Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

30 Dec 2011, 6:12 pm

Did anyone else love to play this game when they were younger? I pulled out my Sega Saturn a few days ago, started playing this game again. The game has this wonderful, magical feeling to it. It's hard to explain, but playing NiGHTS makes me feel happy inside. The song that plays during the ending credits (Dreams, Dreams) is really good and sung by kids.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 7:55 pm

I have never played the original NiGHTS, but I have the Wii sequel and I like it. According to people who played the original, the Wii sequel sucks and ruined the series forever, but from what I have seen around Youtube, there is no difference between the two games.

marineaspiejohn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2011, 8:21 pm

nights was so magical

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

30 Dec 2011, 9:54 pm

Magnus_Rex wrote:
I have never played the original NiGHTS, but I have the Wii sequel and I like it. According to people who played the original, the Wii sequel sucks and ruined the series forever, but from what I have seen around Youtube, there is no difference between the two games.
Journey of Dreams didn't ruin the series, but it doesn't even come close to being as good as the original. It's alright. The only things similar to the original are the Chase Missions, character select theme (Gate of Your Dreams) the original NiGHTS soundtrack after beating Will's dreams, and the ability to play as Clairis and Elliot after you collect all of the dreamdrops. But JoD doesn't have that magical feel to it.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 12:37 am

It's hard for a sequel to capture the same magic an original game did. I have NiGHTS: Into Dreams and Christmas NiGHTS: Into Dreams imported and while Journey is a beautiful game I just don't get the same joy from it as I did from the original and the Christmas bonus.

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 1:34 am

My main issues with Journey Into Dreams were the unskippable cutscenes, the British nanny voice for NiGhTs(whatever happened to the whole androgyny thing?), and the different gameplay. It wasn't a bad game, but lacked the magic of the original.

That said, I'd be totally on board for an HD remake of NiGhTs and/or Christmas NiGhTs(preferably both in one package) on xbox live/PSN. They already did one Sega Saturn HD remake(Guardian Heroes), so it's possible at least.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 10:27 pm

Great game. I played it for the first time a couple years ago, and I still come back to it every once in a while. I doubt we'll see an official remake, but maybe someone will make a texture pack for emulators, if they haven't already.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 2:02 am

Sagroth wrote:
My main issues with Journey Into Dreams were the unskippable cutscenes, the British nanny voice for NiGhTs(whatever happened to the whole androgyny thing?), and the different gameplay. It wasn't a bad game, but lacked the magic of the original.

That said, I'd be totally on board for an HD remake of NiGhTs and/or Christmas NiGhTs(preferably both in one package) on xbox live/PSN. They already did one Sega Saturn HD remake(Guardian Heroes), so it's possible at least.
There's already an enhanced graphical remake of NiGHTS on PS2. It also includes Christmas NiGHTS, as well as the ability to play the original Saturn version. It's Japan-only, however.

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 7:39 am

SyphonFilter wrote:
Sagroth wrote:

There's already an enhanced graphical remake of NiGHTS on PS2. It also includes Christmas NiGHTS, as well as the ability to play the original Saturn version. It's Japan-only, however.

FFFUUUUUUU-

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 1:20 pm

SyphonFilter is correct. It was a very late release in the PS2 lifecycle (2009/10) and it works a charm. I used to have it some time ago and forgot all about it! If you can acquire it somehow :lol: give it a try.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 11:53 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
SyphonFilter is correct. It was a very late release in the PS2 lifecycle (2009/10) and it works a charm. I used to have it some time ago and forgot all about it! If you can acquire it somehow :lol: give it a try.
I have a friend who imported the PS2 version (he had to use a freeloader disc to bypass the PS2's region lock). It plays good, but I'll always have a place in my heart for the original Saturn version (which I still think is the best version) and 3D Saturn controller.