The Man behind Darth Vader dies at 89

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

03 Jan 2012, 8:24 am

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/01/02/s ... s-aged-89/

RIP the "father"

Jojo

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 8:38 am

So Bob Anderson was the one who actually did the fighting in the original Star Wars films heh? I didn't know that, the credits showed three different people as playing the role of Darth Vader.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 9:34 am

Dave Prowse was the walking around Darth, James Earl Jones was the voice, Sebastian Shaw was the face.

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 9:45 am

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 19 Apr 2012, 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 2:14 am

Darth Vader was such a larger than life character, it's only proper that at least three men played him.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 12:16 pm

Some say that the Dark Nuclear Lord Vader was just misunderstood.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 1:27 pm

I just realized what this means; he started playing Vader in the first movie when he was 55. :?

I suppose that goes to show what an active lifestyle can do for ya person. I'd be more interested to find out if he was still in good enough shape to do it again in his last couple years.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 1:52 pm

The thing was, there was such bad blood between actor David Prowse, who had worn the Vader suit, and George Lucas, that in Return Of The Jedi, that Prowse was pretty much sidelined, sitting suited up with nothing to do, while Bob Anderson actually appeared in most of the movie as Vader. That is, till the climactic scene where Vader picks up the emperor and throws him down the nuclear reactor. Why they just didn't put the emperor on wires is anyone's guess, but the director insisted that Anderson lift him over his head - which is pretty well impossible for most men, and especially for one so old. So David Prowse, a former power lifter and body builder, volunteered to do the scene.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer