Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2011, 8:18 pm

bumble wrote:
Dunnyveg wrote:
"When I went gluten free I started out just removing gluten from wheat but then found I was getting problems with corn as well so then I removed that. I also found that my stomach disliked too much dairy (altough I was ok with small amounts and bio yoghurt) so that was mostly taken out also. I basically ended up on a modified version of the paleo diet which was all meat, vegetables, fruit, starchy veg like potatoes or parsnips or butternut squash, rice (as that has never upset me) and with limited chocolate as a treat if I could find a gluten free bar. I lost weight on that too, but put it back on when I went back on wheat though (it doesn't half put weight on me..how I don't know because my food goes straight through me some days). "

Bumble, I read an interesting book recently that might shed some light on high carb versus low carb diets. People of northern European extraction have been farmers for about ten thousand years now--at least the Germanic peoples. People from this lineage do better on high carbohydrate diets, as for ten thousand years their diets were largely carb-based, with relatively little meat, though most of them did consume dairy products. This group is prone to cholesterol problems.

There is one exception: Those of us of Celtic extraction. Celts were actually herding people until relatively recently. Like hunter-gatherers, their diets tend to be very high in protein and relatively low in carbs, especially the simpler carbs. This group is prone to diabetes.

Of course, this isn't hard and fast. I'm of Scottish, English, and German extraction; I think a lot of us have mixed lineage now. But I think most of us lean one way or the other. If I had the patience for such things, I'd try a vegetarian diet versus a low-carb meat-based diet and see which one did me the most good.

Interesting! My mum was half Irish and half Welsh and had diabetes. What was the book called?

I did try a vegetarian diet once but I only managed to stay on it for a week or two. I was craving meat something chronic!

Here is the book:

http://www.amazon.com/000-Year-Explosio ... -1-catcorr

Only part of this book concerns diet. The thesis of the book is that rather than slowing down, evolution is proceeding at about a hundreds times the pace it ran at during pre-human times. In order for people to go from being low-carb hunter-gatherer or herding diets to high carb bread and cheese diets required a lot of genetic changes. Not everybody has these "new" genes.

It's actually the same with milk. Diary herding is about ten times more efficient than meat herding. Our distant ancestors developed a gene that allowed them to consume milk after childhood (something most people in the world can't do). In other words, the ability to consume dairy in adulthood is a great survival advantage.

It's a fascinating book, but it's not just about diet.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 8:26 pm

Dunnyveg wrote:
bumble wrote:
Dunnyveg wrote:
"When I went gluten free I started out just removing gluten from wheat but then found I was getting problems with corn as well so then I removed that. I also found that my stomach disliked too much dairy (altough I was ok with small amounts and bio yoghurt) so that was mostly taken out also. I basically ended up on a modified version of the paleo diet which was all meat, vegetables, fruit, starchy veg like potatoes or parsnips or butternut squash, rice (as that has never upset me) and with limited chocolate as a treat if I could find a gluten free bar. I lost weight on that too, but put it back on when I went back on wheat though (it doesn't half put weight on me..how I don't know because my food goes straight through me some days). "

Bumble, I read an interesting book recently that might shed some light on high carb versus low carb diets. People of northern European extraction have been farmers for about ten thousand years now--at least the Germanic peoples. People from this lineage do better on high carbohydrate diets, as for ten thousand years their diets were largely carb-based, with relatively little meat, though most of them did consume dairy products. This group is prone to cholesterol problems.

There is one exception: Those of us of Celtic extraction. Celts were actually herding people until relatively recently. Like hunter-gatherers, their diets tend to be very high in protein and relatively low in carbs, especially the simpler carbs. This group is prone to diabetes.

Of course, this isn't hard and fast. I'm of Scottish, English, and German extraction; I think a lot of us have mixed lineage now. But I think most of us lean one way or the other. If I had the patience for such things, I'd try a vegetarian diet versus a low-carb meat-based diet and see which one did me the most good.

Interesting! My mum was half Irish and half Welsh and had diabetes. What was the book called?

I did try a vegetarian diet once but I only managed to stay on it for a week or two. I was craving meat something chronic!

Here is the book:

Only part of this book concerns diet. The thesis of the book is that rather than slowing down, evolution is proceeding at about a hundreds times the pace it ran at during pre-human times. In order for people to go from being low-carb hunter-gatherer or herding diets to high carb bread and cheese diets required a lot of genetic changes. Not everybody has these "new" genes.

It's actually the same with milk. Diary herding is about ten times more efficient than meat herding. Our distant ancestors developed a gene that allowed them to consume milk after childhood (something most people in the world can't do). In other words, the ability to consume dairy in adulthood is a great survival advantage.

Thank you. The book will be of interest to me in many ways. One of my main prior interests was nutrition and the effect it has on us physically and mentally, hence why I was drawn to the Paleo diet at the time. My present interest is studying geology and evolution with a view to going on to study palaeontology. I will see if I can grab a copy from the library.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2011, 9:05 pm

bumble wrote:
Dunnyveg wrote:
bumble wrote:
Dunnyveg wrote:

Here is the book:

Thank you. The book will be of interest to me in many ways. One of my main prior interests was nutrition and the effect it has on us physically and mentally, hence why I was drawn to the Paleo diet at the time. My present interest is studying geology and evolution with a view to going on to study palaeontology. I will see if I can grab a copy from the library.

Not to get political, but one of the things that Marxism managed to do for many years was forbid the study of human biodiversity. For the Marxists, we are all identical except some of us came from better environments. Fortunately, the new evolutionary sciences are changing this silly superstition. They are fascinating.

Have a nice evening--or morning in your case!

stoneturtle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Dec 2011, 12:36 am

So you have a better idea where I'm coming from; I have autism and PTSD diagnosed, had a therapist say I have general anxiety also but she wasn't officially qualified to give me that diagnoses and I don't feel like dealing with more people to have yet another piece of paper saying I have something. I don't really have depression unless something bad happens, though my mother was diagnosed with it along with half the females in my family.

I switched my diet to a gluten-free/casein-free diet. I recently started to cut out anything high in lectins; No legumes(i.e. peas and beans) nor nightshades(i.e. tomatoes, potatoes and peppers). The only grain I eat at the moment is brown rice which I try to soak in water for a day then rinse well then boil for 30+ minutes then rinse well again, suppose to cut lectins down even more.

Cutting the gluten/casein helped with my sensory issues and got rid of my headaches/migraines so my anxiety isn't so bad because other things are not messing with me, also got rid of the sores I used to get on my skin that I thought was acne.

Cutting the lectins got rid of the 'callouses' that where around my joints(mostly my heels, my doctor thought I had a fungus and kept giving me anti-fungus cream). Joints don't throb anymore also so it helps keep my head a little clearer since I don't have that constant low pain anymore.

Cutting it all out helped with my skin no longer feeling itchy and the mucus in my lungs went down so my asthma/COPD is better now as well. Asthma attacks are one of my triggers for my PTSD so getting my asthma more under control helps a lot for my anxiety. No longer get heartburn or stomach ulcers anymore and was able to stop taking my stomach medication with no problems unless I accidentally break my diet.

Now for the only medication I'm on... cannabis. I know you can't get it in every state and people will argue with me do to misinformation, but it helps me greatly. I used to be against it use, even for medical reasons. At least until my doctor a few years ago put me on the highest dosage of steroids he was allowed to give me for my lungs which scared me. So I started researching for something else I could take without the side effects that steroids have. A few months later I found a doctor to get me on medical cannabis in my state and soon after I started vaporizing cannabis and cut out my steroids(steroid withdrawals are horrible by the way). I'll admit my lungs didn't feel as strong after the switch, however my lungs did feel more opened up and had to do less work. I have a lot less asthma attacks since I switched also. The steroids never really helped with my asthma, just made my lungs stronger. In the long run I think the cannabis is more effective, got rid of the issues instead of trying to compensate for it. If you include the diet change the steroids lose hands down.

Not long after I switched to cannabis I noticed that the cannabis was helping with my anxiety and helped me sleep. It's hard to explain what it does with my anxiety and autism. The easiest thing to say is I calm down; My stemming behavior isn't as bad and my anxiety feels like it's wrapped in a warm blanket and sleeping if that makes any sense. What I call my 'beast' aka rage issues are also 'asleep' Recently after researching cannabis as a treatment for autism I figured out eating cannabis works better for autism and anxiety. Eating cannabis makes it so my anxiety and rage is even more 'asleep' and the medication lasts longer with less mental fogginess. Vaporizing works better for my lungs so I tend to do a combination of the two. Thanks to the cannabis Christmas actually went okay this year for once.

Cannabis is suppose to help with depression also, but I normally don't have any issues with depression so I can't speak from personally experience. I have a friend who uses cannabis as a treatment for his bi-polar/depression though, he is horrible if he runs out of cannabis, so I'm assuming it works well for him.

Some suggestions if anyone takes me serious and gets on medical cannabis. Makes sure what you use is organic and soil grown. Stay away from hydroponics, preferably grow your own. Either eat it or use a vaporizer, smoking isn't the best for you. Take it slow, you need to get used to what dosage you need, you can't die from a cannabis overdose though, just don't plan on going anywhere the first few times. It can take your body a few weeks to adjust like any medication, but that seems to be a problem more with NTs, all the autistic people I know on cannabis seemed to do just fine adjusting.