Anyone else wish we used images instead of words?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

thegatekeeper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2012, 8:18 pm

I think and understand in images (moving and non-moving) and non-verbal sounds (Music, etc...)

Words are so woefully inadequate... I would never be misunderstood if we could do this.... *screams at the human race....EVOLVE dammit, EVOOOLLLVVVEEE!*

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2012, 9:07 pm

That's a very common AS trait. Actually there are alot of animals with less evolved brains who use visual processing to reason and communicate with each other. The use of verbal reasoning is thought to be associated with the frontal lobe and language processing happens within the neocortex; both are relatively "new" structures. However it's the picture thinkers that end up being gifted engineers, architects, and artists. Think of it as an ability, and not a source of frustration.

ThDude
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2012, 9:29 pm

this is interesting.

backstory: my sister is deaf in one ear and her good ear is almost all the way gone.

now: due to her lack of hearing i started taking a American sign language class at my local college and it is the best thing ever!

there are almost no hidden meanings behind signs(words), everything is blunt, when you sign(talk) you say what you mean. everything is litteral(almost).

i found it wonderful, i really like it and i will be taking all the American sign language classes(i will get a degree in it i think) and it counts as a second language.

MissWiggy
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2012, 9:51 pm

I quite like words more.... although pictures are nice too... I like written words, but if forced to interact with people face to face, I think I would prefer to use pictures to convey certain thoughts.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2012, 10:59 pm

thegatekeeper wrote:
I think and understand in images (moving and non-moving) and non-verbal sounds (Music, etc...)

Words are so woefully inadequate... I would never be misunderstood if we could do this.... *screams at the human race....EVOLVE dammit, EVOOOLLLVVVEEE!*

Sooooooooooo . . . you think we should return to hieroglyphics? :P

typewriter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2012, 11:10 pm

For me, conveying what I mean in words is a challenging and pleasurable undertaking. Music is easier, but more difficult to disseminate. Lead me to a piano and I'll make you cry. Lead me to a typewriter and I'll do the same.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2012, 11:13 pm

How would you talk in images?

ThDude
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2012, 12:52 am

Stargazer43 wrote:
How would you talk in images?
Sign language, as I said.

Works or the deaf and the mute, and maybe aspies now too?

AbqAsP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2012, 9:22 am

I've always wished for a projector so I didn't have to so insufficiently describe everything so slowly. Like people might get me better.

ainsel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2012, 10:03 am

I've always wished that I could show people my thoughts in pictures rather than translating into words. I remember reading Breaking Dawn (do not judge me; I hate the Twilight Series as much as you do) and being so jealous of the baby who had the ability to put images directly into other people's heads. I wish I could do that.

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2012, 6:34 pm

No way, not me. My drawing skills are horrifically bad, and I find unlabelled images to be vague and annoying. I don't want to have to try and read your mind to figure out what you mean by your images. The trend toward more such unlabelled images in computer user interfaces (new gmail, Mac OS X) is one I loathe.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 6:42 pm

Nope, as then I'd be megascrewed with my NVLD (nonverbal learning disorder) instead of only kinda screwed. Verbal is pretty much my best way of communicating, if people can listen to what I say instead of how I say it. People tell me in real life I'm too monotone and boring, but my sister says I seem "cool" on the computer writing stuff. Me, if I can't describe it in words, I find more words, and just type like 10 paragraphs to describe like, a rock or something. I basically can't think visually like, very well at all. Like math, I managed to bruteforce through math in elementary school, not by actually learning to do math visually in my head, but I literally just spent hours memorizing multiplication and division tables.

Different curses or gifts for different people I guess.

MrJosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2012, 7:01 pm

I can see positives and negatives to it. We couldn't really have cnversations though and it could be challenging if it were facial expressions of some people.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 7:39 pm

I was always thinking in music and colours, until I started studying and had to interact more with people.
That really confuses me still. So then I started to think in words and they are very uncontrolled in my head. It's like auditive overload that you have no filters and all the sounds are the same aloud. That is, what I experience in thinking now, that all verbal thoughts are the same "present" and it is just confusing. I cannot make a distinction between "important" and "unimportant" thoughts. So it just keeps going around in my mind.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 12:06 am

I am a visual thinker.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 12:08 am

Australien wrote:
No way, not me. My drawing skills are horrifically bad, and I find unlabelled images to be vague and annoying. I don't want to have to try and read your mind to figure out what you mean by your images. The trend toward more such unlabelled images in computer user interfaces (new gmail, Mac OS X) is one I loathe.

hey i know this is off topic but your user name- it wouldnt be based off of any graffiti would it? in nsw? (made it vague in case you're concerned about security) it's just that i was walking the streets one day and saw this ace mural and it had your name all over it.

on topic: sign language? yeah i'd be ok with that. as interesting as some peoples voices are to listen to, sign language is just way better in some situations(trains, buses, theatre, church(so i could ignore the priest/have a dialogue on the side) etc) and it's really beautiful to watch. it'd be cool if we could learn it at school. how else are we supposed to be able to talk to deaf people or understand mute people. problem with this is that there are blind people around and this wouldnt benefit them much. be better if we could just communicate actual pictures though but no one here is telepathic. when you(op) first said speak in pictures my first thought was an image of pictures coming out of somebodys mouth because it would make sense for that to happen in real life. :roll: and somebody mentioned nvld.