeah, I have zero desire to be like anyone else, won't wear 'label' clothes if it's obvious etc. because I 'refuse' to be manipulated by the industries, lol. Like I know the ins and outs of manipulation so easily that I'm not going to be manipulated myself. I'm pretty stubborn with this, lol.

But to get along with others, I've learned to hide a lot of this part of me. So I'm not trying to be like everyone else, just want to be able to flow through life with others. I'm very interested in how others walk through their lives, it's that puzzle again, fun to be in the mix of it, so I've learned how to appear like minded to a certain degree so that I can be there in the juiciness of peoples actions and motivations, it's like a experiment for me. I enjoy hearing people's life stories and then I watch my mind see their past, present and future. It's fun but I don't let on that I'm doing that as it freaks people out.

My husband however, sounds just like you. He's all about - forget ethics, get what you can and move on. He's actually quite upset with me that I refuse to sell anymore, his words "You're a gold mine that I can't tap into and it pisses me off!"

But i'm happier this way, the big picture is more comforting to me, soothing, not so exhausting so it's where I prefer to 'hang out'.

I think I'm not naturally shy because I can see people on a bigger scale then what the situation at hand is, when I can see their past, present, future instantly I think it really takes out the fear of the unknown and therefore there is no need to be shy.


I'm a bit like this too, I guess. I don't conform but I flow. I like that way of thinking. And you can't manipulate if people don't think you fit in with them on some level anyway :P

The thing about learning lots about peoples' lives reminds me of my girlfriend. She's not on the spectrum (officially, anyway) but she's far too weird (in a very good way) to be NT, I'm sure. But yeah, she does the same thing, and she loves learning all about people :)

Your husband and I would probably get along... Or try hard to get as much money off each other as we can... Either way :P

Taking the fear out of the unknown is an interesting way to combat shyness, but it does makes sense. Humans are usually scared of the unknown - it's an evolutionary instinct - so getting to know the thing you're scared of - an old method of defeating phobias, too - may very well be what happened to me too.



TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,039

30 Dec 2011, 1:56 pm

seekingtruth wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
seekingtruth wrote:
Nice to hear I'm not completely alone in this. It's been scary and lonely thinking I'm so 'odd' this way. Odd in the real world and then again feeling odd in this forum as I don't have the math type connections that other's have.

I see where 'people puzzle' skills are very helpful in the real world, but it seems rare so I've so often wondered what the hell is wrong with me. It's made me at times want to just completely stay away from people because it's so clear that my thought process is so different and I feel so unrelatable.

Yep, very easy to manipulate, which is pretty much what I did as a child, was always teacher's pet, they all loved me. But unfortunately I could 'fake it' so well, or I guess you could say one step ahead enough that I never got any help that I really could have used, you know?

Then as an adult I had mad selling skills because of my ability to manipulate. But then my spirituality kicked in, it was where I could 'fit in' and feel like I was 'at home' with my ease in the big picture world. And that's when I became a Buddhist - best thing that's ever happened to me. BUT now my ethics are heightened with my teaching and now I can't be in sales anymore because I feel all too clearly how wrong it is to manipulate, and trust me to be good in sales you have to manipulate. So tapping into ethics has destroyed my career ability.

I have absolutely no shyness and love to speak in groups, only class I liked in high school was speach class. So I'm sure I don't have social anxiety disorders, but because I know I am so 'out of the box' on how I relate and see peoples actions, it gets exhausting to 'pretend' to be on their more down to earth level and because of that I have to gear up to be in social situations. And then I crash and have several days where I have to be alone to 'regroup'. It's exhausting to slow it down and think superficaially, but to fit in I have to do it.


This is why I like to stay disconnected from my emotions (including, if not especially, ethics) in most respects - I want to be able to use the logical side of my brain, including the bit that understands and manipulates people, to their full potential to bring me as much benefit as is possible.

I get what you mean with sales, too. I did some sales once and turned out to be surprisingly good at it because of my natural manipulation skills. I was very proud of myself. Then I manipulated the other people in the business I sold for and got more than my fair share of the profit :twisted:

Basically I just stay on the right side of the law, because I know I'll be punished if I don't, but screw morals because they get in the way :P

Unlike you, I am usually shy, but I have been coming out of my shell quite a lot within the past year or so, which I'm happy about. I still have no real desire to become "cool" or part of a bigger social group, though.


Yeah, I have zero desire to be like anyone else, won't wear 'label' clothes if it's obvious etc. because I 'refuse' to be manipulated by the industries, lol. Like I know the ins and outs of manipulation so easily that I'm not going to be manipulated myself. I'm pretty stubborn with this, lol.

But to get along with others, I've learned to hide a lot of this part of me. So I'm not trying to be like everyone else, just want to be able to flow through life with others. I'm very interested in how others walk through their lives, it's that puzzle again, fun to be in the mix of it, so I've learned how to appear like minded to a certain degree so that I can be there in the juiciness of peoples actions and motivations, it's like a experiment for me. I enjoy hearing people's life stories and then I watch my mind see their past, present and future. It's fun but I don't let on that I'm doing that as it freaks people out.

My husband however, sounds just like you. He's all about - forget ethics, get what you can and move on. He's actually quite upset with me that I refuse to sell anymore, his words "You're a gold mine that I can't tap into and it pisses me off!"

But i'm happier this way, the big picture is more comforting to me, soothing, not so exhausting so it's where I prefer to 'hang out'.

I think I'm not naturally shy because I can see people on a bigger scale then what the situation at hand is, when I can see their past, present, future instantly I think it really takes out the fear of the unknown and therefore there is no need to be shy.


Interesting.

May i ask, what subject do you teach?

TheSunAlsoRises



seekingtruth
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 118

30 Dec 2011, 2:31 pm

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
seekingtruth wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
seekingtruth wrote:
Nice to hear I'm not completely alone in this. It's been scary and lonely thinking I'm so 'odd' this way. Odd in the real world and then again feeling odd in this forum as I don't have the math type connections that other's have.

I see where 'people puzzle' skills are very helpful in the real world, but it seems rare so I've so often wondered what the hell is wrong with me. It's made me at times want to just completely stay away from people because it's so clear that my thought process is so different and I feel so unrelatable.

Yep, very easy to manipulate, which is pretty much what I did as a child, was always teacher's pet, they all loved me. But unfortunately I could 'fake it' so well, or I guess you could say one step ahead enough that I never got any help that I really could have used, you know?

Then as an adult I had mad selling skills because of my ability to manipulate. But then my spirituality kicked in, it was where I could 'fit in' and feel like I was 'at home' with my ease in the big picture world. And that's when I became a Buddhist - best thing that's ever happened to me. BUT now my ethics are heightened with my teaching and now I can't be in sales anymore because I feel all too clearly how wrong it is to manipulate, and trust me to be good in sales you have to manipulate. So tapping into ethics has destroyed my career ability.

I have absolutely no shyness and love to speak in groups, only class I liked in high school was speach class. So I'm sure I don't have social anxiety disorders, but because I know I am so 'out of the box' on how I relate and see peoples actions, it gets exhausting to 'pretend' to be on their more down to earth level and because of that I have to gear up to be in social situations. And then I crash and have several days where I have to be alone to 'regroup'. It's exhausting to slow it down and think superficaially, but to fit in I have to do it.


This is why I like to stay disconnected from my emotions (including, if not especially, ethics) in most respects - I want to be able to use the logical side of my brain, including the bit that understands and manipulates people, to their full potential to bring me as much benefit as is possible.

I get what you mean with sales, too. I did some sales once and turned out to be surprisingly good at it because of my natural manipulation skills. I was very proud of myself. Then I manipulated the other people in the business I sold for and got more than my fair share of the profit :twisted:

Basically I just stay on the right side of the law, because I know I'll be punished if I don't, but screw morals because they get in the way :P

Unlike you, I am usually shy, but I have been coming out of my shell quite a lot within the past year or so, which I'm happy about. I still have no real desire to become "cool" or part of a bigger social group, though.


Yeah, I have zero desire to be like anyone else, won't wear 'label' clothes if it's obvious etc. because I 'refuse' to be manipulated by the industries, lol. Like I know the ins and outs of manipulation so easily that I'm not going to be manipulated myself. I'm pretty stubborn with this, lol.

But to get along with others, I've learned to hide a lot of this part of me. So I'm not trying to be like everyone else, just want to be able to flow through life with others. I'm very interested in how others walk through their lives, it's that puzzle again, fun to be in the mix of it, so I've learned how to appear like minded to a certain degree so that I can be there in the juiciness of peoples actions and motivations, it's like a experiment for me. I enjoy hearing people's life stories and then I watch my mind see their past, present and future. It's fun but I don't let on that I'm doing that as it freaks people out.

My husband however, sounds just like you. He's all about - forget ethics, get what you can and move on. He's actually quite upset with me that I refuse to sell anymore, his words "You're a gold mine that I can't tap into and it pisses me off!"

But i'm happier this way, the big picture is more comforting to me, soothing, not so exhausting so it's where I prefer to 'hang out'.

I think I'm not naturally shy because I can see people on a bigger scale then what the situation at hand is, when I can see their past, present, future instantly I think it really takes out the fear of the unknown and therefore there is no need to be shy.


Interesting.

May i ask, what subject do you teach?

TheSunAlsoRises


Oh, i'm not a teacher. I've actually totally stepped out of the career world.

I'm a student of Buddhism and meditation. I study at home and with a Sangha. Home daily, Sangha about 3 times a week.

Someday however, I'd love to be a teacher of the Dharma. I have many friends who are also on the path that come to me for Dharma clarafication when they are stuck on something and they say I'm a natural at understanding and teaching it, so maybe I can achieve that possibility.

But for now, I 'teach' my 6 year old aspie son mindfulness and mediation and some yoga that calms him. And I help my friends who also have children on the spectrum that have seen the changes in my son and now want that for their children, so I teach them how to help their children.

Other then that, my husband and I are landlords (he's also an engineer -very detailed person). So Asp-z will get a chuckle out of that, I think those two would get along very well. And believe me it's an interesting blend the two of us landlording together, husband is all about the books and the investment and I'm all about ethics, so basically the tenants are very happy I'm in the picture,lol.


_________________
Looks like I'm most likely and Aspie myself, must be why I can understand my beautiful Aspie son so well.
Your Aspie score: 168 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie


goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 785
Location: Interplanetary

30 Dec 2011, 2:39 pm

I think I have emotional empathy, but I have difficulty expressing it socially in an acceptable manner.

I don't just hear the news; I often feel it too - and it's been quite depressing. I can't stand social injustice.


I can't tolerate to see anyone in pain, but especially animals in pain is the worst for me. If I see an animal on the side of the road, that image will haunt me for a very long time.

But I lack empathy at times too - I sometimes don't feel anything when I probably should. I've been told I'm selfish. I certainly don't mean to be selfish. Maybe I ignore my feelings sometimes to protect myself because I'm too sensitive?

Sorry for rambling and if I'm not making sense. I tend to be a dichotomy of myself....extreme on both sides, not enough in the middle.



puff
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 40

30 Dec 2011, 2:47 pm

seekingtruth wrote:
Nice to hear I'm not completely alone in this. It's been scary and lonely thinking I'm so 'odd' this way. Odd in the real world and then again feeling odd in this forum as I don't have the math type connections that other's have.

I see where 'people puzzle' skills are very helpful in the real world, but it seems rare so I've so often wondered what the hell is wrong with me. It's made me at times want to just completely stay away from people because it's so clear that my thought process is so different and I feel so unrelatable.

Yep, very easy to manipulate, which is pretty much what I did as a child, was always teacher's pet, they all loved me. But unfortunately I could 'fake it' so well, or I guess you could say one step ahead enough that I never got any help that I really could have used, you know?

Then as an adult I had mad selling skills because of my ability to manipulate. But then my spirituality kicked in, it was where I could 'fit in' and feel like I was 'at home' with my ease in the big picture world. And that's when I became a Buddhist - best thing that's ever happened to me. BUT now my ethics are heightened with my teaching and now I can't be in sales anymore because I feel all too clearly how wrong it is to manipulate, and trust me to be good in sales you have to manipulate. So tapping into ethics has destroyed my career ability.

I have absolutely no shyness and love to speak in groups, only class I liked in high school was speach class. So I'm sure I don't have social anxiety disorders, but because I know I am so 'out of the box' on how I relate and see peoples actions, it gets exhausting to 'pretend' to be on their more down to earth level and because of that I have to gear up to be in social situations. And then I crash and have several days where I have to be alone to 'regroup'. It's exhausting to slow it down and think superficaially, but to fit in I have to do it.


I'm a little freaked out. You just explained my life exactly. People puzzle skills, manipulation in school, good at sales, found myself in Buddhism, loved speech (and debate) class. I'm so good at acting that sometimes I believe it, but then I crash and it's obvious I was acting.

The other thing is that once I figured out how to manipulate situations, I got bored with it. I was only doing it to figure it out, as a puzzle. Once the puzzle was solved, I didn't find it interesting any longer.



seekingtruth
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 118

30 Dec 2011, 3:11 pm

puff wrote:
seekingtruth wrote:
Nice to hear I'm not completely alone in this. It's been scary and lonely thinking I'm so 'odd' this way. Odd in the real world and then again feeling odd in this forum as I don't have the math type connections that other's have.

I see where 'people puzzle' skills are very helpful in the real world, but it seems rare so I've so often wondered what the hell is wrong with me. It's made me at times want to just completely stay away from people because it's so clear that my thought process is so different and I feel so unrelatable.

Yep, very easy to manipulate, which is pretty much what I did as a child, was always teacher's pet, they all loved me. But unfortunately I could 'fake it' so well, or I guess you could say one step ahead enough that I never got any help that I really could have used, you know?

Then as an adult I had mad selling skills because of my ability to manipulate. But then my spirituality kicked in, it was where I could 'fit in' and feel like I was 'at home' with my ease in the big picture world. And that's when I became a Buddhist - best thing that's ever happened to me. BUT now my ethics are heightened with my teaching and now I can't be in sales anymore because I feel all too clearly how wrong it is to manipulate, and trust me to be good in sales you have to manipulate. So tapping into ethics has destroyed my career ability.

I have absolutely no shyness and love to speak in groups, only class I liked in high school was speach class. So I'm sure I don't have social anxiety disorders, but because I know I am so 'out of the box' on how I relate and see peoples actions, it gets exhausting to 'pretend' to be on their more down to earth level and because of that I have to gear up to be in social situations. And then I crash and have several days where I have to be alone to 'regroup'. It's exhausting to slow it down and think superficaially, but to fit in I have to do it.


I'm a little freaked out. You just explained my life exactly. People puzzle skills, manipulation in school, good at sales, found myself in Buddhism, loved speech (and debate) class. I'm so good at acting that sometimes I believe it, but then I crash and it's obvious I was acting.

The other thing is that once I figured out how to manipulate situations, I got bored with it. I was only doing it to figure it out, as a puzzle. Once the puzzle was solved, I didn't find it interesting any longer.


OMG Same! I do that too, get bored and drop it. Used to be into crafts, then the been there done that feeling and now I can't stand crafts. Often will get way into something, figure it out and not finish it completely because the 'mystery of it' is done so no point in continuing.

Luckily that's not the case with Buddhism for me, the thrill keeps going, but it's so soothing and I need that in my life. The other things were more like adrenaline rushes and when it wore of, no longer an interest, the Buddhism isn't an adrenaline rush, so I think it's the one thing in my life that won't be a phase.......... been 7 years now.

I've always thought I would have been good at acting, my school didn't offer it so I never got to try it out. But you should see my 6 year old, he's an amazing natural! He does a great birth to death cycle (he's being raised Buddhist, so reincarnation is natural for him to think about) and when he's doing this his whole body is fully into it, when he does his old man stage I swear it's oscar worthy.


_________________
Looks like I'm most likely and Aspie myself, must be why I can understand my beautiful Aspie son so well.
Your Aspie score: 168 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie


puff
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 40

30 Dec 2011, 3:43 pm

seekingtruth wrote:
OMG Same! I do that too, get bored and drop it. Used to be into crafts, then the been there done that feeling and now I can't stand crafts. Often will get way into something, figure it out and not finish it completely because the 'mystery of it' is done so no point in continuing.

Luckily that's not the case with Buddhism for me, the thrill keeps going, but it's so soothing and I need that in my life. The other things were more like adrenaline rushes and when it wore of, no longer an interest, the Buddhism isn't an adrenaline rush, so I think it's the one thing in my life that won't be a phase.......... been 7 years now.

I've always thought I would have been good at acting, my school didn't offer it so I never got to try it out. But you should see my 6 year old, he's an amazing natural! He does a great birth to death cycle (he's being raised Buddhist, so reincarnation is natural for him to think about) and when he's doing this his whole body is fully into it, when he does his old man stage I swear it's oscar worthy.


haha, yes, things only hold a power over me until I understand the mystery. I feel like my life has been a bunch of half finished projects that are only complete in my head. I sent you a PM on Buddhism. I never thought about why it's different (adrenaline vs sustaining power) but that's definitely the case. I can just feel at peace in the unknowing with Buddhism, while being intrigued by every moment.

Haha, your son sounds great. He must be perceptive to do a good old man at that age!



finallyFoundOutWhy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 27 Dec 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 51

04 Jan 2012, 5:41 pm

when i told my sister i had been diagnosed with Asperger's, one of her first reactions was that I couldn't have it because i was "overly sensitive to the emotions of others"

i am highly sensitive and empathetic

i just can't read people worth a s**t - that would be that non-verbal learning disorder thing, i guess, hey?

and i really can't tell if people are lying to my face

but i can watch someone from across the room and read them like a book

but can't tell face to face...

i'm told it probably has to do with the incongruence of my expression reading and people's words - and since i am aspie literal the words override my non-verbal analysis in a face to face encounter

----

non-verbal learning disorder, asperger's, tourette's are all on the autism spectrum - all of which i have been diagnosed with

mild tourette's can affect as clearing throat, blinking, stuttering

(to be completely accurate, i have been officially diagnosed with asperger's and NVLD. when i reviewed the symptoms for tourette's [after reading some asperger's/autism literature] and called my psychologist/testing dude to get tested he told me that if i met the diagnostic criteria for it, and given his interactions with me over the months of testing, and given i exhibit the mildest of symptoms, to accept that yes, i probably have tourette's, and should accept that i have it, but that it didn't really matter with the other 2 diagnoses and that i shouldn't waste my money getting him to test more...)


_________________
"Your Aspie score: 172 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 51 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie"
Diagnosed 2010 at age 45
Asperger's and NVLD


MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,647
Location: either here or there

04 Jan 2012, 11:22 pm

In my case, yes.


_________________
Every time you spell "meerkat" with a C, a baby meerkat cries. Please think of the meerkats.


timewaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2012
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 79

04 Jan 2012, 11:47 pm

I think so but in my defence, i can't understand them because they dont think like me. I'm sure if i knew a load of aspies i'd probably find a few that i could really relate to and with those people i'd probably feel a lot of empathy .



marshall
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,752
Location: Turkey

04 Jan 2012, 11:55 pm

I have strong sympathetic/affective empathy and I've been told I actually read people quite well, if I learn to trust my first impression. The cognitive and emotional part isn't an issue for me. My problem is not knowing how to act on the information I have. I also get caught up in my head following whatever thought/tangent interests me the most, as opposed to immediately engaging people I'm with, hence the monologue.



Diamorphine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 97

05 Jan 2012, 12:06 am

It's true for some people with AS. Not me though, I'm basically the best shoulder to cry on you'll ever have. I love helping people out with their problems.



artrat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,269
Location: The Butthole of the American Empire

05 Jan 2012, 12:47 am

I have too much empathy and it causes me to feel depressed.

When someone's feelings or are hurt than I feel depressed. It does not matter if they are family or a complete stranger.
I know that when my feelings are hut that it depresses me and it is the same for all other people on earth.

I have even felt empathy for junkies and prisoners working on the side of the road. It depresses me to see them hurt.
I know that the junkie is destroying themselves and it hurts me deeply to see that.

Sometimes I cant recognize people's facial expressions and I don't know how to show the correct emotions when feeling empathy.
It is empathy since the emotions are there.


_________________
?During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act" ~George Orwell

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright


Last edited by artrat on 05 Jan 2012, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 104,200
Location: Canada in person, Germany in spirit

05 Jan 2012, 2:05 am

I have a lot of empathy for people that I can relate to, whether they're family or not.

I have low empathy for people who treated me wrong when I was younger, whether they're family or not.


_________________
Peabody

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645