Total votes : 203

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 6:09 am

Words: Thinking in words/thinking TO oneself
Concepts: Thinking in, "concepts."
Other: Anything else, e.g. numbers, non-word sounds, et cetera

Concepts: This is hard to explain verbally, but basically, it involves thinking of something abstract [How does one explain this in words?] and following that with something with some kind of, "connection," which pulls the, "frame of thought," toward the next concept. Eventually, the thoughts become words and are stated (in conversation, in writing, in other communication) or become images or other things. From a detached perspective, it seems to be something about my brain that remained relatively unchanged before and after learning language, and the concepts are very abstract and difficult to name. They, "translate," fairly well into sensations (especially visual and tactile) but not words and provide few means of naming emotions.

[You're welcome to explain your process by posting.]

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 6:59 am

I think in a mixture of the three, and I have asd, Asperger's to be exact.

At times it is mostly image, at times words, and at times concepts.

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 5:07 pm

jamieevren1210 wrote:
I think in a mixture of the three, and I have asd, Asperger's to be exact.

At times it is mostly image, at times words, and at times concepts.

They're about to combine the related spectrum conditions into ASD. I think it will help with the excessive cases of Münchausen's (which you'll recognize as Internet Asperger's as an excuse for having nothing more than Troll Disorder) and the mental ability bias, but it will be difficult for the community because of the loss of the distinctions made. It will require more effort on the part of the more socially adept members because all on the spectrum will be nothing more than autistic, which still seems to carry the negative stereotype of non-verbal or emotionally disturbed. However, I was mildly surprised to see that a lot of people on the spectrum share the concept-thought.

[As a distinction to further voters, it would be better if the dominant method of thought is selected. Most thoughts can be converted to other forms, but this poll requests the method generally used over a fairly long period.]

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 4:09 pm

I tend to think in pictures.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Jan 2012, 5:42 am

I think in words. I'm NOT a visual person at all & it may be related to me being born with an extremely rare genetic low vision disorder but my brain seems to have a problem processing stuff I do see visually too. I'm a very concrete thinker & s#ck with abstract stuff but some stuff I've read says it's an Aspie thing thou some here are quite good with that

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

17 Jan 2012, 1:21 am

kevinjh wrote:
Concepts: This is hard to explain verbally, but basically, it involves thinking of something abstract [How does one explain this in words?] and following that with something with some kind of, "connection," which pulls the, "frame of thought," toward the next concept. Eventually, the thoughts become words and are stated (in conversation, in writing, in other communication) or become images or other things. From a detached perspective, it seems to be something about my brain that remained relatively unchanged before and after learning language, and the concepts are very abstract and difficult to name. They, "translate," fairly well into sensations (especially visual and tactile) but not words and provide few means of naming emotions.

I'd describe it as comparing the object in my thoughts to a scenario that could possibly happen in my life. Almost like a comparison, actually... I'm not sure how else to describe it.

I voted for concepts.

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 4:08 am

Fascinating.. To think that I thought I thought in a unique way that turned out to be common among fellow autistics.

I wish the neurologically typical would also join in the voting.

[O Fortvna bona, si volvntas vostrae est, mihi da vltra svper plvs indicia!]

PhantomPiper
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jan 2012, 12:56 pm

I think too much for me to really pin it down as one. I sometimes think in concepts, sometimes I think in pictures or maybe a mixture of the two and I very rarely think in words. The only time I can think of thinking in words is when I'm typing things.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 5:28 pm

I do think in all three ways, but thinking in images is what I do most.

Skateri
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Feb 2012, 10:49 am

I think in all three... And of course every time I need to explain anything important I think in concepts which is very hard to explain so the recipient understands it... The story of my life... xD But when I'm alone I think in words and/or pictures...

"If you can dream it, you can do it!" - Walt Disney

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 3:22 pm

Concepts

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 8:01 pm

My thoughts are mostly imagery and formless spatial-schematics, with a smattering of sensory-perceptual "other"...

Love transcends all.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 1:24 am

A combination of everything.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 4:00 pm

It's a mix of all three for AS.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 5:52 pm

Words and concepts for me. I can't think in pictures at all. Even most of my memories are words/feelings rather than pictures.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:34 am

It's weird. I think in pictures of words.
I don't see an image when you say a word, I see the word either on white or brown paper. Sometimes the word has color.

If you speak sentences, it's like I'm reading a book.

I actually don't know whether to call that thinking in images or words, or synesthesia, or what. I'm ASD, btw.