Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

themarsman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2011, 12:44 pm

Hey Wrong Planet, long time no see!

I'm wondering if anyone else obsesses over Apple the way I do. People I know IRL, even my parents, can't understand how important and amazing it is to me. So, I ask the question, are there any other Apple/Mac Aspies out there? There's got to be someone.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 1:00 pm

I love my iPhone and iPod-I am a PC person though.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 1:33 pm

Yeah, me. I wp on my ipad and will try to get the iPhone whatever-generation-is-newest and a MacBook pro.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 4:43 am

I love Apple, I spend most of my money on their products :P

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2012, 12:09 pm

I live on my iPod Touch and take it everywhere with me. I also have 7 various Macs around. I've never used any other computer brand.

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2012, 5:57 pm

Well I am more an apple person than a PC person but I really like Linux most ;)
I use my iPod (sometimes my brother's iPad), Win7 and Linux everyday :)

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 6:31 pm

I'm kind of the opposite. Despite my owning an iPhone, I really dislike Apple. Everything is far too expensive, and I don't really see why it's so great. If you get everything set up properly, Linux is just as good, plus it's free. Which brings me to my other qualm with Apple. They are far too controlling of software, especially with iPhones. Nothing gets on there unless they allow it to.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2012, 1:08 am

I find OS X to be generally superior to Windows, both technically and in the user interface. However, Apple products are more expensive compared to IBM compatibles and they have less third party support - although the software that does exist for the Macintosh tends to be quite good, especially the software first developed for the Macintosh.

I own both a Macintosh and PC desktop. The PC is nice for games and the wider selection of software (for the more obscure stuff, ultimately), and the Macintosh is nice for everyday life. The Mac would work fine for games, too, except that there aren't many Mac ports.. and running Bootcamp on a Mac is pretty pointless :)

As far as Linux, OS X is built on Unix as well, and it's semi-open source.. it's not free (not really), though. Linux is sort of PC+Mac - very solid OS foundation, literally decades of software, much of it free, but if it doesn't work on your system you'll have to dig around for a while to figure it out.. and Linux does feel faster than either OS X or Windows, at least Ubuntu 10.X did, never tried 11.. for me though, Linux just doesn't have that broad base of really good software.. and I always run into some issue with my max monitor resolution not being supported, and I try to edit the various mysterious .config files and it never works, or I can't quite get two monitors to work, or my ATI/AMD GPU isn't supported, etc. etc. etc.. I don't have those sorts of issues with Windows or OS X. Still, for raw speed, Linux is the best.

Overall, I'm glad we have OS X/Macintosh, Windows, and Linux/Unix.. they have all influenced the others, making them all better. The Windows filesystem UI was quite horrible until MS finally took the plunge and copied Macintosh (who originally copied Xerox anyway..) :) and Unix is the original popular multiuser/multitasking OS.. etc etc etc

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2012, 1:12 am

SO, as far as Apple obsession, I'd probably be more obsessed if I had more cash :) They make very nice products.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 6:57 am

I wrote software for Apple III, Lisa, and Mac until - sometime in the nineties - the ceaseless churn turned me off. That and the continued failure to profit from it all.

Until 2011, when the iOS wave finally washed over me. Even in my day job I managed enough hours on a Mac to learn programming basics last year.