Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 2:24 pm

I am a mother with Aspergers Syndrome, my son was diagnosed with Autism, my youngest son may have possibly Aspergers, he'll be re-evaluated at 4 yrs of age.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2006, 7:50 pm

As a matter of fact, singapore sam, I have lived in a trailer and I been poor most of my life. So I guess that means I really am trailer trash, so I might as well talk like trailer trash. Y'know something else, I don't judge people by their possesions, and I ain't ashamed of being poor.

Parenthetically, I didn't really mean to insult you, and the views you expressed in your post were entirely legitimate even though I am inclined to somewhat disagree about the number of critical loci involved. I just couldn't resist using "parsimony" and "bozo" in the same sentence.

Anyway, since we got the pacific ocean and a third of north america between us, ain't much point in talking macho s**t, cause can't neither one of us back it up anyway.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 7:13 am

We can express ourselves far more cogently when we avoid the use of words that demean and insult. All of us here have been through a lot in our lives. I for one have suffered a great deal of abuse and I come here to this message board because I expect to find people who understand what that means. Just about everyone I know thinks that it has been my fault that my life did not work out and I think that every Aspie would agree with me that it is not ALL our fault. I have no intention of "backing up" anything. In my opinion, anyone who victimizes anyone else needs to be barred from this board, even if you are autistic yourself. There many people here who are far too fragile to put up with that kind of torment on their on time and what they would regard as their own space. It has nothing to do with class, race or nationality. We are all simply having a conversation amongst ourselves about something that we all care deeply about. There is absolutely no reason not to be polite and civil.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 10:31 am

Deccajay started this thread seeking input about concerns she has about her own future and the kids she may have. I think that's more important than my own ego, and I wouldn't feel right about turning this thread into a personal argument. If you think it's worth pursuing, you're free to start another thread and we can see where it goes.

So anyway, whose got more to say that might help Deccajay learn to be the best parent she can be?

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

JonDevine
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2006, 1:17 pm

My dad has all the same symptoms that I do, however, he has not been diagnosed. My brother has ADD, which is often comorbid or mistaken for AS. My grandmother was diagnosed as a Hypochrondriac, but I can say from personal experience and extensive research she is schizophrenic. There is a relation between Autism and genetics, but it isn't very clear.

Jon Devine, social correspondant

Deccajay
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 2:27 pm

I have been trying to do some reaserch, other than just poasting here, and as I expected all I can find is about siblings on the spectrum. I dont understand why someone would not reaserch parent and child autism. I have e-mailed different orginizations and they admit there is little reserch done on the subject.

and the orginizations that chose to totaly igonre the question and send out a generic answer tsaying to read some book frustrate me...........sorry i just had to ad that, grr

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 11:25 pm

I don't know if anyone else in my famiy has AS. If anyone does, then it'd have to be my Dad. But I really don't know what he has exactly since he is the kind of man who WILL NOT see a doctor. He only went to the doctor the first time in 77 years just a few months ago. And the only reason he went then is that he had a heart attack. He has a phobia of doctors.

My Dad has one mean case of OCD. But he also has a some symptoms that fit into AS as well. He is the kind of man who methodically choses his words and gives you only the cream that rises to the top. And that's pretty much how i am too. I have OCD tendancies that I work hard to overcome (if ever only temporarily). My brother is AADD. I have another brother who shows some symptoms of OCD but what ever it is, it manifests itself in him by his having a fear of failure that is so powerful that he liertally won't stop working to save his life. He won't stop anything really. And does things like working out to the point where he stays in a perpetual sate of disreapir.

But the rest of my fsamily can function quite well out in the public. They all hold jobs and are in the public much of the time. I however, am not. On all counts. So if they have As, they are functioning quite well with the disorder. My Dad? he wouldn't go to a psychologist if his life depended on it. So when it comes to my Dad and any mental illness he may have, it will forever remain a mystery. He's untouchable as far as getting diagnosed is concerned. He has OCD. I am absolutely positive about that. Anyone can see it. He doesn't even rrealize it himself so he makes no effort to cover the symptoms up. Me, on the other hand, it's my little secret and I try to let NO ONE see it. It gets difficult...