Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 7:30 am

I don't understand some jokes, they drive me really mad. I tend to believe people make fun of me. And then i'm very angry and start to fight. Many told me i'm paranoid, but i don't think people are against me just i don't understand their jokes and sometimes i feel humiliated.
Is that an asperger trait or i am really paranoid?

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 7:56 am

How comfortable are you about your AS with NT's. I don't get jokes sometimes, and if it's someone I don't know well, I'll just laugh to be polite, but with people I know better i'll admit when something goes over my head, an sometimes they laugh, and yes they are laughing at me, but it IS funny! I have no problem with laughing at myself. Yea I'm different, but there are people who love me for it. The rest that don't can go jump in a puddle. I dont reveal that to just anyone though! I am a lot more reserved around others.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 8:45 am

I'm allergic to mean people that make fun of me. It is about stupid jokes that are not funny at all.
For example "what's up with you today, did your pig died", "have you forgot your glasses, why don't you say hello to me"?
It's about the bloc administrator. He is such an as*hole! I went to buy some hot chocolate and i didn't observed that he was there, and he amended me like i was a stupid scholar and he was the teacher. And the salewoman was laughing at me too :x
Sorry, my english is bad :(

Last edited by AnotherKind on 03 Jan 2012, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 9:04 am

One thing we do a lot at work is "playful picking", where friends say or do things to each other that are rude or innapproprate but it's a bonding thing. I think to a certain degree it's also used to establish hierarchy within a group, but is that ME being paranoid? Maybe I don't know.

I work in a large warehouse on 2nd shift and it's a relatively small group and we all get along really good. I've been there ten years. Now I'm going to first shift, and there's 5 times as many people there, and I don't know most of them. Getting to know everyone on 2nd shift sort of happened by accident over a long period of time. I'm a little nervous about going to 1st shift and being on the fringe again. I'm going to try and take what i've learned with me though.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 9:57 am

I used to think everybody was teasing me when I was a child, but as I got older I knew that they were joking around in the first place but knew I got wound up and so they turned it into constant teasing. If I had just laughed and took it as a joke in the first place, I probably would have fitted in more.

Now I can sense whether somebody is teasing me or just joking. I can't explain how or why, but I know in my head if somebody is joking or teasing.

Fiebre
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2012, 9:40 pm

I myself can make jokes and, well, comments that make people laugh and I do get jokes most of the time... But some people remember too well when I don't. My friends still remind me how in the third Harry Potter movie Ron woke up from a nightmare and said that in the dream spiders wanted him to tap-dance - they all laughed and I still don't get what's so funny. Yeah, absurd, ok, so? Maybe that's just not my type of a joke - I'm sure NTs have these, too, but it's just a particular case that I remembered.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 6:45 am

I was at a party/dance/show with some friends who are a little older than me. I mentioned something about us being older than the other people at the event (most of them were in their 20s and I was including myself in my reference). I was actually trying to make everyone feel good about being youthful, mixing well with a young crowd. My female friend pretended to take offence and I knew she was just pretending. But I don't like to offend anyone and I tried to explain myself in a different way. I know I should have been thinking of another funny thing to say, but that doesn't come naturally. She then said, 'I was only kidding. You're so easy to wind up. I love winding you up'. I'm not upset by this, but I don't think she realises that I realise when she's only pretending.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 6:50 am

For me it seems that as much normal humor that I don't get I have my own type of humor. My family will sometimes say- yep thats an alex joke. For my moms birthday I got her a card (the brand was awkward family photos) that showed 2 pigs doing...something. I was laughing so hard I was crying

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 7:12 am

Humor took a lot of time and energy for me to develop. I still don't do sarcasm well or jokes that contradict reality.

When it comes to insult humor, I can now give better than I get. But that has also caused me trouble: I've had a few "not cool, bro" moments here and there.

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2012, 8:21 am

Joe90 wrote:
I used to think everybody was teasing me when I was a child, but as I got older I knew that they were joking around in the first place but knew I got wound up and so they turned it into constant teasing. If I had just laughed and took it as a joke in the first place, I probably would have fitted in more.

Now I can sense whether somebody is teasing me or just joking. I can't explain how or why, but I know in my head if somebody is joking or teasing.

This ^^. I was about 16-17 before I really started to figure this out.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 8:29 am

Whenever I got teased as a kid, I'd scream "STOP!!" and be in tears, but that just made it more enjoyable to my teasers. Now I don't react, and I can feel the disappontment just OOZING from people. :twisted:

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 8:44 am

It's funny. I seem to be opposite in that I often find things hilarious that others don't, or make jokes that they don't get or have to take a bit of time to think about.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 8:28 pm

I thought it was kind of funny that I told my NT spouse some of the jokes on the thread and he sis not understand why they were funny to me. He asked me to explain why a certain joke was funny and I tried but he just said that I lack the communication skills to explain why it's funny. I think that is kind of the point! LOL!!

savvyidentity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2013, 12:22 am

I don't know if I describe my sense of humour as dry like you can find cited in places but someone said it was once. I think more ironic and I think most people really don't get the idea of irony as humour. Can anyone say if I'm right about that?

Sometimes I won't get a joke someone else makes but I don't remember if it was ever an issue for how others see me.