Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Deccajay
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 10:20 pm

Hi, I have Asperger's and I have worked with many autistic children. I have seen many cases of autistic sibblings, and heared several cases of parents of autistic children haveing Asperger's. As a young woman with Asperger's considering becoming a mother in the future I am concerend and would like to be able to find as much information as posible. has anyone here had experinec with being parent on the spectrum with a child on the spectrom? are there any parents here who are on the spectrum with children who are not? and if anyone knows of any links that may help me I would be verey greatfull, thank you.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 10:22 pm

I am the only person in my family who was diagnosed with AS.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 10:29 pm

Well, it probably depends on who you choose to breed with. My husband and I have an autistic son. Looking at our histories, it seems that husband is autistic and I'm very likely to be Asperger's. We didn't know anything about autism before, except what the Media portrays :x . But we matched up well with each other. We wanted a child like ourselves but didn't have any labels for it. We also didn't know about the developmental delays that would ensue. If I had the chance to do it over again, I would have learned ASL (American Sign) and worked on my son's communication at an earlier age.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 10:30 pm

Maybe my great-grandfather, Adolph Milata, had it, but I have no way of truly knowing.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 10:31 pm

Autism spectrum disorders seem to run in my mom's side of my family.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 10:33 pm

My mother is also bipolar.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 11:41 pm

My dad is aspergers, my mum is NT.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 11:52 pm

Spectrum disorders run on both sides of my family. It seems as though It hit me like a bolt of lightning.

Crosser
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2006, 1:33 am

I'm AS and my sister has OCD. I still think she's wierder. But in the rest of my family, I'm pretty sure they're not. Oh, but my grandma has something but I'm pretty sure it's not AS. So for me, it was a fluke.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 1:42 am

I left my DNA in two kids. I'm aspie and my ex is the exact opposite of everything aspie. One of my DNA daughters is pretty obviously aspie. I don't think the other one is.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 11:09 am

There is a strong genetic link in autism. However, the fact that the condition is often misdiagnosed and that it is a spectrum condition makes it very difficult to trace it through the family tree. The genetic interactions that result in autism are also likely to be much more complex than the genetic interactions that lead to bigger or smaller peas that Mendel described. Hence, even though there may be particular genes or cluster of genes that express for autism, it does not mean that having those genes will lead to autism. And we cannot yet declare that there is no external vector that triggers autism in the presence of certain genetic conditions. In other words, while the data is suggestive of a genetic link, nothing is conclusive.

Will one’s children be autistic if one is autistic? I would love to see the data on that. There must be some study that has been done on Aspie parent/s and their children. I would advise you to do a Medline search or go down to your local library and see if you local librarian can help you with it. When you have done that, share your findings with us! :)

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 11:26 am

I don't know enough about other forms of autism to have an opinion, but I know a little about asperger's. I can easily believe there's loci scattered all over the genome that influence the variable traits, and maybe the strength of the core traits, but the core traits, nonverbal disability and obsessive interests, are pretty clear. Otherwise there wouldn't be such a thing as an aspie. We really are different.

How about a little parsimony, bozo? Single phenotype implies single genotype.

-Malvina

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 11:27 am

there is a genetic link for autism ect, just make sure that help and everything is in place if and when people with aspeger's have children so that they can cope.

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 11:33 am

I can see a lot of ways that an external vector could make people dumber, But aspies are only dumb about certain things.

It seems extremely unlikely that an external vector would characteristically make people smarter.

-Malvina

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 11:42 am

CanyonWind wrote:
I don't know enough about other forms of autism to have an opinion, but I know a little about asperger's. I can easily believe there's loci scattered all over the genome that influence the variable traits, and maybe the strength of the core traits, but the core traits, nonverbal disability and obsessive interests, are pretty clear. Otherwise there wouldn't be such a thing as an aspie. We really are different.

Wow, are you talking to me? Listen pal, you are the first jerk that I have encountered on this forum and I would strong suggest that you cut out your trailer trash talk.

Deccajay
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 12:17 pm

CanyonWind wrote:

is this how you really treat eachother here? I understud this is a freandly place and I dont really seee anything that was said in this tread that requires criticism. Bozo?