Anyone else wish we used images instead of words?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 12:08 am

Australien wrote:
No way, not me. My drawing skills are horrifically bad, and I find unlabelled images to be vague and annoying. I don't want to have to try and read your mind to figure out what you mean by your images. The trend toward more such unlabelled images in computer user interfaces (new gmail, Mac OS X) is one I loathe.

hey i know this is off topic but your user name- it wouldnt be based off of any graffiti would it? in nsw? (made it vague in case you're concerned about security) it's just that i was walking the streets one day and saw this ace mural and it had your name all over it.

on topic: sign language? yeah i'd be ok with that. as interesting as some peoples voices are to listen to, sign language is just way better in some situations(trains, buses, theatre, church(so i could ignore the priest/have a dialogue on the side) etc) and it's really beautiful to watch. it'd be cool if we could learn it at school. how else are we supposed to be able to talk to deaf people or understand mute people. problem with this is that there are blind people around and this wouldnt benefit them much. be better if we could just communicate actual pictures though but no one here is telepathic. when you(op) first said speak in pictures my first thought was an image of pictures coming out of somebodys mouth because it would make sense for that to happen in real life. :roll: and somebody mentioned nvld.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 12:11 am

Personally, I see my sketchbook as a journal and am very frustrated that others do not. I often draw out situations as comics rather than writing about them in a journal, and since they live in my sketchbook I do not want others reading it. However, everyone always gets offended when I tell them no.

I don't think it's realistic. People think that pictures are meant to be shown off, but like words, sometimes you want to keep them to yourself.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 12:37 am

I wish everyone could use telepathy instead of spoken language.

ThDude
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2012, 12:46 am

Actualy a lot of blind people use sign language, mor so the blind and deaf people.

As you sign the blind deaf(BD) would hold his or her hands over yours to feel the hand shapes and sign movements, a really cool thing is they can tell what emotion you are feeling by the way you sign.

However I know the touching thing is not best for everyone but the BD community is small.

American sign language is bein taught in highschool now and is on the rise. People wh are deaf now are seen on tv, movies, and media a lot more. Look at switched at birth, the tv show.

I love to talk but I like sign language a lot more. Pluss the deaf and hearing world need to reach each other.

PiriReis
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jan 2012, 3:22 am

I have always thought it would be awesome to have a wire that connected straight to our brains for certain things...like if you are having a bump in your conversation you could say "wait a minute, let me connect you...now does it make sense?" Then they could see that visual image without the 1,000 words it takes to describe it!
Not saying we should be cyborgs, just that an occasional brain patch would be kinda fun and educational for everyone!

thegatekeeper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2012, 3:49 am

Hieroglyphics are pretty awesome, although I hesitate to thoroughly tout them...

Mostly my meaning is in the purely sci-fi realm...like telepathic image/emotional sharing via a direct link to thoughts without the ligand of spoken words, however we could choose to terminate/initiate a connection just like we do when speaking... give me a gap junction type of communication any day

I like writing/reading because I CAN usually spell out what I want to convey/perceive fairly accurately because I can take my time... I stumble, stutter, etc when speaking. I was hyperlexic as a child, placed in advanced reading classes in 2nd grade because I was so bored when everyone was reading "If you give a mouse a cookie..." At home, I was reading The Secret Garden and Black Beauty.

To the poster about the sign language...I think that would be very good for me; I'm very good with my hands and would appreciate the supposed bluntness of the language

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 3:59 am

Unfortunately, I think that pictures can be even more easily misinterpreted than words in many instances. See: interpreting art.

Also, when it comes to words: remember that language and meaning are two separate things. All translations of meaning are limited in some form or another.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Jan 2012, 4:09 am

When I'm just browsing the internet and trying to find things with google, I will sometimes actually forget I can't do this and get stuck wanting to do an image search from my brain. I usually get over it quickly.

But to answer the question, yes, I often wish I could communicate in ways other than words.

thegatekeeper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2012, 5:33 am

Sagroth wrote:
Unfortunately, I think that pictures can be even more easily misinterpreted than words in many instances. See: interpreting art.

Also, when it comes to words: remember that language and meaning are two separate things. All translations of meaning are limited in some form or another.

How about "augmented" verbal communication? Using words, images and emotions....triple attack

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 5:40 am

ThDude wrote:
Stargazer43 wrote:
How would you talk in images?
Sign language, as I said.

Works or the deaf and the mute, and maybe aspies now too?

And what do you do when you're doing something else with you hands like eating or driving? I can see how it is useful for the deaf but it is hardly a viable substitute.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Jan 2012, 5:43 am

It's a viable substitute, but I think not quite as precise/detailed as others (like me) in this thread are talking about.

I learned a lot of ASL in grade school, on account of deaf students having their own class. I held very limited conversations with one of them (one of the few people who didn't treat me like kryptonite in grade school), but I forgot much of it. I love ASL, and would definitely learn it again. Especially since I am not always able to talk.

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 5:46 am

thegatekeeper wrote:
Sagroth wrote:

How about "augmented" verbal communication? Using words, images and emotions....triple attack

I can dig it.

Az29
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2012, 5:49 am

ainsel wrote:
I've always wished that I could show people my thoughts in pictures rather than translating into words.

^This. I find it hard describing things at times and it would be so much easier to just show someone inside my head.

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2012, 8:01 am

VMSmith wrote:

hey i know this is off topic but your user name- it wouldnt be based off of any graffiti would it? in nsw? (made it vague in case you're concerned about security) it's just that i was walking the streets one day and saw this ace mural and it had your name all over it.

Most likely, the mural is inspired by the same thing my handle is inspired by. I don't and have never lived in NSW.

Just out of interest, was this around the north coast? Somewhere around Byron Bay?

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 3:28 am

Australien wrote:
VMSmith wrote:

Most likely, the mural is inspired by the same thing my handle is inspired by. I don't and have never lived in NSW.

Just out of interest, was this around the north coast? Somewhere around Byron Bay?

i guess you live further up coast than i'd thought. it was in the back streets of newtown/enmore. it covers the entire wall. this is it but i dont know what inspired it:

[img][800:968]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qyhZ9_eXCHM/TMiXkrEaFUI/AAAAAAAAGnQ/LYbvidBqkII/s1600/we+come+in+piece2.JPG[/img]

?Whatever happens and even if I get beaten up a second or a third time, I will remain in the union. It is my soul,... If you knew what was happening inside the company, you would understand why I think like this.?- Spinneys workers union leader, lebanon.

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2012, 3:38 am

dianthus wrote:
I wish everyone could use telepathy instead of spoken language.