Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 3:09 am

This could be considered art or writing depending on how you look at it, so it's going here.

I'm working on a science-fantasy web series right now that has two (possibly three) fictional languages used in a few places throughout it. One is Nashi, the native language of the Valichnasch; a race somewhere between demons and dark elves. Their language is based on the sounds and syllabic structure of Hebrew, Russian and German. The other is Aelic, the native language of the Anumael; a race somewhat akin to angels or high elves. Their language is based on the sounds and syllabic structure of Gaelic, Romani and French. The third language I'm working on for the series is Hronic; the ancient universal language of magic, both extremely precise and extremely descriptive. I'm not sure which languages I'm going to base it on, but I'm thinking of using some more unique, distinctive languages for it.

Doe anyone else here have an interest in creating languages for their stories or other projects? If so, what are you using it for and what language(s) are you basing it off of?

lardycake
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2011, 7:15 am

If you want to go the easy route, you can base a language off the principles used by Japanese Katakana. They are used to represent foreign words in Japanese, and are basically pronounced as English, just using their characters. Some films and anime have done this for alien languages.

For example, the Japanese for computer is コンピューター

コ = ko
ン = n
ピュー = puu
ター = taa

konpuutaa

:D

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 3:06 pm

lardycake wrote:
If you want to go the easy route, you can base a language off the principles used by Japanese Katakana.

I took a year of Japanese back in high school, so I'm familiar with Katakana. Spoken Japanese is very easy to recognize, though, and basing a language off of it would be rather obvious, due to its limited and repetitive syllabic structure.