Where did everyone else learn about make-up and stuff? help

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 10:13 am

When I was very young (so about 12) my sister who was 17 then and went into disco every weekend, showed me some basics. My sister in law (? - the wife of my partners stepbrother) showed me a more difficult one, because my mother in law is so much into external stuff like fashion and make up and the sister in law is working as a kind of fashionhelper, but it was reilly complicated and I had to write so much down. So I know she meant it to help me, but I dont think that I had a benefit from it, because I would have to exercise that stuff so that it looks good, but I only have make up on my face twice a year and thats only basic stuff. So for weddings and so I would need a more complicated one, but I only have such occasions every 2-3 years, and thats not enough to get experienced on it.

In twelve weeks I will have my wedding and happily the hairdressers agreed also to help me with the make up. XD So they have two young woman in that shop working, and all off them are very intense about hairdressing and make up, so I hope all will be going well. (At least they wont do it worse then I. ^^)

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 7:22 pm

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 7:40 pm

I learned myself. I'm an artist, so I think that helped, but I would copy looks that I wanted. What's difficult is learning the technique to make your makeup look like the picture you tried to copy. We didn't have the internet when I was a teenager, but like everyone else said, it would probably be the quickest way to learn. Watching makeup tutorials will give you application technique instead of just telling you what colors to use.

My advice is don't copy a picture by trying to look like that person. You need to find what suits your features best. That can take trial and error so keep at it! I became extremely good at it because it an obsession for a couple of years. :)

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 11:23 pm

Seventeen magazine and makeover shows on TV.

I hardly ever wear makeup, though. Feels uncomfortable and just another thing to worry about.

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2013, 6:07 pm

In high school, I never could 'get it' - and I went through a long period of not wanting to be a faker and wanting to only 'be myself'. This however, got me in more trouble and picked on as being different and odd.
..later in college, I took a class in stage make up for one of my humanities requirements. i have pretty good small motor skills, and so I learned all sorts of techniques and principles for altering a person's appearance. Of course, one of the required characters was 'the ingenue' or young woman's face. I got pretty good at it and applied the techniques to myself for better or worse. I just learned to look at my face as a 'blank' canvas and tried out different things - glamor, horror, all sorts of stuff. I learned artificial aging, and all sorts of 'dreadful' effects like scars and such...it was fun in the end, and gave me a lot of confidence in creating an appearance.

This was when I was learning how my outward appearance seriously affected how people interacted with me. The idea of world as 'theater' was very educational for me... The more NT (average normal) I looked, the easier it became to interact with others...so if I was in a lipstick and mascara wearing event, I at least knew how to put it on. One of the nicest aspects was not standing out as weird...people tended to ignore me..ie. not stare! Which suited me just fine...

labomba
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2013, 8:35 pm

I learned from you tube and magazines. at first I didnt have a steady hand and was not so great but overtime I got really good and I love wearing makeup

Superflynurse
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Mar 2013, 9:51 pm

My younger sister would put it on me at first while I was in highschool and College. Now I dont wear any,but she did teach me where each color goes and how to blend eyeshadow.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 11:05 am

My Aspie friend: makeup is her special interest! She even has a semi-popular youtube channel where she demonstrates a variety of different looks. Example below:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_sueuafp9E[/youtube]

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 8:17 pm

Thankfully, although I do not much like my mother (I do believe she is major OCD and probably some Aspie or something else), I think she realized she was never taught and probably felt she also could not teach my sister and I. When in high school, she signed us up for a class Sears used to have (years ago) that was to teach girls about how to put make up on, table manners, how to dress, etc...Although I will never be like most girls who can do their hair great, makeup, etc...I do ok when I need to...

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2013, 3:03 am

I don't wear much makeup, but when I was younger, I was obsessed with it, especially lipstick! Watching people put it on on TV taught me how to do it, and I practised the lipsticking skills on myself, my mum and my grandma! :lol:

Room217
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Apr 2013, 8:40 pm

I had this teenage violin tutor when I was younger, and his mom showed me how one day. I've always felt more at ease with adults than I have with people my own age, so most of the advice I got on anything came from them. I have a friend who learned how to do hers from tutorials on the internet, so that's always an option. The trick is to keep it simple until you're comfortable with what you're doing.