Does anyone else notice this about NTs?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 2:11 am

they seem to have a short(er) memory.. i seem to remember things my NT friends forget

its pretty crappy since it makes me feel bad/angry/annoyed when they don't remember something i remember

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 2:32 am

Definately, but I've noticed a lot have perfect memory with things I can't remember even if I try, with every gain comes a loss, every loss a gain.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Oct 2006, 3:33 am

Sometimes when NT's say "I don't remember" they mean "That's embarrassing, let's change the subject." Or if you apologize for something and they say "I don't remember", they mean "Forget about it" as in 'apology accepted.'

I only mention it because it took me a very long time to learn that one.

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 4:00 am

Claradoon wrote:
Sometimes when NT's say "I don't remember" they mean "That's embarrassing, let's change the subject." Or if you apologize for something and they say "I don't remember", they mean "Forget about it" as in 'apology accepted.'

yea i know the forget about it, i take 'i don't remember' too literally to know if they mean it in that way or if they really don't remember :?

but yeah, its nice to know i'm not the only one :wink:

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Oct 2006, 5:22 am

I know, me too. They say they don't remember, so I tell them all about it. And they still don't remember so I tell them more about it. And on and on. And then later I feel like a jerk when I realize they were trying to change the subject.

On the one hand, why don't they say what they mean. On the other, I feel bad if they were embarrassed or got hurt feelings.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 5:31 am

I don't think they have inferiour memory abilities. It is more a matter of what they decide to store or delete. People remember things that their brains decide are important enough to remember. So the real difference is in perception.

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 5:40 am

mikh07 wrote:
they seem to have a short(er) memory.. i seem to remember things my NT friends forget

its pretty crappy since it makes me feel bad/angry/annoyed when they don't remember something i remember

NT's I have noticed have better short term and worst long term memories than me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 6:06 am

I've noticed that. Especially when I bring up something about my past that's very positive, and than it turns out that I can't share it with my other family members, because either their memories suck, or they only want to point out the parts of my past, that I've seemed to be the most affected by my AS. I find it very frustrating. There's one thing for certian. Out of all of the members of my family, I'll be the least likely to develope Alziemer's Disease.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 7:42 am

Yes I have noticed with friends and with my sisters I can recall an event with great accuracy and clarity, and they're like "I don't remember that!". One friend can only recall past events if they were recorded in a photo. I'd say she has a lot of aspie traits oddly enough i.e obsessive interests, very high IQ, poor eye contact, list maker, rituals and well no memory for events! great memory for facts though.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 9:36 am

Adults tend to listen better, since listening is absolutely essential for anyone interested in finding a lifelong mate or getting a good job. I don't think IQ has to do with how well someone listens. Some people just get easily distracted--it is probably either the person's age or that they have some form of ADD that is the cause.

lol
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2006, 5:29 pm

I have a bad memory for stories. It's easy enough for me to remember who did what where, but not who said what when.

14 Oct 2006, 11:45 pm

People say they don't remember because they are embarrassed. I do that too. Sometimes I really don't remember lol. Don't you ever get embarrassed about something and you wish no one else remembers it and you deny you remember it because you don't even want to remember it so you pretend you don't.

Mike61290
Raven
Raven

15 Oct 2006, 12:16 am

I'm just like gonna comment on everything i see so ummm what calico said is definitely true if someone is embarassed they deny even having a glimmer of what you are talking about and what fresco said I have all of those traits except for poor eye contact (taught to look people in the eyes at a very young age by my mother) and what rebel said is also accurate normal people seem to only remember the worst or what makes you seem the most aspie, and with the memory thing, I can only think of a few people that can remember good times more than they can bad, why do so many NTs remember bad events instead of focusing on good ones? no wonder they fall into sorrow so often

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 7:41 pm

Claradoon wrote:

I never knew that before. Thanks for posting it!