Are there any computer programs to help with severe autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Jpat320
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2011, 7:47 pm

Both my girlfriend and I are A/S with similar personality traits, and we get along fantastically. Her oldest son, 7, has severe autism with little to no language skills (apart from some sign here and there) and a very short attention span for what disinterests him.

While very concentrated to certain things, he absolutely loves getting on the computer. So we are considering getting him a small cheap laptop and are hoping to use it to his benefit. Therefor we are on the hunt for software programs that have established a positive reputation for dealing with autism. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Has anyone heard of Gemm Learning?

Thank you all in advance for the thoughts, considerations, and replies!

-John

Georgia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Dec 2011, 9:54 pm

You might try this one:

http://www.laureatelearning.com/

I used it for a time at my old job. You'd need to have very specific goals in mind for him to work on to make the most use of it. Does he already have access to a Speech Language Pathologist and/or an Occupational Therapist?

I haven't heard of Gemm Learning, but an SLP and an OT --as well as his team at school--may have some ideas.
If they could help you to find effective low to no-cost programs etc. that'd be good. I sure you already know how expensive things can get! :)

Jpat320
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2011, 10:11 pm

Georgia wrote:
Does he already have access to a Speech Language Pathologist and/or an Occupational Therapist?

Yes he has access to both of them. Thank you very much for the advice. We will be sure to check it out! :)