Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 4:14 pm

Does anyone else here take any medications for things like associated anxiety and depression etc? If so what has been your experience? Have they helped?

I have been on anti depressants for years but they just seemed to make things worse in the most part. Some of them I had allergic type reactions to or was so sensitive to their side effects I could not tolerate them, some gave me such bad migraines I could not function (SSRI) or even talk properly (I sounded drunk) and the one I have been on the last 10 years has affected my moods so badly that I am presently trying to wean off them. This is not an easy task after being on them for so long...I tried stopping completely at one point but had such awful withdrawal including electric shock sensations that I had to go back on them. I went back to my original dose but got such bad mood swings (I was actually feeling high on them) that I halfed the dose and am taking that for the time being.

I no longer feel high but I am in a sort of no mans land at the moment between feeling horribly depressed some days and not so depressed on others but kind of restless (as though I don't know what I want to do with myself) at others. Heck, I cannot even decide what I want to eat, and I do want to eat because one of the side effects of my tablets is appetite stimulation (my appetite gets switched on and never switches off!). I hate that side effect as they are known to cause obesity and I have gained over 7 stones since being on them (I was not over weight before the tablets...I had no weight problems at all).

Whilst I am still getting some mood swings on the lower dose I do not want to go back to the higher dose as the mood swings were worse. I was either high, angry or in the depth of despair. I never knew what mood I was in my moods could change so quickly and it was rather annoying trying to keep up with this barrage of ever changing emotions. They do not even feel natural, they feel chemically induced and cannot be changed by changing how I think about something (which makes me feel they are not stemming from me but from the antidepressant).

They are not as severe as they were on the higher dose (more periods of mood stability than before) but I am still left in this 'I do not know what I want to do with myself and am restless but constantly hungry state" and I feel a little down at times (which is easier to manage than feeling like I am high as a kite). I never used to get highs before medication so i do wonder if they sometimes induced hypomania. I do not know whether to attempt to drop the dose again by halving it.

They also seem to be killing my cognitive functions! Brain fog from hell.

What has been your experience with medications?

Last edited by bumble on 30 Dec 2011, 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 4:17 pm

I'm taking Prozac, and it doesn't seem to be doing its job very well.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 4:23 pm

I've had good and bad with medication. For my depression/OCD I took Citalopram for many years. I had constant gut problems while I was on it meaning I had to take another medication to help with my stomach! It did help to some extent, but only for about a year then I had to go up a dose. The next time I needed to go up to 60mg it made my stomach so bad that I physically couldn't go up that high. As a result I was not well mentally.

This year I came off Citalopram because I had been on it nearly 8 years (I was told this wasn't good!). My body went through some kind of severe withdrawal and I was shaking, violent and seeing things. In order to stop this, I was given Fluoxetene (aka Prozac) but the Prozac actually helped so I stayed on it. I am still on it now. I don't have any obvious problems with Prozac except maybe the tiredness. I am not sure if that just comes at this time of year anyway though so I can't be certain it is a side effect.

The worst medications I have ever taken were both anti-psychotics. At the moment they are the only medication available for Tourettes and because mine is quite severe I wanted a break. I took Risperdal for about two weeks but I started hallucinating and hearing voices! As soon as I came off, I was fine. The psychiatrist decided, however, to re-attempt a few years later. Again I was psychotic, hallucinating and REALLY paranoid. Thankfully she got the message this time and when I came off I was fine. The other one I have taken is Aripiprazol. Thankfully it didn't make me get any mental side-effects, but I felt like a drugged up zombie. I was on it for two and a half weeks and I literally shuffled rather than walked, my eyes looked stoned (in photos) and I drooled! My neurologist wants to retry it in the new year but on a MUCH lower dose because the first neurologist put me on a dose that they would use for psychosis not TS!

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 4:27 pm

You should quit any SSRI just like that. Slowly lower the dose over a couple of months. That said I still had the jolts you describe when coming off them.

I have nothing good to say about Citalopram. Because of it I suffered terrible apathy (which made me even more depressed), sexual dysfunction (which made me even more depressed) and generally diminished mental capabilities. Withdrawal made me aggressive, caused me to have manic crying or laughing sessions, dizziness and those peculiar "brain jolts / electric shocks".

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Dec 2011, 4:39 pm

Oh yeah I have experience with meds! In graduate school, I started to really lose it (this was 2005) so the University Doctor put me on Klonopin for anxiety and Zoloft for axiety/depression.

Next was Paxil...then Effexor...then Citolopram plus ativan...then Zyprexa (an antipsychotic that caused me to gain 45 lbs in 6 weeks and it made me a zombie)...then Wellbutrin...and those are just for the anxiety.

For sleep during this same time period, I took Lunesta, Ambien, Trazadone, Amytripteline (sp?), Xanax, and Sonata. All were bad news for my day-time cognitive abilities...not to mention sleep walking, sleep eating, sleep drinking...hell I even woke up one morning to realize that I had shampooed all the carpets in my apartment the night before! (I didn't mind that one so much. :D )

Finally in late 2007, I went on Prozac (80mg/day) with ativan as-needed and that worked okay for a year and a half or so. Now I take nothing except for ativan when I am having a meltdown.

Overall I would have to say that the drugs kept me from killing myself because I was too doped up to even find a gun, much less pick it up, load it, and pull the trigger. That being said, I am doing much better now that I don't take them.

I exercise A LOT instead and that seems to work for me. And I don't eat wheat anymore...it makes me far more melt-down prone and tired. Another thing that has helped me is taking melatonin supplements at bedtime. My dreams are wild but I like them that way so I don't mind.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 4:42 pm

Oh yes, I forgot to add the freaky intense dreams and fatigue from the list of Citalopram side effects.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2011, 4:52 pm

bumble wrote:
Does anyone else here take any medications for things like associated anxiety and depression etc? If so what has been your experience? Have they helped?

I have been on anti depressants for years but they just seemed to make things worse in the most part. Some of them I had allergic type reactions to or was so sensitive to their side effects I could not tolerate them, some gave me such bad migraines I could not function (SSRI) or even talk properly (I sounded drunk) and the one I have been on the last 10 years has affected my moods so badly that I am presently trying to wean off them. This is not an easy task after being on them for so long...I tried stopping completely at one point but had such awful withdrawal including electric shock sensations that I had to go back on them. I went back to my original dose but got such bad mood swings (I was actually feeling high on them) that I halfed the dose and am taking that for the time being.

I no longer feel high but I am in a sort of no mans land at the moment between feeling horribly depressed some days and not so depressed on others but kind of restless (as though I don't know what I want to do with myself) at others. Heck, I cannot even decide what I want to eat, and I do want to eat because one of the side effects of my tablets is appetite stimulation (my appetite gets switched on and never switches off!). I hate that side effect as they are known to cause obesity and I have gained over 7 stones since being on them (I was not over weight before the tablets...I had no weight problems at all).

Whilst I am still getting some mood swings on the lower dose I do not want to go back to the higher dose as the mood swings were worse. I was either high, angry or in the depth of despair. I never knew what mood I was in my moods could change so quickly and it was rather annoying trying to keep up with this barrage of ever changing emotions. They do not even feel natural, they feel chemically induced and cannot be changed by changing how I think about something (which makes me feel they are not stemming from me but from the antidepressant).

They are not as severe as they were on the higher dose (more periods of mood stability than before) but I am still left in this 'I do not know what I want to do with myself and am restless but constantly hungry state" and I feel a little down at times (which is easier to manage than feeling like I am high as a kite). I never used to get highs before medication so i do wonder if they sometimes induced hypomania. I do not know whether to attempt to drop the dose again by halving it.

They also seem to be killing my cognitive functions! Brain fog from hell.

What has been your experience with medications?

The only real medicine I take is Valium, and then only irregularly--when I can anticipate being around crowds, or especially when I am expected to perform in a social situation. Since there are no psychiatrists within 120 miles of me, my regular doctor gives me twelve ten milligram Valium pills a month. I asked her to prescribe the maximum number of Valiums she could give me a month without developing tolerance or dependence. She did. One thing I do know is this stuff only works when you don't use it regularly, so I don't.

My doctor had me on Prozac, and it didn't seem to do much except make me drowsy all the time.

What really helps me the most is good-quality ginseng--I'm talking ten-year-old roots, not the stuff you buy in capsules or drinks at Walmart. It won't work miracles, but it does more for me than anything else I've tried. And it's actually very healthy. Ginseng is what the pharmacologists call an adaptogen, which means it helps your body try to achieve equilibrium during times of physical or mental stress. It also sharpens the mind.

There are two problems with it, the first being cost. I'm paying $225 a pound, though a pound will last me several months. The second is I can't take it in the evenings or I won't sleep. Otherwise, I can't say enough good things about it.

Last edited by Dunnyveg on 30 Dec 2011, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Dec 2011, 4:56 pm

Dunnyveg, does the ginseng also seem to help with blood-sugar regulation that you have noticed?

If my blood sugar is too low or too high, I am not able to deal with much of anything. So far, B-vitamins are the best thing I have found to help stabilize my blood sugar...othe than avoidng processed foods that is.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2011, 5:03 pm

ghostar wrote:
Dunnyveg, does the ginseng also seem to help with blood-sugar regulation that you have noticed?

If my blood sugar is too low or too high, I am not able to deal with much of anything. So far, B-vitamins are the best thing I have found to help stabilize my blood sugar...othe than avoidng processed foods that is.

Absolutely. I have a friend who has diabetes. He has gotten completely off his medications with it.

One thing it does for me, besides helping to stabilize my mood, is it helps me with my allergies. When they get really bad, they must do something to my blood sugar, as I get shaky. The ginseng makes me feel human again. It gives me natural-feeling energy.

I've got the impression you're Canadian. If so, "American" ginseng actually grows wild in southern Canada, as well as the upper US Midwest.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 5:03 pm

The mood swings and getting high from an antidepressant sounds bipolarish to me, but I don't know a lot about that.

I had a hell of a time finding an antidepressant that worked and that I could tolerate. I hate SSRI's. I'm on a tricyclic (Elavil) now, and while it does have stronger side-effects they are effects that I don't mind as much. The SSRI-induced apathy/zombification/restlessness and increased hyperacuasis was really horrible to me.

I also took Xanax for a number of years, but the truth is it only worked for about 1.5 years due to tolerance. Now, I use a transdermal magnesium supplement which works well, but I seem to have an unusually strong reaction to it. I probably have weird stuff going on with my brain (i.e. alcohol gives me insomnia, have pre-existing brain fog & cognitive loss, etc.), so I may not be a useful model/example about this stuff.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 5:04 pm

I've been prescribed Xanax for anxiety, Lexapro for OCD and Risperidone for bad/psychotic thoughts. I've been on all these medications since I was 14, and they have been like miracle drugs for me. They have made it possible to function without any noticeable side effects.

However, I'm beginning to think that Risperidone isn't working for me anymore, because my bad thoughts have come back and I have been experiencing hallucinations and pseudo-hallucinations with increasing frequency since mid-late summer. Additionally, when I first began to take Risperidone, it made me so drowsy that I took it at night so that it cured my insomnia. It used to only take me 30 to 45 minutes to fall asleep. Nowadays it takes me an hour and a half to 2 hours every night to fall asleep.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 5:06 pm

ghostar wrote:
Oh yeah I have experience with meds! In graduate school, I started to really lose it (this was 2005) so the University Doctor put me on Klonopin for anxiety and Zoloft for axiety/depression.

Next was Paxil...then Effexor...then Citolopram plus ativan...then Zyprexa (an antipsychotic that caused me to gain 45 lbs in 6 weeks and it made me a zombie)...then Wellbutrin...and those are just for the anxiety.

For sleep during this same time period, I took Lunesta, Ambien, Trazadone, Amytripteline (sp?), Xanax, and Sonata. All were bad news for my day-time cognitive abilities...not to mention sleep walking, sleep eating, sleep drinking...hell I even woke up one morning to realize that I had shampooed all the carpets in my apartment the night before! (I didn't mind that one so much. :D )

Finally in late 2007, I went on Prozac (80mg/day) with ativan as-needed and that worked okay for a year and a half or so. Now I take nothing except for ativan when I am having a meltdown.

Overall I would have to say that the drugs kept me from killing myself because I was too doped up to even find a gun, much less pick it up, load it, and pull the trigger. That being said, I am doing much better now that I don't take them.

I exercise A LOT instead and that seems to work for me. And I don't eat wheat anymore...it makes me far more melt-down prone and tired. Another thing that has helped me is taking melatonin supplements at bedtime. My dreams are wild but I like them that way so I don't mind.

I tried a gluten free diet for a while and am considering going back on it. Although I mostly went on it to reduce abdominal bloating and problems that I was getting I did find that I became much calmer without it. It did seem to impact my mood. The reason that I came off the gluten free diet was because I had some blood tests done at the drs to find out if there was a cause for the fatigue, diarrhoea and stomach upsets I was having problems with. One of the blood tests was for celiac disease (as I have a close family member who is diagnosed with it) but they all came back ok so I figured I must be fine with wheat. I have relatives with just about everything I think lol (there is diabetes, cancer, celiac disease, rheumatoid (sp?) arthritis, IBS, Depression, Anxiety, Dyslexia and so on lol)

Since being back on wheat the IBS they diagnosed me with is 10 times worse, my stomach is constantly bloated, my acid reflux is back and I just am not as calm as I was off the stuff. For that reason I was planning on eating up all the wheat products I have in and going back on a gluten free whole food diet (I take most processed foods out as well due to possible cross contamination).

I know I tested negative with the blood tests for celiac disease but my body still does not seem to like wheat! I have always had a bloated gut even before I got the IBS and being off wheat was the only time I have known that bloating to go down. Now its bloated constantly again :(

Jp896
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Dec 2011, 5:10 pm

I briefly took Zoloft for about six months, but quit because it was making me tired and I expirenced a decrease in motivation. Currently, I'm taking Selegiline ( a MAOI used to treat parkinsons) it's easily found on online pharmacies. Selegiline works somewhat at25mg, but I definitely need to increase the dosage.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 5:11 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I've been prescribed Xanax for anxiety, Lexapro for OCD and Risperidone for bad/psychotic thoughts. I've been on all these medications since I was 14, and they have been like miracle drugs for me. They have made it possible to function without any noticeable side effects.

However, I'm beginning to think that Risperidone isn't working for me anymore, because my bad thoughts have come back and I have been experiencing hallucinations and pseudo-hallucinations with increasing frequency since mid-late summer. Additionally, when I first began to take Risperidone, it made me so drowsy that I took it at night so that it cured my insomnia. It used to only take me 30 to 45 minutes to fall asleep. Nowadays it takes me an hour and a half to 2 hours every night to fall asleep.

What are pseudo-hallucinations?

whiteofmouth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2011, 5:13 pm

Not sure if this helps you, but of everything I've tried seems like a regimented dose of cannabis and ginseng tea have been the most reliable stabilizers for me. When my time was less tied, I used to ride bicycles competitively and that exercise helped a ton. Also, I stay way clear of caffeinated coffee.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2011, 5:26 pm

whiteofmouth wrote:
Not sure if this helps you, but of everything I've tried seems like a regimented dose of cannabis and ginseng tea have been the most reliable stabilizers for me. When my time was less tied, I used to ride bicycles competitively and that exercise helped a ton. Also, I stay way clear of caffeinated coffee.

I've never had ginseng tea. I buy sliced roots and eat them like they are hard candy; I just had a couple of slices. I've found the best roots are woods-grown American gingseng, though Korean is okay. Ginseng can be cultivated, and usually is. The problem is the roots start to deteriorate after about six years. Woods-grown ginseng is simulated wild ginseng, and the roots can get ten to twelve years old before they start to deteriorate. The older the roots, the more potent the ginseng, and the more expensive it is.

The one reason I'd want to live up north would be ginseng. It grows wild in the colder regions. The wild roots are almost priceless; they can get up to a hundred years old without deteriorating. I'd be out looking high and low for them:)